Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could when I was playing, banning under-age kids bowling short is not the answer.
Holy s**t that would be a horrific rule.

Can you imagine a kid who has just come out of junior cricket experiencing short bowling for the first time in grade cricket? It would be a disaster. Even in lower grades - right down to 5's in Sydney - there are some guys who can get the ball through with toe. 130+ for sure, some even a bit quicker, but they are erratic (which is often worse) and/or can't sustain that pace for a long period.

Feel for Hughes and the bowler as well, hope he pulls through, but in all this I can't help but think cricket has missed it's chance to prevent something like this happening, how a game can allow a ball to be bowled at a players head is beyond belief, the bouncer must be eradicated from the game, if an AFL player can miss a game for a head high hit, why can't a bowler be suspended for bowling a bouncer that hits a batsman.
Played all my cricket as an opener and never wore a helmet.

Feel for Hughes and the bowler as well, hope he pulls through, but in all this I can't help but think cricket has missed it's chance to prevent something like this happening, how a game can allow a ball to be bowled at a players head is beyond belief, the bouncer must be eradicated from the game, if an AFL player can miss a game for a head high hit, why can't a bowler be suspended for bowling a bouncer that hits a batsman.

Pretty much every death on the cricket field in Australia has come from heart attacks from getting hit on the heart.

This is despite helmets not being worn for over a century of cricket here.

And what happens if a batsman ducks into a bouncer?

Bouncers/short balls aren't used purely to harm a batsmen. Majority of the time it's to push them onto the back foot for the follow up full ball.

I have played majority of my cricket as an opening batsmen also and have never once batted without a lid. Even against spin/slow bowling why risk a top edge into your teeth?

Just went to news.com.au and they have a headline and a photo about haddin breaking down in tears after being at the hospital to see his close mate fighting for his life..ffs they aren't in their role as cricketers right now can't they just give them a little space?

Go there now and it's about the delay in calling an ambulance.Never mind that one of the best doctors in sport was there.

Pretty much every death on the cricket field in Australia has come from heart attacks from getting hit on the heart.

This is despite helmets not being worn for over a century of cricket here.

And what happens if a batsman ducks into a bouncer?
And what's more, I think you're opening a pretty big can of worms when you take such drastic measures. Not just in cricket, in sport more widely.

Would you ban a speccy in footy on the off chance that the person being speccied on gets stomped on the head?

The reality is, Hughes is desperately unlucky. Desperately.

My father recalls Viv Richards being hit straight on the forehead by either Lenny Pascoe or Rodney Hogg around 1980. Of course, Viv never wore a helmet in his life. Viv apparently stood there upright, shook his head a few times, gave his head a rub, and got on with it.

Now obviously he was probably exceptionally lucky- at the other end of the scale from Hughes- for a guy who copped a ball to the noggin. But, you have to be so unlucky to suffer the fate of someone like Hughes, or Chatfield, or Nari Contractor, that taking such a drastic step isn't worth it.

And what's more, I think you're opening a pretty big can of worms when you take such drastic measures. In cricket, and just in sport.

Would you ban a speccy in footy on the off chance that the person being speccied on gets stomped on the head?

The reality is, Hughes is desperately unlucky. Desperately.

My father recalls Viv Richards being hit straight on the forehead by either Lenny Pascoe or Rodney Hogg around 1980. Of course, Viv never wore a helmet in his life. Viv apparently stood there upright, shook his head a few times, gave his head a rub, and got on with it.

Now obviously he was probably exceptionally lucky- at the other end of the scale from Hughes- for a guy who copped a ball to the noggin. But, you have to be so unlucky to suffer the fate of someone like Hughes, or Chatfield, or Nari Contractor, that taking such a drastic step isn't worth it.

It was posted earlier but Brett Lee sconed Chanderpaul and Chanderpaul just collapsed.

He got up after treatment, batted on and scored a century without any health issues at all.

It's no comfort for Hughes and his family at the moment but it was just a sheer freak accident

It was posted earlier but Brett Lee sconed Chanderpaul and Chanderpaul just collapsed.

He got up after treatment, batted on and scored a century without any health issues at all.

It's no comfort for Hughes and his family at the moment but it was just a sheer freak accident
Yep. I think if you legislate for every potential freak accident, you end up not being able to do much.

The only people who think cricket is soft sport have clearly never played it. It's one of the toughest sports out there. Half of the most painful moments in my life have been on the cricket field.

Not just physically but mentally as well. You have to be seriously mentally tough to play cricket at the highest levels.

Holy s**t that would be a horrific rule.

Can you imagine a kid who has just come out of junior cricket experiencing short bowling for the first time in grade cricket? It would be a disaster. Even in lower grades - right down to 5's in Sydney - there are some guys who can get the ball through with toe. 130+ for sure, some even a bit quicker, but they are erratic (which is often worse) and/or can't sustain that pace for a long period.

Hapened to me a couple of seasons ago when I was in my final year of u16s. I had been picked for the 3rds and was batting for the first time at that level. The guy who I faced first was the opposition's best bowler and I remember him bowling about 2 balls at my body, a yorker and 2 bouncers of which one hit me on the head. These were at what I'd say is a reasonable speed of 125-130km/h. The only thing I can say is that I never wanted to play seniors again (although I did) after that innings. The opposition didn't do anything but sledge me as I was defending, jumping and ducking all over the place (not that I expected an apology). but s**t was I scared.

Brukner – "Phillip's condition remains unchanged and he is still critical"

As a layperson is this normal as part of the recovery process or is there cause for concern? :(

It doesn't mean anything either way, it's completely unpredictable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel for Hughes and the bowler as well, hope he pulls through, but in all this I can't help but think cricket has missed it's chance to prevent something like this happening, how a game can allow a ball to be bowled at a players head is beyond belief, the bouncer must be eradicated from the game,.

With the utmost respect, no.

That would upset the balance beween bat and ball and the very essence of cricket.

Agreed. It requires crazy amounts of concentration to play cricket. Some just don't have the temperament for it.

The mental fortitude and work ethic a guy like Hughes has shown time and again is astonishing tbh (to get picked in test match cricket, have his technique picked apart by world class bowlers, get dropped, then go away and score huge runs at Shield level and to improve his game. Despite the way he played the pull shot yesterday, his improvement against the short pitched ball has been impressive imo).

Many lesser men in his situation would of lost faith in themselves and delved into mediocrity. For a guy like him to pick himself up off the canvass and come again and again shows the character of the man.

I have played majority of my cricket as an opening batsmen also and have never once batted without a lid. Even against spin/slow bowling why risk a top edge into your teeth?

my old man did exactly that vs a medium pacer. The ball was a bit short so he went for a big cross bat slog. Hit the top edge and went straight into his face, broke his nose and he lost half his teeth (got them put back in). After that he decided he'd start batting with a helmet.

So it doesn't really matter if you ban the short ball.

The short ball is banned in U16s but in reality hardly anyone can bowl quick enough to get the ball that high anyway.

With the utmost respect, no.

That would upset the balance beween bat and ball and the very essence of cricket.

If people out there honestly think a bowler tries to hit a batsman in the head, they have no idea. The head is where the bowler aims because it's the perfect place for the short ball. Usually it is meant to entice the batsman into a hook or pull shot, hopefully in the air for a catch. The great quick bowlers vary the speed of the ball, the length, etc. It is NOT intended to injure the batsman.

What happened to Phil Hughes is a freak occurrence. Hopefully he will make a full recovery. However, as horrific as his injuries are, to suggest the short ball should be banned is just plain ridiculous. Many a batsman has made a lot of runs from the bouncer, it's here to stay.

There would be media there regardless of the situation. It's part of their job...

In these circumstances might they not have seen fit not to go there? No-one expects the media to interrogate and photograph people in shock from a friend and colleague being hospitalised and in a critical condition!

God some of you need to smarten up. If everybody stayed away from the trash that is Fox, Nine, Seven and News Limited they wouldn't be so ridiculously inconsiderate.

Stick to the ABC or something else with even a hint of sympathy for Hughes.

You get what you deserve for watching s**t. It's as simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back