News Phil Walsh - New AFC Coach and Art Critic

Remove this Banner Ad

Unlike Sando, Walsh has coach and respect written all over him
I get the feeling that Sando was the sort of coach that if you turned up 5 mins late to training he'd not make a fuss "just get out there!" But Walshy would have the whole squad running penalties and let them know exactly who's to blame.

A master stroke to appoint him really. Strengthen your hand, weaken your direct rival and get intel on their game plan as well as on their players and their individual observations on our players.

A master stroke to appoint him really. Strengthen your hand, weaken your direct rival and get intel on their game plan as well as on their players and their individual observations on our players.

Masterstroke? Still yet to be determined.

Does it feel good though? Early signs, yes.

Welcome to faganism.

This is why he was hired. Two years at most he'll be here. We probably already got his replacement lined up.

Masterstroke? Still yet to be determined.

Does it feel good though? Early signs, yes.
Hindsight will tell of course as it always does, but we needed a new coach, he was (probably) the best available and there is the side benefit of weakening the enemy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sando had a pretty good first season as I recall off the back of a big preseason. One kick from a GF.

Craigy also trained them hard and was criticised for it in the end.

Jury will be out for a while on Walshy methinks.

I just want them to train as hard as they can without overly risking injury.

Sando had a pretty good first season as I recall off the back of a big preseason. One kick from a GF.

Craigy also trained them hard and was criticised for it in the end.

Jury will be out for a while on Walshy methinks.
the difference is that Craig and Sando had them spend more time on the bikes and running laps than they did kicking the footy.

Walsh seems to be putting far more emphasis on thrashing them with ball in hand and under match simulation or drill conditions, a very different approach.

i've Nicknamed what we've done with the recruitment of a head kicker as a senior coach. Something rugby sides would do.
No not the nickname, which one do you think won't be here in 2 years - I'd suggest Fagan is the one most likely to use us as a stepping stone, which is not necessarily a bad thing if he shakes the club out of its complacency first

No not the nickname, which one do you think won't be here in 2 years - I'd suggest Fagan is the one most likely to use us as a stepping stone, which is not necessarily a bad thing if he shakes the club out of its complacency first
Its fagan, he has a reputation of leaving after a couple of years.

I was speaking with a Port trainer a couple of weeks back, said he didn't have much to do with Walsh but he was pretty intense. Said they will miss him.

If they relied on his tactical nouse I can't see that Voss will he able to replace that.

Does Fagan really have a reputation for going from job to job though? 9 years at the Australian Sports Comission, 12 years at the Brumbies, just 7 months as a general manager for Rugby Union, but goes back to a club after 7 months.

What was the length of his contact with us, 4 years? not that contracts mean much.

the difference is that Craig and Sando had them spend more time on the bikes and running laps than they did kicking the footy.

Walsh seems to be putting far more emphasis on thrashing them with ball in hand and under match simulation or drill conditions, a very different approach.
Craig had them playing a very uncontested brand
involving zones and guarding space then sando was contested ball or bust. You get the feeling Walsh is balanced and will concentrate on basics of all areas first including old fashioned cornerstones of hard work and teamwork then able to put tactical nous on top of that. A blend of the old and the new with his experiences over the years abd understanding of modern game also. All speculation until they start playing and it may take longer than we hope

Craig had them playing a very uncontested brand
involving zones and guarding space then sando was contested ball or bust. You get the feeling Walsh is balanced and will concentrate on basics of all areas first including old fashioned cornerstones of hard work and teamwork then able to put tactical nous on top of that. A blend of the old and the new with his experiences over the years abd understanding of modern game also. All speculation until they start playing and it may take longer than we hope

Great minor round coach. Got found out in finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back