News Phil Walsh - New AFC Coach and Art Critic

Remove this Banner Ad

A former player who I know very well would tell you Shaw was clueless as a tactician.

Don't tell Sanders - apparently he was a guru tactically. I only missed 1 home game over those 2 seasons & could see Shaw had nfi on match day... But the colonel is a great judge - of fried chicken. ;)

I disagree. He knew what he was talking about, he knew all the strategies, he could spot talent but he just didn't understand how and when to implement them.

Give him one role to concentrate on and he is awesome. Make him in charge of multiple roles and he was a lunatic.

I disagree. He knew what he was talking about, he knew all the strategies, he could spot talent but he just didn't understand how and when to implement them.

Give him one role to concentrate on and he is awesome. Make him in charge of multiple roles and he was a lunatic.
That was my original point if you go back to my 1st post.

Lots of strategies does not necessarily equate to a good match day strategist.

He was too inconsistent in his message which made him crap match day.

Ps he didn't know what he was really talking about from a practical pov!

That was my original point if you go back to my 1st post.

Lots of strategies does not necessarily equate to a good match day strategist.

He was too inconsistent in his message which made him crap match day.

Ps he didn't know what he was really talking about from a practical pov!

Yep, agree. Sorry.

He was out of his depth from day 1 at the crows.

I don't particularly like saying I know someone.

Oops, no, no, no, not that. That's fair enough and totally understandable.

I'm on my i pad and those :thumbsu::footy::fire::thumbsdown::rainbow::fire: things came up like [emooji4] and i had no idea what it mean.

I've worked it out not. Play on.

Oops, no, no, no, not that. That's fair enough and totally understandable.

I'm on my i pad and those :thumbsu::footy::fire::thumbsdown::rainbow::fire: things came up like [emooji4] and i had no idea what it mean.

I've worked it out not. Play on.

If I want to do that I'll go on the Siddle diet and move to Africa :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A former player who I know very well would tell you Shaw was clueless as a tactician.

I don't think anyone doubts that, and there would be plenty of players from melbourne who would say the same about Bailey.

Was your friend surprised that Shaw was appointed as senior assistant and tactical guru to help out Sheeds at Essendon straight afterwards?

Don't tell Sanders - apparently he was a guru tactically. I only missed 1 home game over those 2 seasons & could see Shaw had nfi on match day... But the colonel is a great judge - of fried chicken. ;)

I'm not sure what games you're watching now, let alone then :D

I don't think anyone doubts that, and there would be plenty of players from melbourne who would say the same about Bailey.

Was your friend surprised that Shaw was appointed as senior assistant and tactical guru to help out Sheeds at Essendon straight afterwards?

He was surprised that anyone would appoint him but in saying that he says anything is possible

He was surprised that anyone would appoint him but in saying that he says anything is possible

See, this is an after the fact comment as Shaw did a very good job with a very under resources Fitzroy. He was simply out of his depth at the crows and could not play the "poor us (Fitzroy)" card and use the emotional element to motivate the players.

See, this is an after the fact comment as Shaw did a very good job with a very under resources Fitzroy. He was simply out of his depth at the crows and could not play the "poor us (Fitzroy)" card and use the emotional element to motivate the players.

He should have used the Blighty card.

He should have used the Blighty card.

I've acknowledged he was out of his depth, i'm just identifying how and why he was appointed by the crows.

You said "he was surpriced that anyone who appoint him" but after his Fitzroy days, he deserved the opportunity.

I've acknowledged he was out of his depth, i'm just identifying how and why he was appointed by the crows.

You said "he was surpriced that anyone who appoint him" but after his Fitzroy days, he deserved the opportunity.

I think the club went with across the border feel.

I think you're right. It's a part of the club history we'd all like to forget.

Disagree. Shaw introduced plenty of positives and players into the club and given opportunities into the club. Sadly, coaching wasn't one of them.

We need to celebrate that, not ignore it.

Imagine how poorly fitzroy would have performed if not for his tactical genius. One of the best coaches, no doubt. Highly regarded for his tactical ability and opposition analysis. Well, at least that's what Wikipedia and Sanders assert. Of course, he was just a little unlucky to not have a couple of flags next to his name. Or finals series for that matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back