News Phil Walsh - New AFC Coach and Art Critic

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else sort of dislike how Walsh keeps referring to us as the 19th man? I guess he/the club want to push that more and more to get it to lift off, it's just something about that when he addresses the 19th man during his interviews, videos etc that I don't like hearing, would rather be called a supporter myself.

Obviously nothing against Walsh, love everything he's saying, I just don't like being called the 19th man.
Bit 'Meh' on the 19th man thing - not really against it, not really for it.
What I did find interesting listening to Walsh is that he referred to '... supporters and 'the 19th man'... ' as if they were separate. Just not used to it yet? Or a message?

What I did find interesting listening to Walsh is that he referred to '... supporters and 'the 19th man'... ' as if they were separate. Just not used to it yet? Or a message?
perhaps alluding to the fact that the supporters of the club stretch farther and wider than those who can make it to games? Or perhaps he hasn't thought about it that much :p

in any case I think 19th man = the crowd makes a lot of sense anyway.

i interpreted it as 19th man = members as the distinction between that and just supporters

all

this thread has gone WAY of the topic, 5 pages of draft and trade debate that obviously belongs in another thread. I will move all drafting post to the relevant thread however please keep discussions to thread topic from now on

thank you

Last edited:
I think all we are waiting on now is a commitment from Darren Glass. Apparently he is doing an MBA next year and is working through how to fit in a job here too.

Pretty sure there won't be any senior assistant type appointments

I think all we are waiting on now is a commitment from Darren Glass. Apparently he is doing an MBA next year and is working through how to fit in a job here too.

Walsh has said he wants someone he can mentor. Whether that's an existing person or not remains to be seen.

He said he will appoint a senior assistant who he can mentor. I got the impression that as you said that will be from the assistants already there and IMO will be Teague based on his comments about him. I don't think that appointment will necessarily be anytime soon though, seemed not like much of a priority.

I think the assistant that spexau was referring to is to head development. Walsh was big on boosting this department and said he had some people to talk to over the weekend to finalise this before going away today. The plan was for that to be finalised over the weekend so I too expect an announcement very soon. Maybe not today to allow for contracts to be signed etc but I expect there is another coach ready to be announced as the head of development.

OutofTownCrow Im with you, I would be surprised if B McCartney wasn't in the picture for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said he will appoint a senior assistant who he can mentor. I got the impression that as you said that will be from the assistants already there and IMO will be Teague based on his comments about him. I don't think that appointment will necessarily be anytime soon though, seemed not like much of a priority.

I think the assistant that spexau was referring to is to head development. Walsh was big on boosting this department and said he had some people to talk to over the weekend to finalise this before going away today. The plan was for that to be finalised over the weekend so I too expect an announcement very soon. Maybe not today to allow for contracts to be signed etc but I expect there is another coach ready to be announced as the head of development.

OutofTownCrow Im with you, I would be surprised if B McCartney wasn't in the picture for that.

Yep - I'm also thinking it's a development role. McCartney would be perfect.

I think Glass will eventually be involved in some capacity regarding leadership - and Lade is definitely on Walsh's radar in the longer term.

not hard to work through

completing your MBA can be very flexible, I completed mine over a 3 year period whilst working full time

Wonder if we'll hear about a possible assistant coach today? Walsh said he wanted something finalised before he went away which is today supposedly.

maybe not an Assistant however the club still needs to consider whether they replace Peter Jonas in the Development role

My question is why is he looking to mentor already? Shouldn't he be trying proove himself first?

He isn't Paul roos or Mick malthouse ffs

its could succession planning and their is no reason why it cant commence immediately

with that said IMO at the time Walsh made those comments he was fully aware of that this would not commence until year 2 once his preferred successor was out of contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Back