News Phil Walsh - New AFC Coach and Art Critic

Remove this Banner Ad

My question is why is he looking to mentor already? Shouldn't he be trying proove himself first?

He isn't Paul roos or Mick malthouse ffs
Well he's said he wants to develop coaches so they get a chance to become a senior coach. More setting up the program.

As others have said this appointment will probably be a Head of Development type and he'll look at a mentor next year.

To me it sounded like he is going to put Teague into the midfield role after a stint as forward coach and then develop him into a senior capacity. He seems all over Teague and also said ideally you want to progress through offense/defense and ultimately coach a midfield before you should be considered for further honours. Sounds like a positive structure he's putting in place anyway, so long as the line coaches are adaptable. If it works like it sounds then after a while we should have a battery of coaches who are competent all across the field and integrate very well with what the other coaches are trying to achieve

To me it sounded like he is going to put Teague into the midfield role after a stint as forward coach and then develop him into a senior capacity. He seems all over Teague and also said ideally you want to progress through offense/defense and ultimately coach a midfield before you should be considered for further honours. Sounds like a positive structure he's putting in place anyway, so long as the line coaches are adaptable. If it works like it sounds then after a while we should have a battery of coaches who are competent all across the field and integrate very well with what the other coaches are trying to achieve

wont be Teague IMO

One thing's for certain that he has an absolute wealth of knowledge and experience and has a very strong idea of how to build a football club. Time will tell if he's correct or not but you can't fault his conviction so far.

Do you not think that he has mentored anyone before? Anyone who has had a senior role anywhere should be open to passing on what they know to someone who wants it.

It is an essential part of being a good leader IMO.
Also a way to make yourself very attractive to prospective coaches and ensure that you continue to get the best applicants for open positions. If assistant coaches know they can come here and learn a lot and that other teams see they spent X amount of years learning from the systems we have and are impressed by that; than that can't be a bad thing.

My question is why is he looking to mentor already? Shouldn't he be trying proove himself first?

He isn't Paul roos or Mick malthouse ffs

I dont think he actually is. When asked about a Senior Assistant Walsh said that he felt he didnt need one, but if the club wanted to put someone in that role as a succession plan he wouldn't be against it.

doesn't make any sense to go down the succession plan yet for two reasons. lets hope he means in the future.
firstly if he turns out to be a bad coach you don't want him poisoning someone else.
secondly if he turns out to be a good coach you've put yourself in the position of having to move him on earlier than is ideal. see the malthouse/buckley situation.
I gather this talk is more about putting a system for coaches/coaching improvement in place rather than a specific succession coach who is going to take over walshs position.
There is a difference between teaching someone else, which walsh has indicated he wants to do, and the specific succession plan which is walsh quitting and handing over the reins.

its could succession planning and their is no reason why it cant commence immediately

with that said IMO at the time Walsh made those comments he was fully aware of that this would not commence until year 2 once his preferred successor was out of contract

And what happens if Walsh is a dud?

doesn't make any sense to go down the succession plan yet for two reasons. lets hope he means in the future.
firstly if he turns out to be a bad coach you don't want him poisoning someone else.
secondly if he turns out to be a good coach you've put yourself in the position of having to move him on earlier than is ideal. see the malthouse/buckley situation.
I gather this talk is more about putting a system for coaches/coaching improvement in place rather than a specific succession coach who is going to take over walshs position.
There is a difference between teaching someone else, which walsh has indicated he wants to do, and the specific succession plan which is walsh quitting and handing over the reins.

This is exactly how Walsh described it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he will get someone else to mentor initially, someone more advanced,, but in the long run I think he has aspirations for Teague

IMO Walsh wants to mentor all his Assistants however in terms of a succession plan I don't think Teague is the Asst that will be groomed as the next AFC coach.... IMO that person is coaching elsewhere next season and will join us at the conclusion of 2015.

Last edited:
So it's far to say Walsh will be around for a while then? :p

Tbh, I hope we're/Walsh isn't considering grooming our next coach already as he should have plenty of years to coach left in him. He might train someone up that could get poached by another club in a few years time looking for a coach, but I don't like the idea of training someone up to take over himself any time soon.

IMO Walsh wants to mentor all his Assistants however in terms of a succession plan I don't think Teague is the Asst that will be groomed as the next AFC coach.... IMO that person is coaching elsewhere next season and will join us at the conclusion of 2915.

Thats a fair wait. At lest he plans ahead

There is a difference between teaching someone else, which walsh has indicated he wants to do, and the specific succession plan which is walsh quitting and handing over the reins
Agree with this. I don't think it is a succession plan Walsh wants to implement.

He wants to create a system that develops senior coaches (his quote when on 5AA last week). He has a clear pathway in his mind to do that which involves being an assistant in multiple lines, including a prerequisite of coaching a midfield.

Presumably his senior assistant will work closely to him, not necessarily because Walsh is proven to be great to learn from (as he is not as a rookie coach), but even having extra insight into the demands on a senior coach, and more exposure to how one handles them would be invaluable to a prospective coach. There is a lot out there about the current pathway to coaching being flawed and attempts to develop systems that coaches need to go through and Walsh is obviously very strong on his thoughts in this.

One confers with Walsh having such strong views is that his number 1 job is to develop a premiership winning team. Too much focus on developing premiership coaches isn't our number 1 priority. As long as this view of his has no negative impact on the infield stuff, and I'm sure he will balance that, then theres no issue with that.

As someone else stated, if over time his system for developing assistants is proven to benefit them, then we could become a destination club (to steal a current overused phrase) for assistant coaches as they know they have the opportunity to develop a broader skill set needed to get a chance and succeed as a coach. For now it is only lip service but even that may help attract some assistants if they are offered greater scope that they see as beneficial.

What if my Aunty has balls

No one plans on failure, all our planning is done on a success model....

If Walsh turns out a dud the succession planning is the least of our concerns

No one plans on failure? I'm glad you're not an engineer, or even a list manager at that.

No one plans on failure? I'm glad you're not an engineer, or even a list manager at that.

Given your "what if" comment I thought my response was appropriate

So if you don't like people pointing out the obvious maybe you should consider the quality of your posting

Given your "what if" comment I thought my response was appropriate

So if you don't like people pointing out the obvious maybe you should consider the quality of your posting
The quality of my posting?

Sure thing mate, you're right we can't question if Walsh should be looking at a succession plan before he has coach a god damn game.

Flog. Who made this idiot a mod?

Sure thing mate, you're right we can't question if Walsh should be looking at a succession plan before he has coach a god damn game.

Shows how little you know about leadership roles, there is no reason why you can't start succession planning from day one it's common practice is good organisations

Tend to agree. How about coach a game of afl football as a senior coach before you worry about imparting your wisdom on someone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back