Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

:(

Chuck%20Bednarik.jpg

930W-Infographic-Bednarik.jpg

Legend

I am saddened by the passing of "Concrete" Chuck Bednarik, and yet I still believe he was the last of the sixty minute men in American pro football.

May he be remembered forever.

Funny, I actually bought in to Kelly when he said that he would build the system around talent that he had at any given time not require certain types for a system.

That we as a franchise are effectively ruling out using all pro calibre talent because of 'running style' disappoints me greatly.

Edit: Justifying the Bradford trade on mobility is baffling. The guy's got one leg, and was never fast.

LeSean McCoy: Chip Kelly doesn’t like or respect star players
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 6, 2015, 7:11 PM EDT
lesean.jpeg
AP
Eagles coach Chip Kelly got rid of running back LeSean McCoy so that Kelly himself would get more of the credit for the offense in Philadelphia. At least, that’s how McCoy sees it.

McCoy, now a Buffalo Bill, said at the first day of his new team’s offseason program that Kelly would rather have anonymous players around than stars so that it’s Kelly himself who garners most of the attention.

I don’t think he likes or respects the stars. I’m being honest,” McCoy told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “I think he likes the fact that it’s ‘Chip Kelly and the Eagles.’ ”

Of course, DeMarco Murray is a star player, and Kelly signed Murray to replace McCoy. But McCoy thinks Kelly showed last year by cutting DeSean Jackson that if a player gets too much credit, that player won’t be around for long.

“It was ‘DeSean Jackson – a high-flying, take-off-the-top-of-the-defense receiver.’ Or ‘The quick, elusive LeSean McCoy,’ ” McCoy said. “I don’t think [Kelly] likes that.”

Whatever the reasons, Kelly has radically reshaped the Eagles’ roster with some surprising personnel decisions. He’s set him up for a season in which he’ll either get a lot of credit, or a lot of blame.

LeSean McCoy: Chip Kelly doesn’t like or respect star players
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 6, 2015, 7:11 PM EDT
lesean.jpeg
AP
Eagles coach Chip Kelly got rid of running back LeSean McCoy so that Kelly himself would get more of the credit for the offense in Philadelphia. At least, that’s how McCoy sees it.

McCoy, now a Buffalo Bill, said at the first day of his new team’s offseason program that Kelly would rather have anonymous players around than stars so that it’s Kelly himself who garners most of the attention.

I don’t think he likes or respects the stars. I’m being honest,” McCoy told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “I think he likes the fact that it’s ‘Chip Kelly and the Eagles.’ ”

Of course, DeMarco Murray is a star player, and Kelly signed Murray to replace McCoy. But McCoy thinks Kelly showed last year by cutting DeSean Jackson that if a player gets too much credit, that player won’t be around for long.

“It was ‘DeSean Jackson – a high-flying, take-off-the-top-of-the-defense receiver.’ Or ‘The quick, elusive LeSean McCoy,’ ” McCoy said. “I don’t think [Kelly] likes that.”

Whatever the reasons, Kelly has radically reshaped the Eagles’ roster with some surprising personnel decisions. He’s set him up for a season in which he’ll either get a lot of credit, or a lot of blame.

McCoy is so salty. Needs to get over it and move on.

Welcome Nelson Agholor
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...ts-nelson-agholor-eagles-usc-wide-receiver-20

With the 20th overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select USC wide receiver Nelson Agholor.

This pick hardly comes as a surprise. The Eagles showed a lot of interest in Agholor leading up to the 2015 NFL Draft. The team brought him in for a pre-draft visit in Philadelphia before privately working him out.

The 21-year-old junior measures in at 6-0, 198 pounds. In the 40 games he played during his college career, Agholor racked up 178 receptions for 2,572 yards, 14.4 yards per reception, and 20 touchdowns. He also spent some time returning kicks and punts.

Philadelphia had a big need at wide receiver after losing Jeremy Maclin in free agency earlier this offseason. Agholor joins an Eagles wide receiver corps that now includes Jordan Matthews, Josh Huff, Miles Austin, Riley Cooper, Seyi Ajirotutu, Quron Pratt, and Will Murphy.

Here's a scouting report on Agholor via BGN's Mike Kaye:

"Strengths - Agholor's "special traits" are his vision with the ball in his hands and his toughness. The guy gives his all, whether it's blocking, receiving or returning. Dangerous in space, Agholor is able to turn on the jets with field in front of him. He's tough to bring down and gives added effort when met with contact. He has good hands and catches the ball cleanly. He is a very willing blocker, and while he doesn't have a ton of strength, he is able to take angles that keep defenders out of plays. He runs polished routes and displays impressive footwork. He knows how to create space. He is constantly alert and offers the rare college receiver trait of coming back to bail out the quarterback on plays that take too much time to develop. He is a proven returner and is dynamic in the punt game. He is willing to go across the middle.

Weaknesses - Agholor is prone to mental errors and has trouble tracking the ball in the air. He is not a burner and is more of a possession receiver. He has only adequate size and is not particularly a deep threat. He needs to probably add muscle similarly to Jeremy Maclin in later years.

Eagles Outlook -The Eagles have shown plenty of interest in Agholor and they haven't been all that shy about getting to know him and his talent. While the team had similar interest in Marqise Lee last season, the Eagles are more likely to jump at Agholor due to his clean bill of health. He is ready for special teams and returning as a rookie and could develop into a starter by season's end. While I tend to view him as a second round pick, Chip Kelly may just grab his guy in the first round with his new general manager responsibilities."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple of great videos there - I loved the interview one. He sounds super humble and very smart.

The highlights video looks good too. There looks to be some variety there too. He doesn't seem quick enough that he'll just burn guys down the field like in that video, but the stop and go routes and the screen routes on that video look great. I loved the crazy high catch against UCLA in the video.

I already thought we as Eagles fans had a win today by not selling the farm for Mariota. But those videos have me even more excited!

So I spent the 48 hours prior to the draft panicking over nothing?

What say the rest of you Eagles fans? I know this is lying seasons, but was anyone else as gullible as I evidently was to think that we would sell the whole farm for Mariota (sorry... Marry-oto).

I hadn't thought since about day 3 of Free Agency that we'd go that way... but then as the potential suitors for Mariota started dropping out and the rumours started flying on Wednesday... I admit, I started to freak out! I even uttered the immortal words recently that if we sold Kendricks and Cox I'd have to reconsider my supportership, because it will have no longer been 'our' Eagles, only Chips.

As it is? If Bradford can stay fit, and if we end up holding onto Kendricks... I think I love how our roster is coming together. We still need 2 safeties. We probably need another good quality corner. We still need a replacement for Herremans (whose release still doesn't make any sense).

Other than that, I can't think of anything major. I'm not quite sure what they'll do with Ryans - I guess while we all thought we'd get an Alonso/Kendricks ILB pairing, the rumoured Kendricks trade suggests that Ryan is still the starter. Depending on what happens with those three, and with Brad Smith, we probably also need Cole's replacement.

And the only other position I suspect is nose tackle - as 'adequate' as Logan has been for 2 years, his size means that they'll always be looking for a value upgrade on Logan late in the draft.

But it looks good. I like our front 7 on defence. You have to love our backfield. Ertz is coming along well, and I think between Matthews, Agholor, Huff (who people inside the Eagles think could be better than Matthews), and that other $5m/yr hack that we have, the offence is starting to resemble the super-high tempo offence he ran at Oregon and has been instilling at the Eagles, albeit with less then perfect fits...

Of course, this is all depending on having a good, fit QB. And when you marry up Bradford's history with the Eagles recent starting QB history... perhaps that's my new panic.

Look, I'm starting to get pretty bothered by the fact that I actually don't think we've really upgraded our bad positions in three off seasons.

Really, we're just replacing Maclin. That's great. Except we were better off not needing to.

Rubbish - Maclin is not an $11m a year receiver under any system, certainly not under the Eagles.

If Bradford is injured, we've upgraded there.

In terms of variety of running, we've upgraded the backfield and got Murray and Matthews (and Alonso) for less than McCoy would've cost.

And we've unquestionably upgraded at Corner with Maxwell, albeit only on one half of the field.

Far be it from me to be a Chip Kelly apologist - as I said, I was damn near out of the boat if we'd sold the farm for Mariota - but I'm beginning to see the method to the madness.

We saved money, but spent a first round pick. I'm not sure that I view that all that favourably.

We won't know the extent to which Maxwell is an upgrade until we see him play. Hopefully you're right.

Bradford is an upgrade on nothing. He's more expensive and has achieved less.

Anyway, my point was this:

The way our roster was built our team strengths were in the depth at RB, and having two star WRs.

We've spent a lot of resourcing and capital on WRs and Rbs. A first, and second, and a third in two years on something that was already a strength until we destroyed it. That's just putting out fires we started, not being proactive.

Meanwhile our holes remain our holes with arguably a more dire situation.

Upgraded one safety position, but the other we've got absolutely nothing at. Still have a weakness at one corner. Still have poor O-line depth and an aging corp.

To be fair, we've potentially upgraded ILB, but we're trying to trade out Kendricks supposedly so not even sure there.

Welcome Eric Rowe

NFL Draft Results: Eric Rowe to Eagles with No. 47 Pick Via Trade Up With Dolphins

With the 47th overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select Utah safety/cornerback Eric Rowe.

The Eagles traded up five spots from No. 52 with the Miami Dolphins to make this pick. Philadelphia gave up both of their fifth round selections (No. 145 and No. 156) in order to move up. The Eagles also get a sixth back in return (No. 191). It's a very fair trade as far as the draft pick value chart is concerned. The Eagles received 445 points and gave up 442.5.

This is hardly a surprising pick. The Eagles showed a lot of interest in Rowe leading up to this year's draft. Philadelphia hosted him for a pre-draft visit, met with him at theSenior Bowl, and put him through a private workout. Chip Kelly also personally attended his pro day.

Rowe has the versatility the Eagles covet. He played at safety for the first three years of his college football career before moving to cornerback in 2014. The 6-1, 205 pound senior put up 261 tackles, three interceptions, 36 passes defensed, and 1.5 sacks in 47 games played.

Here's a scouting report via BGN's Mike Kaye:

Strengths

An athlete with the versatility to play in multiple places, Rowe is game for any position in the secondary. He uses his size well and doesn't mind playing in space. He is a solid tackler who wraps up well. He has long arms and uses them well and likes to be violent at times. He is a good second effort player and will play until the whistle. If you get in front of him on a passing play, you aren't getting many yards after the catch. He was used as a gunner in punt coverage and had success in that department.

Weaknesses

He has trouble flipping his hips despite his 3 cone numbers. He isn't the most fluid guy for his numbers and he will lose his man in coverage. He is slow to react at times and needs to adjust to the ball better. He can be taken out of a play with even "okay" blocking.

Eagles Outlook

The Eagles love versatility and Rowe easily fits that bill. While he could compete at cornerback and safety, he is probably a better fit at the latter position across from Jenkins. The Eagles need safeties who can cover and Rowe was good enough at cornerback that he could be very, very good at safety in the NFL. He is more of a natural safety than cornerback. He likely will go at some point in the 25-50 range of the draft.

Welcome Jordan Hicks (& I assume goodbye Mr Kendricks...)

NFL Draft Results: Jordan Hicks to Eagles at No. 84 Pick

With the 84th overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select Texas linebacker Jordan Hicks. The 22-year-old senior measures in at 6-1, 236 pounds.

This pick is certainly a surprise. The Eagles weren't really connected to Hicks leading up to the draft.

It's also a surprise because Philadelphia is already loaded at inside linebacker. The team gave a contract extension to veteran linebacker DeMeco Ryans after trading LeSean McCoy for Kiko Alonso early in the offseason. The drafting of Hicks will do nothing to dispel the reports that the Eagles are shopping Mychal Kendricks for a draft pick.

Hicks ranked 201st on SB Nation's Top 300 prospects. Here's a scouting report via Burnt Orange Nation:

STRENGTHS
Despite all the injuries, including a torn Achilles that ended his junior season against Kansas State in the season's fourth game, Hicks still managed to maintain most or perhaps even all of the athleticism that made him such an elite prospect out of high school. As a result, once he became comfortable in Strong's schemes, he was able to create the interceptions that eluded him until this season.

In fact, showing scouts his coverage versatility was a major priority for Hicks at the Texas Pro Timing Day.

"Just showing them my movement and my ability to be a smooth linebacker," Hicks said in March. "A big thing now is being a three-down linebacker, and that's something I'm trying to show that I can play every single play, play the run, play the pass, and can show my ability to move.

On two critical occasions against West Virginia last fall, the Mountaineers were able to isolate Hicks in coverage across the middle, once against star wide receiver Kevin White, but Hicks was able to make the tackle both times. Other than the interceptions, those plays represented some of the highlights for the Texas linebacker in coverage, as both came in the red zone.

A look at Hicks also reveals the type of work ethic that he possesses behind the scenes. How else would he recover so quickly from his Achilles injury to post historically-significant agility times at the NFL Scouting Combine? As he did as a 220-pounder out of high school, Hicks simply looks like an NFL linebacker.

It's also hard to argue with his production as a senior -- even star linebacker Derrick Johnson never managed to rack up the number of tackles that Hicks recorded in 2014. Though Hicks isn't a big-time striker from the linebacker position, he simply doesn't make miss many tackles. The agility from his testing numbers also shows up on film, as Hicks has the range to make plays from sideline to sideline. He's at his best when able to use his diagnostic abilities and athleticism to shoot gaps and make plays before offensive linemen can engage him.

Philadelphia Eagles ‏@Eagles 30m30 minutes ago
Coach Kelly: (Hicks) was our highest rated guy by far. We had him in the second round. A lot of exposure to him.
We think he's a three-down linebacker. That's what separated him.

the reverse at 3.09 cracks me up

Last edited:
really hope huff and watkins had strong offseasons and are able to turn weak positions into strong positions.
3rd year together for our front 3 and barwin,
I really find it amusing that we are placing alot of value in character, yet the cowboys appear to be going the other way with brent, hardy, gregory, mcclain and dez

If hundley falls to us in the 4th, do we draft him? I would rather have him as our 3rd option while also having him as a development option, as opposed to tebow or barkley

Would like to see us use the fourth on OL. Is Marpett still there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back