Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully one day I have as much going on as you and I can go to a thread and point out that a comment should have actually been posted in another thread. Jesus.
The problem is, the discussion was legitimately about the Eagles, which you dismissed because the person saying it was a Broncos fault.

It just ends up sounding like deflection from being defensive.

I think the real issue with Chip is finding all the pieces that actually 'get on board' without complaining for long enough. Whilst I have my suspicions his style won't work fluidly by the sticky end of the season (ie it'll take team 'magic' rather than the system succeeding come the playoffs), he's a polarising figure to players who are used to getting what they want. When you become a dictator and don't 'respect' the team veterans, you sure as hell make sure you're winning.

But they're all in on Chip, so we shall see...

The problem is, the discussion was legitimately about the Eagles, which you dismissed because the person saying it was a Broncos fault.

It just ends up sounding like deflection from being defensive.

I think the real issue with Chip is finding all the pieces that actually 'get on board' without complaining for long enough. Whilst I have my suspicions his style won't work fluidly by the sticky end of the season (ie it'll take team 'magic' rather than the system succeeding come the playoffs), he's a polarising figure to players who are used to getting what they want. When you become a dictator and don't 'respect' the team veterans, you sure as hell make sure you're winning.

But they're all in on Chip, so we shall see...

But then I went on to say the Eagles are in trouble. In any event Herremans was the worst player on the line (not saying he is bad, the rest of the line was just good) so Mathis is the only big loss here and I was pointing out that in my opinion there are lines around the league that have lost more important pieces than the Eagles.

But then I went on to say the Eagles are in trouble..

Yeah eventually, your first post and second and third were only slightly above "I know you are but what am I?", it's the sort of thing that stifles discussion.

And then when someone dares to highlight it "slow day at work huh?"

Are you really that guy?

I just find it frustrating that anyone that wants to talk about which team or whatever has to wade through a river of "well your team did this XYZ 10 years ago" or "you're one to talk because your team does blah blah blah" or whatever.

I know it's a bigfooty wide issue but it would be great if it didn't infect the American football board.

I just find it frustrating that anyone that wants to talk about which team or whatever has to wade through a river of "well your team did this XYZ 10 years ago" or "you're one to talk because your team does blah blah blah" or whatever.

I know it's a bigfooty wide issue but it would be great if it didn't infect the American football board.

I used another team as a reference point, I was pointing out that other teams have also had pretty big changes to their offensive lines during the offseason. The media has an obsession with the Eagles at the moment though so none of that ever gets pointed out.

When you become a dictator and don't 'respect' the team veterans, you sure as hell make sure you're winning.
What a crock, he wants certain personalities, and Cary, Desean and Lesean are may have been vets, but they are definitely not leaders.

Chip picked up Domeco's contract, which is pricey, he is old and coming off a major injury. Barwin also got a pay bump this offseason.

Losing Mathis sucks, losing a probowl lineman without a competent backup to replace him is a big loss.

Not sure what to think of our oline, we have 3 probowlers and 2 backups starting. The 2 guard spots are so key to our inside zone runs. I hope training camp can develop them from backups into a competent starters.

DeMarco Murrays success was based almost entirely on the inside of the Dallas OL, not the Tackles. It'll be interesting to see what sort of production he can muster with Mathis gone

DeMarco Murrays success was based almost entirely on the inside of the Dallas OL, not the Tackles. It'll be interesting to see what sort of production he can muster with Mathis gone

This is so true and every stat in the world backs it up.

You can have Jesus Christ himself running the ball but if the OL is no good and the defenders are easily getting behind the line of scrimmage every RB in the world is going to struggle.

Each to their own though but all this off season i have been lambasted ( Every spud can rush behind the Dallas OL etc etc and have you not heard this...) for saying we can reproduce DM's yards but i am confident we can with our OL currently, even if not with one stand out individual HB but as a group i doubt we seriously lose much over all running yardage hence why we let Murray walk as we have other areas that need the cash not RB on a player that has had 1 good year behind arguably the best OL in the league which just got stronger as well this off season.

Murray_zpsr0zxg5y5.jpg

Last edited:
This is so true and every stat in the world backs it up.

Murray_zpsr0zxg5y5.jpg
Except for the stat that you've constantly avoided every time this discussion is had.

Your swerving is actually hilarious.

Hint: it has to do with yards gained, both the average and the total after significant contact is made.

You can have Jesus Christ himself running the ball but if the OL is no good and the defenders are easily getting behind the line of scrimmage every RB in the world is going to struggle.

Dude, the guy walked on water, I don't think a defensive line is going to cause him too many problems.

Except for the stat that you've constantly avoided every time this discussion is had.

Your swerving is actually hilarious.

Hint: it has to do with yards gained, both the average and the total after significant contact is made.
Beat me to it

He had a thousand yards after contact FFS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beat me to it

He had a thousand yards after contact FFS
He even liked the post after mine (Ergo he has had the opportunity to read it), and continues to blatantly ignore it

Hilarious.

Getting rid of Evan Mathis marks the end of the Eagles “Dream Team”
Posted by Darin Gantt on June 11, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
vinceyoungvickgetty-e1312054782920.jpg
Getty Images
Chip Kelly did more than change his offensive line Thursday with the release of Evan Mathis.

He also killed the “Dream Team,” and continued to erase the influence of former Eagles General Manager Howie Roseman.

According to Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ.com, getting rid of the veteran guard all but pulls the curtain on one of the most aggressive offseasons in recent NFL memory. Of the 23 players acquired in free agency and the draft under Roseman in 2011, 22 of those players have either been cut or traded.

The only one left is center Jason Kelce, a sixth-round pick in 2011, and it’s hard to lump him in with decisions such franchising Michael Vick or signing guys such Nnamdi Asomugha or Jason Babin or Cullen Jenkins (or even Vince Young) or draft picks such as first-round disaster Danny Watkins.

Kelly has been fairly blatant in marginalizing Roseman, getting him moved out of the building the rest of the football operation is housed in. But other moves he’s made in crafting his own front office, while more subtle on the surface than getting rid of one of Roseman’s big contracts, have a similar impact on the culture he’s trying to create.

Almost 1,000 yards after contact but it was the OL. Good one. Tough to impress some people on here.

The offensive line DOES contribute, even to the yards after first contact....as you get blockers interfering with tacklers, or in their way, or disrupt their angles, so when the RB is navigating thru that 3 yards of LOS interaction the tackles he breaks could often be arm-grabs, or off-balance tackles, etc, so not like they got a good front or side-on shot on the ball carrier due to all that.

How many carries did he have last year? 300? Let's say 300.
That's roughly 3 yards he made per carry after first contact...on average.

I never personally felt Murray left a lot of 'meat on the bone'....I drafted him in Alpha first round, after all ;) (before i traded him for my greed for picks) :(

But I do think the OL does get some credit for creating those "first contact" yards. First contact is the qualifying part there. Not like Murray broke 5 full-on tackles per gain and was unstoppable on his own.

I dunno, but maybe someone can provide the stat for actual broken tackles among RBs last year.

How many carries did he have last year? 300? Let's say 300.
That's roughly 3 yards he made per carry after first contact...on average.

I never personally felt Murray left a lot of 'meat on the bone'....I drafted him in Alpha first round, after all ;) (before i traded him for my greed for picks) :(

But I do think the OL does get some credit for creating those "first contact" yards. First contact is the qualifying part there. Not like Murray broke 5 full-on tackles per gain and was unstoppable on his own.

I dunno, but maybe someone can provide the stat for actual broken tackles among RBs last year.
No one is saying the oline isn't important in that process. They often 'push' plays beyond the extent of the defenders ability to get a good hand on the runner, etc. They allow momentum in the RB which shows itself in 'falling yards' ie yards that are a production of the process of tackling.

But it's fallacious to argue that the RB isn't hugely important in that process also. ie what Chism has been attempting to do since Murray left the Cowboys (And ignoring Murray's history behind inferior lines)

No one is saying the oline isn't important in that process. They often 'push' plays beyond the extent of the defenders ability to get a good hand on the runner, etc. They allow momentum in the RB which shows itself in 'falling yards' ie yards that are a production of the process of tackling.

But it's fallacious to argue that the RB isn't hugely important in that process also. ie what Chism has been attempting to do since Murray left the Cowboys (And ignoring Murray's history behind inferior lines)
Like I said. I never felt he left meat on the bone. He had a season up there with Adrian Peterson's near record-breaking one a few season's ago, and you don't hear people saying "it was mainly OL" for Peterson...or when other RBs have fantastic seasons ... like Jamaal Charles becoming the all-time greatest ypc RB ahead of Jim Brown. Or any other RB for that matter. It's more a product of Dallas letting him go, and letting him go to a division rival....and still in his prime.

I guess Dallas are just fvcked by the cap at the moment. Dez and Murray were always going to be tough to hold onto.

Like I said. I never felt he left meat on the bone. He had a season up there with Adrian Peterson's near record-breaking one a few season's ago, and you don't hear people saying "it was mainly OL" for Peterson...or when other RBs have fantastic seasons ... like Jamaal Charles becoming the all-time greatest ypc RB ahead of Jim Brown. Or any other RB for that matter. It's more a product of Dallas letting him go, and letting him go to a division rival....and still in his prime.

I guess Dallas are just fvcked by the cap at the moment. Dez and Murray were always going to be tough to hold onto.

But now Dallas fans are busy trying to talk down Murray as much as possible. That's the thing that makes me laugh. The way they go on Jerruh could run behind that offensive line and go for 2,000+ yards.

Its kind of funny that the skins and cowboys fan comes into the eagles thread to point out our new rb is not he is all that he is cracked up to be. They point to the rushing yards and stuff, but ignore other aspects of being a rb like pass protection and catching passes. If the what Murray produced last season is so easily replaceable, why did Randle only get like 3 rushes per game?

Obviously the oline is important to getting yards, ask Adrian Peterson or Shawn Alexander how important Steve Hutchison was.

But everyone matters, having an awesome blocking te is super important, there is a reason we ran all over the texans and JJ watt was mostly a non factor:

http://chipwagon.typepad.com/eagles/2014/11/extra-extra-read-all-about-it-sweeping-the-texans-.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back