Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep in mind I posted that at half time. Obviously I'm a lot more chilled out now than I was then.

Still, we shouldn't be chest beating yet. There were a lot of sins that winning covered. Our offensive line was outright ugly at times, and our receivers struggled to get separation. Take away the absurdly blown coverage for Maclin's td and the stat line looks a lot uglier.

Thought Maclin was also good, given his injury last year.

Mags has made a huge impact in driving the spirit of the ST unit forward. Hope he can stay healthy for the whole season.

We might just see a few more squad shuffles to plug the holes on the O Line, depending on how bad some of those injuries are.

Also - was it just me or was there a fair bit of failure to focus and execute on coverage down the sidelines by our secondary? Or are they just really s**t this year? Jags are hardly the greatest receiver corps in the NFL, if we repeat that coverage approach over the next few weeks we are going to get heavily scored against in a few games. I worry if we can really hang in there in shoot outs against the better teams...

I notice you didn't pop up until after the game was won.
Sorry, wasnt up at 4am.

Offense will be significantly better than last year. In Kelly's system for the 2nd year, Foles first preseason as clear starter and then you add in Sproles and a stud rookie WR.

Anything less than a nfc championship game will be a big failure especially considering how pathetic the division is.

Sorry, wasnt up at 4am.

Offense will be significantly better than last year. In Kelly's system for the 2nd year, Foles first preseason as clear starter and then you add in Sproles and a stud rookie WR.

Anything less than a nfc championship game will be a big failure especially considering how pathetic the division is.

Where's the commitment? Nah, seriously, I can understand people not getting up for it, but maybe cut some slack when you quote comments posted at half time. If you experienced that live you would have been filthy too.

You keep saying Mathews is a stud. He hasn't performed like it yet. If he is genuinely a stud it will go a long way towards making up what we've lost in our offense. Today our offense looked bad at times. Maclin and Cooper struggled to get separation, and Mathews wasn't any shining light either- atleast one drop he should have come up with despite a bad throw.

We should win the division. I'm just not convinced that we've really closed the gap on Seattle, SF (other than them coming down due to injuries), NO, GB etc.

Also - was it just me or was there a fair bit of failure to focus and execute on coverage down the sidelines by our secondary? Or are they just really s**t this year? Jags are hardly the greatest receiver corps in the NFL, if we repeat that coverage approach over the next few weeks we are going to get heavily scored against in a few games. I worry if we can really hang in there in shoot outs against the better teams...

It bothered me that they were veteran players making mistakes.

Williams and his bite on the slant was one of the worst pieces of coverage you'll ever see. He tightened up as the game went, but it was ugly. I think Nolan will find himself starting soon.

It bothered me that they were veteran players making mistakes.

Williams and his bite on the slant was one of the worst pieces of coverage you'll ever see. He tightened up as the game went, but it was ugly. I think Nolan will find himself starting soon.

Yep, few things grate more than experienced players making rookie mistakes.

And I saw a lot of that from our secondary on sideline route coverage. I just can't decide if the coverage was:
  1. mainly because they thought the Jags were such a shite team that there would be heaps of easy interceptions (and so they played overly aggressive and bit at the first chance seeking pick 6s), and/or
  2. due to us having a genuinely poor secondary on deep routes, sideline patterns and slants, and/or
  3. due to shite coaching by the d-backs coaches, who didn't pick the Jags (super stellar and oh so secretive :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :straining:) passing game.
At the moment I think #2 is most likely. Our weakest position is (by some margin) the defensive coverage down the sidelines. The better teams will pillage us on this in games to come, unless we find a way to sign more speed and talent...

But what would I know...

There was a distinct change in coverage from first qtr and a half to the end of the game. We started playing a lot of off-coverage, which doesn't suit Fletch or Cary. They struggled playing this and sticking to their man. After that, they got to play their press coverage and were much more comfortable, which contributed heavily to the Jags passing going to s**t.

There was a distinct change in coverage from first qtr and a half to the end of the game. We started playing a lot of off-coverage, which doesn't suit Fletch or Cary. They struggled playing this and sticking to their man. After that, they got to play their press coverage and were much more comfortable, which contributed heavily to the Jags passing going to s**t.

Agreed, although I don't really think that a veteran player on a relatively large contract should be so inept at off coverage- I mean, it was an undrafted rookie with Chad Henne throwing to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, nah. Nothing that the CBs did in the second half (apart from one near strip from Hurns) drove the Jax drop off - it was rather a combination of the poor throws from Henne and the drops from Lee, Lewis, Hurns and Gerhardt. If that so called press coverage is the best we have down the sidelines then I worry about what happens when we face Eli, let alone when we come up against Seahawks, Broncos, Colts or Niners.

Also, some pi$$-poor play by the Jax centre and QB meant they had to burn their 3 time outs before they should have. This let us off the hook big time. No way does that happen if we are facing a true pro team like the Broncs or the Niners...

I can see us going with something like

Peters - Barbre - Kelce - Herremans - Gardner

Can't see Barbere being fit, given the early injury reports. Agree that Gardner did enough to keep his spot though. Not sure who we might promote from the practice squad if Mathis or Barbere are more serious injuries...

I can see us going with something like

Peters - Barbre - Kelce - Herremans - Gardner

Babre likely to miss too.

I think we'll probably see Peters- Kelly - Kelce - Herremans - Tobin or something to that effect. Perhaps Andrews instead of Kelly.

Barbe out for the year. Initial thoughts he would be less injured than Mathis. Mathis is on short term IR, so he can return week 8 I believe.

We signed Wade Smith. Was very good for the Texans when Foster was a beast a couple years ago. Recently got cut by the Seahawks though. He's a solid vet that will be able to pick up LG easily I believe.

We have also moved Kevin Graf from PS to the roster to cover depth. Could now see a line resembling

Peters - Smith - Kelce - Kelly - Herremans

Until Lane comes back of course.

Najee Goode is out for the year as well with a torn pec. We upgraded Acho from PS to cover his backup ILB role. Will be interesting if that means Matthews gets more playing time or they move Acho ahead of him in DC terms.

In case some don't know, Fran Duffy does amazing All-22 Breakdowns and previews of all games on PE.com

The Jaguars game recap can be seen here http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/n...The-Tide/56cbdf48-95cd-4ec1-bb4d-ce46b3f5510c

This play in particular stood out to me. I definitely think this is Jenkins making the scheme more versatile. You would never be able to play these coverages with Chung that's for sure

615_Eye_Week2A_17_090814.jpg

It’s third-and-long, and the Jaguars are going to be running a "Switch" concept at the bottom of the screen. By crossing over each other, the Jaguars are hoping the two receivers’ routes get the secondary confused, or at least causes interference, to allow one of their wideouts to break free in the open field.

615_Eye_Week2A_18_090814.jpg

The Eagles are in a type of Cover 2, with man coverage underneath. Malcolm Jenkins is the free player before the snap. He can help out where he is needed in coverage. Much like a play we saw last week in my review of the preseason, look at the pass-off here between Jenkins and cornerback Bradley Fletcher

615_Eye_Week2A_19_090814.gif

Jenkins picks up the in-breaking route. Fletcher passes him off to Jenkins and drops back to defend the vertical route down the sideline. Brandon Boykin sticks with his man through the route, in a trail position. Bradley Fletcher turns and makes his presence felt, as rookie Marqise Lee fails to attack the ball in the air and the ball falls incomplete. Great job of communication and execution in the back end for the Eagles' secondary.

This is a legit 50/50 game. Colts aren't a scary team. They have a couple of weapons, but are very Luck heavy. Their defence has some decent parts, but is very light in other areas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back