Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Red zone plays come more down to execution over play calling. What's wrong with calling the play that the majority of our offence revolves around. It was an inside zone ffs. We practice that blocking scheme 50% of the time. The execution failed, not the ******* call.

The issue was the minimum 6 points left on the field in the first half. Huff needs to put that ball away. Foles needed to be more decisive and take that shot.

We are 1 catch and about 3 inches from 7-0. There is no need to panic.

This season is concerning me... the Giants game was the only game we've pulled everything together - other than that, the defence or the offence has failed; specific players like Foles, McCoy and Fletcher had played rubbish games.

And that's concerning, because you don't a segment of your team failing so regularly.

Today it's more concerning, because you can add me to the list of supporters questioning "the genius". Some of the play calling today bordered on comical.

Beyond that, I'm usually not one to bag referees. But holy s**t were they terrible this morning. I don't know if it impacted the result - but when it comes down to the last throw, you can suspect that it did impact it in some way at least. In the first half the calls were overboard, and were as ridiculous as what we were getting in the pre-season; in the second half they went completely the other way, which I thought was what really cost us... it wasn't all the penalties we gave away in the first half, it was the clear penalties that we weren't awarded in the second half.

I thought overall we played ok. ppl whinging about the play calling in the rz were probably complaining that we did not run it from the 3 yard line vs sf.
i thought foles played pretty besides the turnovers and the backpedalling. his he had alot of throwaways but he put alot of passes right on point also.
Fitzy in the slot vs boykin really got exploited by the cards.

it looked like we were running a packaged play late where the first read was hb handoff, and then a reciever would release on the backside and it would be a high low read for foles. had alot of success with it late.

With the amount of blocking the wrs have to do, its easy to understand why the coaching staff did not value desean.

I'd rather desean over Cooper still. I don't recall him doing anything except that scramble drill catch down the sideline which I thought he bobbled anyway.

i thought foles played pretty besides the turnovers and the backpedalling.

I didn't even really discuss Foles, but I think it's interesting that you mention the backpedalling as a "by-the-way" type of thing.

To me? Arizona showed the NFL the template for beating the Eagles offence - blitz, blitz, and blitz again. If McCoy can't bounce to the outside he's ordinary. Foles isn't quick enough on his reads to deal with a blitz. And this season his footwork has been so terrible, a good blitz is likely to force him to backpedal frequently.

I'm not even going to compare him to one of the true great QBs - I'll just compare him to the good-very good ones.

If you put up a 2 minute drive worth of blitzes to Phillip Rivers, Alex Smith or Joe Flacco, they'll pick on the 1-on-1s for 2 minutes. Foles? He let the blitzing at the end completely ruin him to the point that he spent 2 minutes jogging backwards and got lucky with at least one real ordinary throw.

(And I'm only really talking about the last 2 drives - if you look at his game more completely, the interception near the end, I think by Cromartie, is what cost us the game. We've seen this season that more than ever, football is a game of momentum. We lost all the momentum today on that one throw.)

The issue was the minimum 6 points left on the field in the first half. Huff needs to put that ball away. Foles needed to be more decisive and take that shot.

We are 1 catch and about 3 inches from 7-0. There is no need to panic.

We're also rapidly approaching difficulty in making the playoffs.

We've all but given the division to Dallas by losing today (check their schedule v ours coming home). We've dropped games against two key wild card competitors.

We've all but given the division to Dallas by losing today (check their schedule v ours coming home). We've dropped games against two key wild card competitors.

Sorry, but bullshit. Dallas aren't the superpower they're touted as, and Murray will be down and out within the month. We're not even halfway through the season and we're 'facing difficulty'?

okay....

Facing difficulty means exactly what it says.

Dallas have very few games remaining that aren't winnable. We have a harder job winning the division from here than they do.

Our position is more precarious than the lame analysis of 'just look at our record' would suggest. Our record is only relevant as it compares to our division/wildcard competitors. Losing tiebreakers to SF and ARI could really come back to bite us.

The secret to beating us is to bring pressure up the middle when our offensive line is missing its interior?

Genius!

Did you watch the game? The blitzes doing the damage, for the most part, weren't coming up the middle, they were coming from the edges.

I didn't even really discuss Foles, but I think it's interesting that you mention the backpedalling as a "by-the-way" type of thing.

To me? Arizona showed the NFL the template for beating the Eagles offence - blitz, blitz, and blitz again. If McCoy can't bounce to the outside he's ordinary. Foles isn't quick enough on his reads to deal with a blitz. And this season his footwork has been so terrible, a good blitz is likely to force him to backpedal frequently.

I'm not even going to compare him to one of the true great QBs - I'll just compare him to the good-very good ones.

If you put up a 2 minute drive worth of blitzes to Phillip Rivers, Alex Smith or Joe Flacco, they'll pick on the 1-on-1s for 2 minutes. Foles? He let the blitzing at the end completely ruin him to the point that he spent 2 minutes jogging backwards and got lucky with at least one real ordinary throw.

(And I'm only really talking about the last 2 drives - if you look at his game more completely, the interception near the end, I think by Cromartie, is what cost us the game. We've seen this season that more than ever, football is a game of momentum. We lost all the momentum today on that one throw.)
Think about what you've done there. Comparing foles to a 29, 30 and 33 year old... Foles' career progression is far ahead of those 3 at the same age. And i would think the one thing you do get better with experience is picking apart blitzes and handling pocket pressure. Yeah he's slow footed but he's no worse than slap head Manning.

Yeah he's not playing great but why is he always the first to blame? He's 25 and basically in his 2nd year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The secret to beating us is to bring pressure up the middle when our offensive line is missing its interior?

Genius!

so about a week ago you said "we were the best in the nfc, period", and we lose narrowly to a really good team, and and we have "all but given the division to dallas?????" With 9 games to play we play dallas play 2 times, and we will hopefully have kelce and mathis back by then. Oh yeah our record is 5-2 atm

Genius!

Last edited:
so about a week ago you said "we were the best in the nfc, period", and we lose narrowly to a really good team, and and we have "all but given the division to dallas?????" With 9 games to play we play dallas play 2 times, and we will hopefully have kelce and mathis back by then. Oh yeah our record is 5-2 atm

Genius!

Yes, genius.

My opinion changes with more evidence. What do you do? There's no such thing as an unimportant loss in the NFL, particularly to conference rivals.

We're not going to win at Lambeau. Look at Dallas's schedule and point out any 'can't win' games. The division won't even come down to our second game against them.

Yes, genius.

My opinion changes with more evidence. What do you do? There's no such thing as an unimportant loss in the NFL, particularly to conference rivals.

We're not going to win at Lambeau. Look at Dallas's schedule and point out any 'can't win' games. The division won't even come down to our second game against them.

Agreed. IMO we will be in the running for a Wild Card spot, I can't see Dallas losing too many games from here on.

Yes, genius.

you say your opinion changes with more evidence, I agree, but instead of using the word "change" i would say you flip flop. A week ago you said we were best in nfc, now we are gonna struggle to get to the playoffs??
Did you want to fire chip kelly after week 7 last year? Our record was 3-4 then.

What I do? I remember we have a super good team that can win anywhere, even lambeau and remember that the only thing you can predict in sports is unpredictability. I know that Injuries happen, and we have a top 5 coaching staff and front office that makes pretty good personnel moves, develops players, builds chemistry, makes good playcalls and uses timeouts really efficiently. We have a great chance to win every game, and I think we will win the division, especially now that dallas is now 2-1 in the div, when winning the div may come down to div record.

you say your opinion changes with more evidence, I agree, but instead of using the word "change" i would say you flip flop. A week ago you said we were best in nfc, now we are gonna struggle to get to the playoffs??
Did you want to fire chip kelly after week 7 last year? Our record was 3-4 then.

What I do? I remember we have a super good team that can win anywhere, even lambeau and remember that the only thing you can predict in sports is unpredictability. I know that Injuries happen, and we have a top 5 coaching staff and front office that makes pretty good personnel moves, develops players, builds chemistry, makes good playcalls and uses timeouts really efficiently. We have a great chance to win every game, and I think we will win the division, especially now that dallas is now 2-1 in the div, when winning the div may come down to div record.

Oh you say that do you? And who really cares whether you say that or not?

I actually said we led the NFC. We did. And by virtue of losing we no longer lead the NFC. I know thinking isn't your strong suit, but come on mate. That's pretty basic stuff.

Tell you what though, since assessing evidence as it arises is apparently some sort of unseemly behaviour worthy of scorn, why don't you lay out the results of every game for the rest of the year. Even better, go put your money on it at the local TAB. Shouldn't be a problem doing it. You're no flip flopper after all.

Agreed. IMO we will be in the running for a Wild Card spot, I can't see Dallas losing too many games from here on.

They did us a big favour by dropping a divisional game, but I don't think it could be rationally argued that they don't have the inside running for the division if they maintain anything even close to their performances so far.

Sure, wheels could fall off... Romo/Murray get injured etc, but the same could be said for us. One or two injuries in the wrong spot and we're screwed. Who would like the look of the offense without Maclin for example?

They did us a big favour by dropping a divisional game, but I don't think it could be rationally argued that they don't have the inside running for the division if they maintain anything even close to their performances so far.

Sure, wheels could fall off... Romo/Murray get injured etc, but the same could be said for us. One or two injuries in the wrong spot and we're screwed. Who would like the look of the offense without Maclin for example?

People are getting way too far ahead of themselves. We still have 2 friggen games to come against Dallas.

It's patently ridiculous for anyone to try and claim a front-runner between the 2.

And by the way, we did have 2 key injuries. Kelce and Matthis are the 2 most important men on our offence, for the fact that we have so little depth on our O-line. We're still 5-2.

Again, its not a complicated statement. Look at the schedules. Their run is easier than ours. The two games only matter if we win our other games, something that we failed to do this week. There's no such thing as 'getting ahead of yourself' in the NFL when it comes to not losing. Every game matters, every loss hurts your chances. You can miss the playoffs with a double digit season.

It's time our team got serious for the season, and cut back on the self inflicted wounds. There's actually no guarantee our oline gets healthier. We lost Herremans today. Sometimes s**t happens. That doesn't mean we can consistently throw picks and fumble in the redzone, or blow pass coverage.

And by the way, we did have 2 key injuries. Kelce and Matthis are the 2 most important men on our offence, for the fact that we have so little depth on our O-line. We're still 5-2.

Jason Peters and Jeremy Maclin are also pretty important and irreplaceable.

People are getting way too far ahead of themselves. We still have 2 friggen games to come against Dallas.

It's patently ridiculous for anyone to try and claim a front-runner between the 2.

herremans is done for a while, if he does play, I think it speaks of how unready his backup is.

not sure what has gone on in terms of replacing kendricks, but the fact that we have not really missed him has been a minor miracle.

hopefully sproles is back soon, maclin looked pretty shaky returning punts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back