Phillip Hughes

Remove this Banner Ad

Article in the paper about his technique, DeVilliers i think it was mentioning that he doesn't get across and in line with the ball.

Fair point it is, he certainly has a weird style, but must have a super eye to bat the way he does and be successful against the new ball.

Article in the paper about his technique, DeVilliers i think it was mentioning that he doesn't get across and in line with the ball.

Fair point it is, he certainly has a weird style, but must have a super eye to bat the way he does and be successful against the new ball.

It's certainly unorthodox, but there's plenty of unusal and unique techniques around, belonging to players that excel at this level.

You don't make as many runs he has, at his age, in Australian domestic cricket, if you're not an exceptionally talented/good batsman.

I heard the commentators (might have been Nicholas) talking about his similarity to JL. There's a lot of Langer (late in his career) in Hughes.

To me Hughes has that JL thing early on, he likes to smash a few boundaries square of the wicket and then starts to settle down. If he can get a pull shot that would sort his problem with the short ball.

Chanderpaul the number one ranked batsman and reigning ICC cricketer of the year.

My thoughts exactly.

There have been quite afew batsmen over the years with techniques that aren't stright out of the text book, and it hasn't stopped them having long and successful international careers.

Shiv was the first player I thought of, Andrew Jones from New Zealand was another.

There'll be major celebrations in Macksville, New South Wales
37.6 Harris to Hughes, SIX, this young man's lived up to the hype! He takes a couple of paces down the track and lofts him with the turn and deposits the ball on the grass embankment over deep midwicket, Hughes take a bow! All the Australians are up on their feet
37.5 Harris to Hughes, SIX, talk about guts! Hughes seizes on another juicy flighted delivery and launches Harris downtown over long-on

NOTHING ELSE NEEDS TO BE SAID!!!!

This fellow will be a gun. Recent inspection tells me however, that despite making runs, he's not quite ready to make the jump.

Considering Queensland had him on the ground in the middle of the pitch twice, and failed to run him out either time, his innings last night looks better on paper than I think it actually was.

Still played some delightful strokes though :thumbsu:

I'm not quite sure why I said this considering i've had no hesitation pumping him up at every other opportunity.

If he wasn't ready when I said this, he certainly is now, and then some :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woohoooooo! :thumbsu: :D

Took his time to get through from 70-100 this time. Reckon I was sitting in the same spot, same position on the couch, not out of position for about 2 hours! :p

gun.jpg

Phillip Hughes lends his flair to Middlesex

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/cricket/counties/article6207028.ece

It is that instinct that makes Hughes such a special player. “He’s just having some fun out there,” Fraser said. “At the end of our game against Glamorgan when we lost three early wickets and were batting out for a draw, he suddenly started standing a yard outside leg stump and carving at everything.

“I suggested it was an interesting way of seeing out a game and he said, ‘Well you’ve got to have a bit of fun when you’re out there, haven’t you?’ ”

That's the attitude :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back