Phoenix Saved! The Distance Derby lives on!

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a pretty bad outlook by the FFA IMO - especially after the debacle with the Fury (and even GC) still fresh in the mind. I can understand though if they are pumping in $3m a year but would rather invest into Australian clubs. I do tend to agree the NZFA need to step up and take on more - though maybe they don't want too?

Could it be resolved if NZ moved into the AFC? I know the presence of a OFC team in a AFC affiliated league historically caused some issues with the AFC and FIFA.

I personally would rather the Phoenix be included and another (probable) Sydney team added then swapping 1 for the other. There was talk of Auckland City potentially trying to join the league down the track - having 2 NZ teams would be good for the local NZ market (having a rivalry) and might help improve development of their junior talent.

Simon Hill wrote a good piece and basically said that if the FFA kill off the Phoenix, it might be the final blow for the game in Oceania - or at least NZ. I'm not sure how true that is (given they seem to be trying to improve the local NZ league) but it would surely be seen as a step backwards for the game in NZ.

If NZ move into the AFC it'd be reasonable to shut down the OFC completely. There's no country left of any football ability without NZ; or incorporate the whole of OFC into AFC.

This would be an utterly fantastic result, but about as likely as me kicking the winning goal in a World Cup final. That money's allocated for bribes, not developing the game.

This is how the world is.

lowy.jpg

Didn't even knock any sense into him.

I love how all the A-League heirachy, SBS and Foxtel commentators all try hard to prove this is a mainstream sport yet won't lat a club stay the course for more than 4 seasons.

I have no ill feelings about another Sydney club coming into the league, i just don't want to see any more clubs disappear for that to happen.

Very interesting read about Cronulla or whatever they're called

If FIFA put a few extra dollars into the OFC it would be as viable as Central America.

Who gives a s**t if the Nix are in the OFC zone, they play in the AFC zone in an Australian comp.
How would it be as viable as Central America in football terms with a much smaller and less talented population?

So, Friday at 5:00AEDT is the big game.
Wellington V Adelaide.

Anything above 12k will be good enough I think. Just gotta make sure we keep getting around 10k to every home match from here-on-in. Especially the Saturday night matches, the Kiwis' preferred timeslot.

Problem is:
Adelaide have a 7-day break.
Wellington have 5-day break.
Slightly scared, but judging by the way Adelaide have been playing recently, I hope we can get a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, Friday at 5:00AEDT is the big game.
Wellington V Adelaide.

Anything above 12k will be good enough I think. Just gotta make sure we keep getting around 10k to every home match from here-on-in. Especially the Saturday night matches, the Kiwis' preferred timeslot.

Problem is:
Adelaide have a 7-day break.
Wellington have 5-day break.
Slightly scared, but judging by the way Adelaide have been playing recently, I hope we can get a win.
We've beaten you twice in New Zealand since the A-League's inception a decade ago. I think you'll be okay this week.

We've beaten you twice in New Zealand since the A-League's inception a decade ago. I think you'll be okay this week.

Is a long trip for you guys, but we have been a rabble this season.

2 - 1 for us would be worth a million dollars.

Statement from FFA CEO David Gallo
"FFA chairman Frank Lowy and I met with Wellington Phoenix chairman Rob Morrison in Sydney today to discuss the issue of Phoenix's length of licence.

"Rob underlined the Phoenix's financial stability, a matter which is not in dispute. We agreed on a number of issues, but in particular that the lack of support from other New Zealand stakeholders is a key issue.

“There are on-going discussions with NZ broadcasters, which The Phoenix have agreed to continue, while the need to expand interest in and the identity of the club across all of New Zealand not just Wellington was also raised.

“FFA expect the club to come back with firm proposals in the near future."

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...rsu0z877j1zk1u4oyf20fx64p#gMm3eOFRZbJQgbPE.99

I get the feeling if the Pheonix are to stay Gallop wants to change their name to New Zealand or just plain the Phoenix and have them play games all around the country in order to give them a broader support base. not going to happen while they are named and based in Wellington.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...rsu0z877j1zk1u4oyf20fx64p#gMm3eOFRZbJQgbPE.99

I get the feeling if the Pheonix are to stay Gallop wants to change their name to New Zealand or just plain the Phoenix and have them play games all around the country in order to give them a broader support base. not going to happen while they are named and based in Wellington.

How do they think it will work after the last stuff up?
Gallop messed up the NRL and know he wants to try and better the A_League, all he is doing is alienating supporters that are already onside.

Leave the Nix alone.

How do they think it will work after the last stuff up?
Gallop messed up the NRL and know he wants to try and better the A_League, all he is doing is alienating supporters that are already onside.

Leave the Nix alone.

Trouble is its harder to garner further support for a club that doesn't represent the whole country (or Island for that matter). At least the Knights had that. Wellington is far from NZs biggest city (despite being the Capital). A broader approach would probably help the club long term.

Trouble is its harder to garner further support for a club that doesn't represent the whole country (or Island for that matter). At least the Knights had that. Wellington is far from NZs biggest city (despite being the Capital). A broader approach would probably help the club long term.

Why?
Are the Mariners being asked to change their name, location or heritage? Maybe they should be the Northern NSW not including Newcastle Mariners, or maybe Newcastle should change to the Hunter Jets?

Their identity is what it is, if they choose to change it then fair enough. The A-League needs to run the business and let the clubs run the show.

Eastern Premier State Blues FC.

Why?
Are the Mariners being asked to change their name, location or heritage? Maybe they should be the Northern NSW not including Newcastle Mariners, or maybe Newcastle should change to the Hunter Jets?

Their identity is what it is, if they choose to change it then fair enough. The A-League needs to run the business and let the clubs run the show.

Chalk and cheese.

Why?

The Mariners aren't called Gosford Mariners are they?

Chalk and cheese.

How so?

The Mariners aren't called Gosford Mariners are they?

Have you ever heard that area called Gosford?
Newcastle and Central Coast should be made to merge if anything.

Wellington is a city but it is also a Region, the Greater Wellington Region has a population of almost 500,000 people. Compare that with the population of the Central Coast's population of 335,000 seems to me they have a bigger pool to swim in already.

Seems the only reason that Wellington is in this situation is the TV deal.

Have you ever heard that area called Gosford?
Newcastle and Central Coast should be made to merge if anything.

Wellington is a city but it is also a Region, the Greater Wellington Region has a population of almost 500,000 people. Compare that with the population of the Central Coast's population of 335,000 seems to me they have a bigger pool to swim in already.

Seems the only reason that Wellington is in this situation is the TV deal.
I've heard of the city they play in get called Gosford all the time it's the biggest city in the Central Coast Region. Wellington the city & region may have 100k more people but soccer's popularity there isn't what it is in Australia. The FFA can afford to have smaller Australian regions/markets in the competition because it's good for the local game but an NZ small region without a good TV deal or support from Football NZ is a different story. Now if Sky and Football NZ can't back the team questions need to be asked as to why.

The whole notion the FFA needs a Wellington team because it opens up the 4m person market of NZ as a whole is nonsense. Trust me the Phoenix don't get a mention in Auckland until the 4th or 5th story in a sports report unless it's about them being told they might not get a licence and then it might be 3rd! If they want 4m people to care/know about the A-league or 1 A-league team the team needs to be for the whole nation, just like the Breakers & Warriors in the NBL & NRL.

Before you say that's what the NZ Knights were, that's untrue. The Knights played all their games out of 1 stadium in Auckland. A stadium which most Aucklanders have trouble getting to. It was a token team for all of NZ, but in reality was an amateur team out of the North Shore of Auckland in a fledgling league

I've heard of the city they play in get called Gosford all the time it's the biggest city in the Central Coast Region. Wellington the city & region may have 100k more people but soccer's popularity there isn't what it is in Australia. The FFA can afford to have smaller Australian regions/markets in the competition because it's good for the local game but an NZ small region without a good TV deal or support from Football NZ is a different story. Now if Sky and Football NZ can't back the team questions need to be asked as to why.

The whole notion the FFA needs a Wellington team because it opens up the 4m person market of NZ as a whole is nonsense. Trust me the Phoenix don't get a mention in Auckland until the 4th or 5th story in a sports report unless it's about them being told they might not get a licence and then it might be 3rd! If they want 4m people to care/know about the A-league or 1 A-league team the team needs to be for the whole nation, just like the Breakers & Warriors in the NBL & NRL.

Before you say that's what the NZ Knights were, that's untrue. The Knights played all their games out of 1 stadium in Auckland. A stadium which most Aucklanders have trouble getting to. It was a token team for all of NZ, but in reality was an amateur team out of the North Shore of Auckland in a fledgling league

Where is your proof that soccer is more popular in Oz than in NZ?

I followed the Fury purely because they were local, once they were gone i chose Wellington on the basis that WTF A-League WTF.

Who cares what Aucklands sports report says, the club is Wellington.
Aucklanders are just annoyed the club isn't in their city.

Knights were crap.

Where is your proof that soccer is more popular in Oz than in NZ?

I followed the Fury purely because they were local, once they were gone i chose Wellington on the basis that WTF A-League WTF.

Who cares what Aucklands sports report says, the club is Wellington.
Aucklanders are just annoyed the club isn't in their city.

Knights were crap.

I live here and it doesn't get a look in at all. The Phoenix are supported well in their region there is no denying that, but their selling point to the FFA is we open up the 4m person NZ market to your league and that is completely false. The South Island barely get a game down there, and the 1.5m people in Auckland won't support a Wellington like they would an NZ one.

The news is a national broadcast not an Auckland one. So it's also getting the same poor coverage in Wellington where there is a care for it, and poor coverage to the other 3.5m people who probably don't know what colour they even wear. I agree the Knights were crap. They were hastily put together to make sure NZ had a team in a league that was starting up. They got a terrible stadium deal in Auckland & had an atrocious playing list that made them non-competitive. Had they been a strong side playing out of North Harbour Stadium they still wouldn't have worked out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back