Games & Recreation Photography: Who's into it what Camera and Lens do you have and show us some of pictures thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Also a great site to compare cameras and to get advice is www.dpreview.com.au , you can do side by side camera comparisons which helps when making a decision

Kicking off proceedings for 2016! This is Sorrento Back Beach . The Nikon D7200 is rocking my world

DSC088712.jpg

Nice work man, that area is a great place to take photos, absolute prick though on a cold windy day!

ISO a bit high. Maybe look to get a bit more light through the lens. Play with your aperture a bit.
Aperture was as quick as I could get it on the lens at that level of zoom. It was a balancing act of not getting too close and scared it away.

Feb 17, 2011
Outback
AFL Club
Fremantle
Aperture was as quick as I could get it on the lens at that level of zoom. It was a balancing act of not getting too close and scared it away.

That lens is a f4-5.6. Are you using auto mode? I'd suggest playing with speed and apeture in manual, with manual focus. Set iso at 200 or 400 to start with. Find something to photograph that has a bit of colour and shape, take a pic in auto and remember the settings, switch to manual and blaze away making 1 change of f-stop or shutter speed at a time and checking the result. It's a good way to learn what works for your particular camera/lens.

I know little of the 1200D, it entry level but should have more than enough functions to start pushing your lens to it's limit. Also a great way to learn how apeture affects depth of field.

I'm a lifelong Pentax user and I'm happy to plead ignorance of Canon's functions but there should be some kind of half/full stop exposure option.

1 piece of advice. Don't wind your zoom to it's stops, wind it back a touch and you will have a better image.

That lens is a f4-5.6. Are you using auto mode? I'd suggest playing with speed and apeture in manual, with manual focus. Set iso at 200 or 400 to start with. Find something to photograph that has a bit of colour and shape, take a pic in auto and remember the settings, switch to manual and blaze away making 1 change of f-stop or shutter speed at a time and checking the result. It's a good way to learn what works for your particular camera/lens.

I know little of the 1200D, it entry level but should have more than enough functions to start pushing your lens to it's limit. Also a great way to learn how apeture affects depth of field.

I'm a lifelong Pentax user and I'm happy to plead ignorance of Canon's functions but there should be some kind of half/full stop exposure option.

1 piece of advice. Don't wind your zoom to it's stops, wind it back a touch and you will have a better image.
Would've been on Program mode most likely.

Still a massive amateur and still bedding down proper exposure, composition needs a bit of work...but slowly getting there...

City game last season

Down at Port Melbourne/St Kilda...

Aus Open

NAB Challenge obviously...

May 3, 2006
Die Kaffeeklatsch
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, Donnybrook FC, Steelers
Little tip, You're better off zooming out a bit with sport photography, then cropping in a bit in post processing.

With fast paced action, if you're zoomed in too far you can chop off heads or get the focus point wrong pretty easily

Cheers Mance.

Yeah it's all getting it together in the one hit because sports photography is a whole different ball game, trying to avoid cropping where I can though. But such is photography that you have to rob peter to pay Paul in a majority of scenarios.

May 3, 2006
Die Kaffeeklatsch
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, Donnybrook FC, Steelers
With the huge res you get with modern cameras, cropping in a little bit is not going to harm anything. Certainly was a bit of a balancing act with my old 6.1MP Minolta back in the day. Cropping meant going from ok quality to Sega Megadrive grainyness :D

Sports photography can be a real bitch. The speed of the action means doing that balancing act of going high iso to get a crisp shot, but also getting a grainy result. Its hard to get the right focus point due to wide apertures giving a really small depth of field. The Light is often tricky. Yadda yadda

Best advice is to take an absolute crapload of photos...burst modes are good. 90% of the photos even the pros take get binned so don't ever be hard on yourself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just only heard of this 500px, sounds like its been around for a while, sounds like you're only meant to upload your premium work with the view that it gets selected for promotion by the site?.....

Nice what lens? Think NAB Challenge would be a lot less strict. I was ok at the Wangaratta game, but obviously going to be tighter at Etihad.
55-250mm on my 1200D. The rule is no lens bigger than 200. So when asked at the gate I honestly answered it was a 55mm lens. I just didn't explain that it extended out bigger. Then some flog security guard inside the ground asked me about it too and I just pled absolute ignorance.

Seriously contemplating markering over the 250 label so I can pass it off as 200mm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back