Pick 1, Give us your best offer

Remove this Banner Ad

I am going to do this the Essendon way.

We offer you Ben Howlett for the #1 pick and Menzel.

If you really push us we might throw in our 3rd round pick but probably not until the last day of trade period.
From what I've seen Essendon fans don't so much propose paying unders as expecting huge overs for their own players e.g. Wingard or Wines + pick 17/pick 4 and Aish for Ryder.

You've got to look for the smallest positives when you support a basket case ;)
For mine winning games, picking the club off the bottom of the ladder and avoiding the embarrassing wooden spoon would be a positive, but each to their own. Who knows they could be a star but they could also be another Watts or Kreuzer, there isn't usually much difference between having pick 1-5 in the draft imo.

Mate I just don't see any of young superstars that have been bashed week after week wanting to leave us now.

Especially to a club in all sorts of trouble like Carlton. If they leave they're going to a club which is Premiership ready.

Carlton is far from Premiership ready.

Imo, players leaving GWS will be due to lack of opportunity rather than wanting to leave. Over the next year or two, I'd expect a couple of the GWS young mids listed will become fringe players if they stay. Not b/c they aren't any good - but b/c the GWS list will be so chock full of talent and there will be a need to bring through the talent from the next couple of drafts (age profiling of team as previously mentioned).

So it then comes down to what GWS gets for the 'young mids'

Whilst I take your point re: carlton and flag window, it also comes down to what other teams can give up.

A contending team might offer a late 1st round pick + player but that I don't think that would hold too much appeal for GWS as they'd (1) be making another contender stronger (2) are unlikely to pick up a player that adds significantly to their team and (3) would need to package the late 1st round + the existing GWS pick to move up the draft table.

A mid table team would probably trade a 1st round pick + player - It would make no sense for a team trying to ADD talent to their list to trade out 2 talented players for just one. Hence any player you get in such a swap would be of limited quality.

A bottom team - these teams would be ones that could afford to offer GWS something that they'd be interested in (i.e. top 4 pick where talent should be a step up from a pick in the 8-16 range). History shows that GWS are generally happy to trade 2:1 or 3:1 to move up the draft order.

jacksh (#12) + whiley + pick 19 (from o'rourke trade i.e. former #2) -> pick 7
boyd (#1) -> griffen + pick 6
tyson (#3) + picks 9 & 53 -> picks 2, 20 & 72
picks 21, 22 & 48 -> picks 14 + 29

GWS have also traded for picks 2, 3, 4, 12, 14, 15 in various earlier trades involving the mini draft concessions.

Imo, players leaving GWS will be due to lack of opportunity rather than wanting to leave. Over the next year or two, I'd expect a couple of the GWS young mids listed will become fringe players if they stay. Not b/c they aren't any good - but b/c the GWS list will be so chock full of talent and there will be a need to bring through the talent from the next couple of drafts (age profiling of team as previously mentioned).

So it then comes down to what GWS gets for the 'young mids'

Whilst I take your point re: carlton and flag window, it also comes down to what other teams can give up.

A contending team might offer a late 1st round pick + player but that I don't think that would hold too much appeal for GWS as they'd (1) be making another contender stronger (2) are unlikely to pick up a player that adds significantly to their team and (3) would need to package the late 1st round + the existing GWS pick to move up the draft table.

A mid table team would probably trade a 1st round pick + player - It would make no sense for a team trying to ADD talent to their list to trade out 2 talented players for just one. Hence any player you get in such a swap would be of limited quality.

A bottom team - these teams would be ones that could afford to offer GWS something that they'd be interested in (i.e. top 4 pick where talent should be a step up from a pick in the 8-16 range). History shows that GWS are generally happy to trade 2:1 or 3:1 to move up the draft order.

jacksh (#12) + whiley + pick 19 (from o'rourke trade i.e. former #2) -> pick 7
boyd (#1) -> griffen + pick 6
tyson (#3) + picks 9 & 53 -> picks 2, 20 & 72
picks 21, 22 & 48 -> picks 14 + 29

GWS have also traded for picks 2, 3, 4, 12, 14, 15 in various earlier trades involving the mini draft concessions.
On the proviso that Player X doesn't nominate one team and one team only.

Which will force our pants to our ankles!

True - you would hope that doesnt happen. If it did happen though, GWS could just send the player through to the preseason draft on principle (IIRC, has happened before with other clubs)

At this point in time that would make you a happy Chappy!

Clubs can't threaten to send players to the PSD, hasn't worked since the AFL changed the delisting periods. If a player truly wants out they'll delist themselves before the National Draft then put an exorbitant price on their head for a short contract, then sign an extension so the contract evens out. Uncommon but it's happened.

Lol worst list in the comp and you want to talk about possibly giving up the oppurtunity to pick the best young kid this year ? You should change the thread what would you give up for Murphy and yarran

So pick 1 Murphy and pick 7 Yarran.

Pick 1 rarely turns out to be the best player in the draft.
Overrated pick and overvalued.
It's nice to have but in terms of trading for it you would want to make sure that you don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure Carlton has come out and said that they will not be trading their 1st round pick in this years draft (whatever it may be) under any circumstances.

So you do agree with me trading 1 for two top10 picks?

I believe we need to trade our players more so to clear salary cap. I would seriously offer Pies
Daisy Thomas for their 3rd Round Pick

Pies get their cash machine back, popular with the kids and will assist with membership drives, bargain for Pies, and Blues get another 3rd Rd and clear up cap

We don't want him back.

I'd do it too pick 6 and 10 for pick 1 is excellent trade.

Fair chance that you draft a better or equal player at 6 then 1 anyway and then you get a 2nd bite at another potential gun at 10.
No.... Unless there is a genuine star KPF with minimal downside who is the clear number 1 pick, 6 and 10 are almost always better. Pick 1 is extremely overrated, probably coming from supporters of clubs which is going terribly and probably will receive the pick itself. Its almost always quantity over quality in the top 12 or so picks.

The only way Carlton should even consider trading away pick 1 (if they finish 18th) is if they can get 4 to 5 1st round selections (including at least 2 top 5 picks) in return. It would need multiple trades between a few clubs, so I can't see it happening.

No.... Unless there is a genuine star KPF with minimal downside who is the clear number 1 pick, 6 and 10 are almost always better. Pick 1 is extremely overrated, probably coming from supporters of clubs which is going terribly and probably will receive the pick itself. Its almost always quantity over quality in the top 12 or so picks.
You say no then go on to agree with me.

I was saying I would trade pick 1 for 6 and 10 if you read my 2nd sentence you would realise that. I was looking at it from Carltons perspective.

Last edited:
The only way Carlton should even consider trading away pick 1 (if they finish 18th) is if they can get 4 to 5 1st round selections (including at least 2 top 5 picks) in return. It would need multiple trades between a few clubs, so I can't see it happening.

Lmfao fair dinkum pick 1 is not worth that even remotely.

2 top 10 picks 1 in top 6 other top 10 would do much better for a club than 1 solitary pick 1.
The best player rarely is the number 1 pick. But i don't see a club being dumb enough to give up 2 top 10 picks for it.

I'd do it too pick 6 and 10 for pick 1 is excellent trade.

Fair chance that you draft a better or equal player at 6 then 1 anyway and then you get a 2nd bite at another potential gun at 10.
Have a look at the history of Pick 6, and the history of Pick 1. Not even close to comparable.

you can have Hannebery for pick 1 and your next pick - which is likely to be no. 19

I'm not even sure I'm serious about that but I reckon that'd be enough to tempt you

Have a look at the history of Pick 6, and the history of Pick 1. Not even close to comparable.

Put them up against the top 15 of most drafts and there is only a handful that stand above the pack.

Pick 6 could be any player taken after 5 in the first round such are the differences in recruiters draft boards.
Then to pick 10 Bartell, Sidebottom or J.Reiwoldt, N.Brown level players still on the board.

You say no then go on to agree with me.

I was saying I would trade pick 1 for 6 and 10 if you read my 2nd sentence you would realise that. I was looking at it from Carltons perspective.
what we are saying dont contradict, im speaking not from Carlton's perspective. Noone would give 2 top 10 picks for pick 1 bar GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back