Prediction Pick 14/Draft Night Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that we can all agree if a miracle occured and Rice isnt bid on and Mathieson fell to our 2nd we would all be very happy.

Is it too late to arrange for Matho to be caught doing doughnuts on the Moorabbin Oval while drunk? That should ensure that he slips to 66.

He's a good bloke but.

Yeah I'm starting to lean away from Matho, you can dig up contested bulls with a good personality, average disposal and mediocre athleticism in the back ends of the rookie draft, perhaps with not quite the junior career credentials Rhys has. He gets compared to Lenny a lot, but that is drawing a ridiculous ultra long bow.

Praying for a slider to spice things up.

A lot of overreacting in the wrong direction in this thread I think. Mathieson is a very good player, average footballers simply do not make the U18 all australian team two years in a row.

Cal twomey has him going at essendon's pick 28 (!) in his phantom draft. I'm very confident of him being available at 14. Also, I don't know why Clarke isn't rated. Also a good player.

Mathieson also bottom 5% in the beep whereas Barlow was a 14+ beep test. So no. Nice try though.

Fox sports has Mathieson at 24
Quayle - not in the top 25
Callum Twomey - 28

So please explain to me why all you BigFooty experts know more than these actual experts? Or is it just that you heard a BS rumour from a supposed club insider and then jumped on board?

Fox sports & Quayle both have us taking Tucker.
Finally some common sense

It's become trendy to bag Mathieson obviously.

Would be interested to hear from those who consider him a massive risk how often they've seen him play.

As I'm only going off what a few friends in recruiting have said and a handful of games that I've seen, I'd be interested in how this evaluation of Matho as a bust has come about.
I'd argue it's the other way around...

More lovers than haters

A lot of overreacting in the wrong direction in this thread I think. Mathieson is a very good player, average footballers simply do not make the U18 all australian team two years in a row.

It would be interesting to see a list of the dual u18 AA's since its inception.

I'm quite indifferent to what happens with Matho, I'll be happy to have him, and I'll be fine if he's elsewhere. We do need a bull, but I'd back in Dunstan/Ross and take the gamble on a lower rated inside player later in a draft.

The groaning from the debbie downers will be insane if he goes elsewhere and makes an impact early. Fingers crossed its Freo and he's relegated to the WAFL for the next 3 years.

Gotta say, despite the change of direction on this thread, I'd still be rapt with Matheison. I can't really understand why he's dropped in phantom drafts so much. He's been fantastic for two years and showed something special playing senior footy.

Would also be very happy to get Gresham or Tucker also.

It's become trendy to bag Mathieson obviously.

Would be interested to hear from those who consider him a massive risk how often they've seen him play.

As I'm only going off what a few friends in recruiting have said and a handful of games that I've seen, I'd be interested in how this evaluation of Matho as a bust has come about.
Bad beep test which will hurt him during all the beep tests that happen during games.

Given the phantom drafts from the press side of things (range 20 to 30) and our expressed intent to pick the best available @ 14 we will not be picking Mathieson.

So Tucker/Gresham/Balic and if we are telling little fibs possibly Hibberd/Collins

Given the phantom drafts from the press side of things (range 20 to 30) and our expressed intent to pick the best available @ 14 we will not be picking Mathieson.

So Tucker/Gresham/Balic and if we are telling little fibs possibly Hibberd/Collins

Don't know if our recruiters would pay any attention your phantom drafts.

Still prefer Gresham

Nah Joffa I certainly wouldn't be taking notice of my predictions.

However I take notice when the three major phantom drafts by people paid to watch every young player all have Mathieson mid 20's and we have said many times "best available".

There will definitely be a suitable mid available (Tucker/Gresham/Balic/Mathieson) but I will very interested to see what happens when our turn comes if someone like Kieran Collins hasn't been selected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing wrong with Matho its just that he is much more a pure inside mid and I think Trout and Co probably want someone with a bit more versatility that can go on the outside also. That being said if a really good KPP slipped through to us then they would probably look at that. It's all a mystery until names start getting read out anyway so no point worrying about something we have zero control over anyway.

Personal favourite is Gresham though if he doesn't get snapped up by someone else first. Gets plenty of clearances, uses it well, kicks goals and is a leader on and off the ground. Plus smaller players with lots of talent who slide because of their height, can become excellent players, ie: Lewis Taylor, Jack Lonie, Caleb Daniel, etc. The cream always rises to the top!

Nothing wrong with Matho its just that he is much more a pure inside mid and I think Trout and Co probably want someone with a bit more versatility that can go on the outside also. That being said if a really good KPP slipped through to us then they would probably look at that. It's all a mystery until names start getting read out anyway so no point worrying about something we have zero control over anyway.

Personal favourite is Gresham though if he doesn't get snapped up by someone else first. Gets plenty of clearances, uses it well, kicks goals and is a leader on and off the ground. Plus smaller players with lots of talent who slide because of their height, can become excellent players, ie: Lewis Taylor, Jack Lonie, Caleb Daniel, etc. The cream always rises to the top!
I think this belief that Matho's versatility starts and finishes as an inside mid is off the mark.

He's very adept at playing forward with good hands and loves to kick a sausage roll.

Nah Joffa I certainly wouldn't be taking notice of my predictions.

However I take notice when the three major phantom drafts by people paid to watch every young player all have Mathieson mid 20's and we have said many times "best available".
You and others who are saying things along similar lines do realise that they have him there because they think that's where he is going to be picked tonight though don't you? They are phantom drafts, not their personal "power rankings" and if they got mail that a club was very likely to pick him at say 10, they'd have him at 10. It's not about where they personally rank them.

For all you know it could just be that there are clubs interested in him with higher picks than the mid 20's who are playing their cards close to their chests. He is someone who they will have all been watching closely for 3 years now at a minimum, they will have spoken to him at the AIS, the combine and so-on and they know what he's all about and what they're going to get from him, so they might not need to interview him a bunch of times late in the piece, which is something that can let everyone know they're into him.

Matheison is Michael Barlow slow. His lack of pace is something he has had to contend with all his life, and I would guess that he has cultivated a certain smarts in order to circumvent that deficiency. He will accumulate possessions, and I dare say on a wet day at the MCG he would repay the club in spades.
Michael Barlow had to prove himself by dominating in the VFL first. Look at guys like Adam Cockie - drafted at pick 18 - good work horses but not AFL std.

I see where you're going. And while I agree to an extent I think the impact of a greatly reduced output from ross and dunstan has been really underestimated. Dunstan was one of our best mids in his first year. Many people me included have a short memory but when he is fit and firing Dunstan is about as good an inside mid as the club needs.
+ Acres.

Jimmy Toumpas was lightning quick and probably ran a great beep test. Who cares? He was a flop who couldn't find the pill or handle the real stuff. Mathieson is a footballer and I rate footballers. Also, have read some glowing reports on the kid from people who've watched him first hand. As someone who can't do this, I tend to rely on these reports somewhat...

PS I'm just a mouthpiece for the Club, see, I'm the minaret for their religion and I bow down before the wisdom of Ameet's 10 foot wang.
Ameet's ten foot wang has been revealed - and it does not rate Mathieson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back