Toast Pick #19: Welcome to Carlton Blaine Boekhorst

Remove this Banner Ad

He might've been available of pick 28. But whose to say we rated La Verde higher then DVR? Perhaps Rogers knew DVR had more chance of sliding through to pick 28 then BB. And we ended up with both players we rated higher then La Verde.

This.

While I was surprised we passed on Laverde, and I do think Boekhorst would have been available at 28, the Rainbow may well have been next on our list. We may have gotten our two preferences available at #19. We certainly covered our needs. It's silly to be so critical of our recruiting as we won't know for years if they made the right call or not.

:D Fact.................or Fiction?
The problem with hindsight is that none of it is verifiable. Rogers isn't going to come out and list his 1-17.

Essendon may be spinning us a yarn but there's probably half an element of truth in there somewhere of indications we might have rated Langford higher than Laverde. Whether we rated Langford higher than Boekhorst is counterproductive.

The recruiting of Broekhurst is interesting as Murphy is now 27 and Gibbs 25 so it's good to not have an 18 year old midfielder that would of taken 3 or 4 years to hopefully develop. Trust our recruiting department and I wouldn't be suprised if Mick had a say in the decision, very good judge.

I know you are giving them a pat on the back, but what you have outlined here is exactly what the problem is with Carlton.

Just looking at Boekhorst's stats he is reported as 184 cm and 69 kg. Little Jeffy Garlett was 180 cm and 70 kg when he made his debut and he looked like he would be snapped in half.

Anyone expecting BB to make an immediate impact in the side may be in for a rude awakening .........

Just looking at Boekhorst's stats he is reported as 184 cm and 69 kg. Little Jeffy Garlett was 180 cm and 70 kg when he made his debut and he looked like he would be snapped in half.

Anyone expecting BB to make an immediate impact in the side may be in for a rude awakening .........

According to Carlton website Boekhorst is 75kg.

I'd be disappointed if he didn't.
We didn't recruit a 21y.o. to spend 3 years building up. It's what we need and need it now...

I like this from him:
“I’m just a running midfielder who breaks the lines, makes good decisions, has good skills with hand and foot and is someone who can take the game on and provide the x-factor,” came the reply.
Just?

We're building......Cripps, Menzel, Docherty, Jaksch, Buckley, Graham etc. Just no thanks to the Lambs that are about..

Not only are those young kids going to form the nucleus of our next flag challenge, but they are seem totally fine upstanding citizens, which is crucial in the culture change Mick and Andy McKay are bringing to the club.

Our middle tier players - 100 - 200 game players have been the biggest weakness at our club for years, which Mick has helped address by bringing over quality recruits like Andre Everitt and Daisy etc

I am a massive fan of our list regeneration of the past 2 years, probably won't see the fruits of it till at least 2016, but certainly the foundation has been built.

I don't think people realize that we too have suffered as a result of GWS and Gold Coast hoarding the drafts of recent years.

The problem with hindsight is that none of it is verifiable. Rogers isn't going to come out and list his 1-17.

Essendon may be spinning us a yarn but there's probably half an element of truth in there somewhere of indications we might have rated Langford higher than Laverde. Whether we rated Langford higher than Boekhorst is counterproductive.

They're spinning a yarn..............................there isn't much else they can do.

Sell hope...Sell strength...Sell unity and in Hirds case........sell your mother if you have to.

I'd be disappointed if he didn't.
We didn't recruit a 21y.o. to spend 3 years building up. It's what we need and need it now...

I like this from him:

Just?
We've recruited a guy who has skipped over that 2-3 year development period so he should be right to go.

The only negative is that his development was done by people outside of the AFL environment so he's going to have clear gaps in his education. Teaching him to run both ways is going to be a tricky task at a club who's players already struggle with the concept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can afford to throw away players because they were given too much in the first place.
I think GWS lost on the Ahern trade.

But they broke even on the Marchbank one, if that makes any sense.

i.e. Boyd was primarily interested in dollar signs, whose salary GWS no longer have to pay. Plus, they got Ryan Griffen thrown in for free.

Dodoro's comment that they took Langford before LaVerde to upset Carltons plans was interesting.

Was he suggesting we were looking at Langford because it makes no sense otherwise. Unless Essendon wanted DVR or Boekhorst further on.

I'd say he was remembering the Hampson/Jetta/Grigg scenario and trying to be a dick. Mission accomplished because he didn't affect us at all. Zero hesitation by Carlton at our picks.

Yeah stick a Fork in him ...he's done
Didn't say anything like that of course, but assuming the best case scenario, as we all do at draft time, he may play 40+ games less than an equally rated youngster. He may also step in from round one next year (as Rogers has flagged...pressure much?) and give us a scintillating 200 games and a flag or two in which case we probably won't sweat the potential games missed.

Generally a bit defensive on here post draft. There is room for discussion and it's natural to question the drafting when the name called out is a bit of a surprise...the club is yet to earn the blind faith of supporters when it comes to draft day. Perhaps its the Matheson influence but we have a tendency to gamble on draft day. Yarran wasn't a safe pick, Rowe wasn't a safe pick, less said about 2010 the better, Bootsma was a ******* strange pick, Temay appears to have been picked more on athletic profile, Menzel had very clear question marks and even Cripps will be breaking the mould to be a truly effective 194cm mid. We appear to play with a larger margin for error than many clubs and bank on upside. Not necessarily a bad thing...Richmond mostly take a conservative route and now have a list stacked with vanilla mids.

In principle I do not support mature-agers with the first pick, particularly when there are "top 10ers" sliding down the order. But that said, Bratwurst's highlight package shows some really handy skills. Kicking looked great. Hope he goes great for us!

This is the problem with Carlton recruting, there are no 'principles' it is just a 'whatever' philosophy.

Some examples

1. You should never take a 21 year old in the first round unless he has gun KPP written all over him, and even then it's a stretch because he'd already be in the system.

2. You should never take a ruckman in the first round because they are always injured, take longer to develop and usually have shorter careers.

3. The senior coach should have NO say at all in first and second round picks. Not even down to requesting a midfielder or KPP.

4. Drafting in the first two rounds should be for the purposes of accumulating talent, not a needs based recruiting strategy.

Yes drafting principles!

There's a few just off the top of my head.

Rogers is a dunce 'we take the best player', of course he's the best player, he's 3 years older than the rest!

What should happen:
1) Board tells coach this is how we draft at Carlton
2) Head of recruiting follows drafting principles
3) Senior coach welcomes the two most highly rated draftees as 18 or 19(max) year olds for first round, 19 or 20(max) year olds for second round
4) Coach gets fired but we can be confident in knowing we have drafted the best talent for the new coach to work with

What happens at Carlton
1) Senior coach wants a player that can 'do this' or 'do that' or 'play now'
2) Head of recruiting selects players that can 'do this' or 'do that' or 'play now'
3) Senior coach welcomes the two type of players he requested who will probably be fired within 2-5 years (on average)
4) Coach gets fired and the new coach is left to clean up the old coaches mess

Was he suggesting we were looking at Langford because it makes no sense otherwise. Unless Essendon wanted DVR or Boekhorst further on.

I'd say he was remembering the Hampson/Jetta/Grigg scenario and trying to be a dick. Mission accomplished because he didn't affect us at all. Zero hesitation by Carlton at our picks.
I would actually hazard a guess and say that Essendon rated Boekie higher than Leverde as well which is why they took Langford at 17 and left Leverde hanging at pick 19 with the intention of taking Boekie at 20.

If it was a case of attempted slight of hand to try and force us to give up a player we rated highly so that they could snaffle him, they failed miserably.

This is the problem with Carlton recruting, there are no 'principles' it is just a 'whatever' philosophy.

Some examples

1. You should never take a 21 year old in the first round unless he has gun KPP written all over him, and even then it's a stretch because he'd already be in the system.

2. You should never take a ruckman in the first round because they are always injured, take longer to develop and usually have shorter careers.

3. The senior coach should have NO say at all in first and second round picks. Not even down to requesting a midfielder or KPP.

4. Drafting in the first two rounds should be for the purposes of accumulating talent, not a needs based recruiting strategy.

Yes drafting principles!

There's a few just off the top of my head.

Rogers is a dunce 'we take the best player', of course he's the best player, he's 3 years older than the rest!

What should happen:
1) Board tells coach this is how we draft at Carlton
2) Head of recruiting follows drafting principles
3) Senior coach welcomes the two most highly rated draftees as 18 or 19(max) year olds for first round, 19 or 20(max) year olds for second round
4) Coach gets fired but we can be confident in knowing we have drafted the best talent for the new coach to work with

What happens at Carlton
1) Senior coach wants a player that can 'do this' or 'do that' or 'play now'
2) Head of recruiting selects players that can 'do this' or 'do that' or 'play now'
3) Senior coach welcomes the two type of players he requested who will probably be fired within 2-5 years (on average)
4) Coach gets fired and the new coach is left to clean up the old coaches mess

Is that you Mathisen?

Seriously though, all of your points are arguable at best. They certainly aren't hard-and-fast rules. If they were, many of the stars of the comp wouldn't be where they are now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back