Toast Pick 23 Pat McKenna Welcome aboard

Remove this Banner Ad

186cm and 76kg. Very odd to reach for a fwd at those stats, apparently not overly quick but has sticky hands and is a good kick.

McKenna said he was prepared for the interstate move. “They came out and spoke with me about how it works up at GWS and so it won’t be much of a surprise."
He said being such a young group, it would aid in his development. “The only direction is up for the club and I’m super excited to be part of it.” McKenna will have a familiar face on the journey with him, with Cannons player Paul Ahern also joining GWS. “We played in under-16 Cannons together," he said.
http://www.macedonranges.starweekly...gisborne-s-patrick-mckenna-off-to-gws-giants/

761983-14d4c904-76c4-11e4-a0f0-f6e11a4d80ae.jpg

“At the end of last cricket season I wasn’t enjoying it as much as would have liked,” McKenna told The Daily Telegraph.“I was glad when footy season came around and that was a pretty good indicator of how I was feeling. In November I had a call and was told I’m captain of the Australian cricket team (Under 19) which was a chance of a lifetime. “I enjoyed the trip but didn’t feel like I was enjoying the game as much as I should have. It wasn’t just a split second decision to choose football, and when the opportunity was there to play football I decided to have a crack at it.” He did just that, McKenna played 18 senior games this year for Gisborne in the Bendigo League, kicking 45 goals, making the league’s team of the year and winning the Rookie of the year. In one game against Kangaroo Flat he kicked nine goals.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aside from anyting else, this is proving to be nice piece of publicity. I am sure the Giants were hoping ths would add a little bonus to this selection. It keeps the Giants in the media a little longer post draft, and the story may just resonate with young Western Sydney and Canberrans looking for a change from their current sport. McKenna's move says it is ok to change course from what seems to be your destiny and follow your heart into something you enjoy.

There's no highlight reel but if you've got the time you can watch all of Gisborne's matches here.

http://www.bendigofnl.tv/clubs/gisbourne

Every match videotaped in the BFL ...

You have a good one Giants fans.... Great hands and kick..... excellent decision maker...... take a look at the second half of Round 18 V Kangaroo Flat....... There has been much discussion about the goals... but Pat's around the ground work is also first rate.

Gavin Robertson played 4 tests and a handful of one dayers - works in the media department. Handy with the off spin.

Jesus that's a weird coincidence. Given the recent test where the top 6 Australian batsmen scored half centuries I'd gone looking for the other cases of that - one was India against Australia in 97/98, and I had a bit of fun with coworkers about getting them to name the bowling attack in the test other than Warne (Kasper, Wilson, Robertson) because I literally had to look up Robertson due to not remembering who he was.

Just read that we had scouts at almost all his games last year so we definitely knew all about his game and what he can do! Wouldn't be the first player plucked from suburban footy that makes an impact at the top level. I'm quite bullish about this one!

Just read that we had scouts at almost all his games last year so we definitely knew all about his game and what he can do! Wouldn't be the first player plucked from suburban footy that makes an impact at the top level. I'm quite bullish about this one!
Where'd you read that?

The other thing with Pat is that we have had enough really high draft picks that we could afford to have a Swing for the fences pick. Unknown potential, so why not try it when we could have just as easily passed on the pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back