Toast Pick #26: Welcome to the kennel Kieran Collins

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
I expect that the Collins v Toyd match ups at practice matches are going to be fierce
That's an interesting point. Having Collins could accelerate Boyd's development as well given that he really hasn't had intraclub matchups that challenge him physically thus far. Collins isn't a hell of a lot shorter, appears very strong, attacks the ball and is competent one on one. Something I hadn't considered but it certainly could help.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's an interesting point. Having Collins could accelerate Boyd's development as well given that he really hasn't had intraclub matchups that challenge him physically thus far. Collins isn't a hell of a lot shorter, appears very strong, attacks the ball and is competent one on one. Something I hadn't considered but it certainly could help.

His arm length is quite long and he's still growing (was listed at the 191cm at start of season and is nearly 194cm now), so reach certainly won't be a factor.

And you make a decent point regarding Boyd. Roughead easily had his measure last year, but is training as a ruck now apparently. It's perfect Collins can now step in.

His arm length is quite long and he's still growing (was listed at the 191cm at start of season and is nearly 194cm now), so reach certainly won't be a factor.

And you make a decent point regarding Boyd. Roughead easily had his measure last year, but is training as a ruck now apparently. It's perfect Collins can now step in.
Young for his draft year too, hopefully he does a Zordy and grows.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Dogs have Collins up on the website as 194cm. Considering he's only 17 still he could grow another cm or two and I think 194cm is tall enough for Rance anyway so it shouldn't be an issue for Kieran.

Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City, Box Hill Hawks
Met this bloke at a bar in Richmond about a month ago. Had no idea he was 17 (looks 30). Can confirm he is a ripping bloke. After watching his highlights you can see he's going to be a rock solid full back for the next 10+ years.

Besides the guy who went at pick 1 he's the best key backman in the draft. Surprised he was there at your pick.

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Met this bloke at a bar in Richmond about a month ago. Had no idea he was 17 (looks 30). Can confirm he is a ripping bloke. After watching his highlights you can see he's going to be a rock solid full back for the next 10+ years.

Besides the guy who went at pick 1 he's the best key backman in the draft. Surprised he was there at your pick.
Hmmm underage drinking! Must be of poor character :p

Doggy Dan

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just think about how much having this guy and Adams on the training deck is going to improve Toyd.

Also perfect that these two will get a year or two with Moz as an on field coach. Timing is impeccable.

I just saw his interview on the website. He seriously looks like a 30 year old brickies labourer. I don't think I have ever seen a 17 year old that is so masculine. Very exciting.

Doggy Dan

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just think about how much having this guy and Adams on the training deck is going to improve Toyd.

Also perfect that these two will get a year or two with Moz as an on field coach. Timing is impeccable.

I just saw his interview on the website. He seriously looks like a 30 year old brickies labourer. I don't think I have ever seen a 17 year old that is so masculine. Very exciting.

* Also, Michael Talia leaving is the best thing that could've happened for us. Highlighted a need (that was already there) and we drafted accordingly. Maybe if Sh*tbreak was still with us we would've looked to others at 35.

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
Looking at the combine videos he has huge arms and shoulders and fairly narrow hips. If anything he might be a bit top heavy and need to fine down a bit.
Looks to have beautiful soft hands and great body on body work too. Looks like he would make a pretty good forward.

Rick Kenedy was built the same?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

A rock solid fullback was exactly what the team needed. Can we have no more Kennedys and those type of guys kicking 6 goals on us in a match now, please?

We were very lucky.

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
i just watched the replay to the vic country v vic metro game, the second one they played this year. I've gotta say if you did the draft off just that game, you'd go Schache 1 Collins 2. Collins was so aerially dominant that Metro couldn't get into it. He intercept marked everything, was willing to run and create. His kicking and composure was good and he had 20+ touches. It is just one game, but he was the far more impressive key back out of he and Weitering, who was still impressive.

I recommend everyone watch it if they have time. Just google video Vic C versus Vic M nab under 18 and you can go quarter by quarter

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I can't help it. I feel like I'm dreaming. I haven't been able to stop smiling all day after we picked this bloke last night. Should have seen me yahooing around the backyard last night. Deadset not been this happy on a draft night since Stringer.

i just watched the replay to the vic country v vic metro game, the second one they played this year. I've gotta say if you did the draft off just that game, you'd go Schache 1 Collins 2. Collins was so aerially dominant that Metro couldn't get into it. He intercept marked everything, was willing to run and create. His kicking and composure was good and he had 20+ touches. It is just one game, but he was the far more impressive key back out of he and Weitering, who was still impressive.

I recommend everyone watch it if they have time. Just google video Vic C versus Vic M nab under 18 and you can go quarter by quarter

Someone made mention Weitering was able to dominate because Collins was always taking the #1 forward, hopefully that's a great sign for us!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back