Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

His highlight video did make it seem like he's played up the field a bit. High intrigue.

Played a trial game against him this season and I must say the kid is good. My mate who was playing in the Bushies team this year said he was the pick of their team and would definitely get drafted, before he really broke out and had a good championships and started firming in people's mock drafts. So excited to have Tom at the club!

This kid is an absolute out and out GUN .
Will be the best tall to come out of this draft including stringer , who was taken at 5 , who Clurey incidentally absolutely destroyed this year at TAC level .
Don't pigeon hole him as a defender , spent plenty of 2011 as a bottom aged KPF / winger .
Think Pavlich and start stacking the cash into the future fund , because in a 3-4 years this kid will be on everyone's wish list .

The next Pavlich eh...

That would be nice.

Lot of wraps on this guy and seems to have slid for one reason or another, similar in size to Plowman but clearly knows how to lay a fist and is confident enough to back his early read on the incoming ball and take the mark- seems like he has a lot of tools and would best suit being a third tall type cutting off inside 50 forays and using his tank and speed to make a nuisance of himself running it out and getting forward.

Given his elite running capability and the fact he likes to play pretty loose down back, I wonder if we see him developing into a midfielder?

Reminds me of The Chad

We'll do bloody well if he can be that type of player.

Given his elite running capability and the fact he likes to play pretty loose down back, I wonder if we see him developing into a midfielder?
He actially doesn't play loose down back , he just reads the game so much better than others which sees able to get where the ball is earlier nd in a lot better position than others .
Elite endurance , elite foot skills and elite football brain , reading and decision making, the ability play in various positions effectively , packed into a 195cm 18 year old frame , that hasn't had a full Pre season for 3 seasons =
Future superstar in my view

He actially doesn't play loose down back , he just reads the game so much better than others which sees able to get where the ball is earlier nd in a lot better position than others .
Elite endurance , elite foot skills and elite football brain , reading and decision making, the ability play in various positions effectively , packed into a 195cm 18 year old frame , that hasn't had a full Pre season for 3 seasons =
Future superstar in my view
Can he turn into a CHB type?

Definitely seems a solid player, still just a little worried about selecting a guy at his height as a 'KPD'. Key position players basically have to be 194cm+ these days. While Clurey could play as that third tall, hopefully we didn't select him with taking tall forwards one on one in mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely seems a solid player, still just a little worried about selecting a guy at his height as a 'KPD'. Key position players basically have to be 194cm+ these days. While Clurey could play as that third tall, hopefully we didn't select him with taking tall forwards one on one in mind.

Defender can get away with being 192 if their good enough. If he knows how to defend then it should be fine

I wouldn't put him on the resting ruckman though

Rutten 192
Scarlett 192
Lake 195
McPharlin 193
Gibson 189
Richards 193
Glass 192
Cornes 192

Think he'll be fine. My POV is that key defenders need that extra mobility that comes with being slightly smaller to generate some kind of advantage over the taller KPFs.

Rutten 192
Scarlett 192
Lake 195
McPharlin 193
Gibson 189
Richards 193
Glass 192
Cornes 192

Think he'll be fine. My POV is that key defenders need that extra mobility that comes with being slightly smaller to generate some kind of advantage over the taller KPFs.

Sure, but look at the age of some of those defenders, then at how the average height of KPFs have increased in those years. Not only do you now have the resting ruckman to compete with, but its almost a requirement that you have at least one 197cm forward also. that 5cm gap can cost a fair bit.

Again though, not saying I'm disappointed, solid pickup.

Gets our GQ (Ginge Quotient) up too. :p

289440-tom-clurey.jpg

If you go to the Herald Sun draft tracker page

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/draft-tracker

And either click on + button to the right of his name or in Jay Clark's phantom draft list on the right hand side - he picked him at pick 24, you will see his pick me video which the HS did for the Clark's top 30 picks. Its bloody impressive and we may have well lucked out with a player who might be in the top 10/15 when these drafts get re assessed 5 or 10 years down the track. He explains why half his kicks seem to be on his left foot.

I see a bit of Dustin Fletcher in that video.

I should qualify my 'like' of your post by saying I only like the second and third sentences. I know you rate Jonas but he's no sure thing and we need an upgrade on him and Carlile. Blee wont make it.

I do rate Jonas, but I don't think he'll be a key defender, I think he'll be a Dale Morris type who plays on Steve Johnson/Dustin Martin HFF/mid types. His main strengths are his closing speed and his ability to spoil from behind, both of which are more useful on smalls than talls.

Clurey can play, my only issue with picking him is that we already have 6 or 7 'tweener' sized defenders. Trengove and Hombsch are the only ones we have over 192cm. We have Carlile, Clurey, Blee, Salter, Paul Stewart, O'Shea and Heath who all hover around the 190cm mark.

I do rate Jonas, but I don't think he'll be a key defender, I think he'll be a Dale Morris type who plays on Steve Johnson/Dustin Martin HFF/mid types. His main strengths are his closing speed and his ability to spoil from behind, both of which are more useful on smalls than talls.

Clurey can play, my only issue with picking him is that we already have 6 or 7 'tweener' sized defenders. Trengove and Hombsch are the only ones we have over 192cm. We have Carlile, Clurey, Blee, Salter, Paul Stewart, O'Shea and Heath who all hover around the 190cm mark.

This always confuses me because every single time I see O'sheas name mentioned his height seems to be anywhere from 190-197cm.... Other than that I'm not that fussed about the pure height of the players but I would much rather see a solid unit of players built to work together. If your caught out 1v1 then height becomes an issue but if we get a good set up where our player help each other out then I think we are all set... In Nicks we trust........

Remember guys he is only 17/18 at 193cm he could still grow a couple more cm in the next few years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back