Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

I do rate Jonas, but I don't think he'll be a key defender, I think he'll be a Dale Morris type who plays on Steve Johnson/Dustin Martin HFF/mid types. His main strengths are his closing speed and his ability to spoil from behind, both of which are more useful on smalls than talls.

Clurey can play, my only issue with picking him is that we already have 6 or 7 'tweener' sized defenders. Trengove and Hombsch are the only ones we have over 192cm. We have Carlile, Clurey, Blee, Salter, Paul Stewart, O'Shea and Heath who all hover around the 190cm mark.

I like the Morris comparison.

Post-draft article on Clurey. He had no idea who was going to draft him as he hadn't spoken to any clubs since draft camp. He would have to be our first recruit from Katamatite (it's near Shepparton).

Shocked Clury set to live dream

image.jpg

‘‘It was a bit of a shock, actually, because I haven’t heard anything since draft camp,’’ Clurey said.
‘‘I was sitting down at home with the family watching, not knowing what to expect.
‘‘But when my name got called out, I was pretty shocked and even now it’s still so hard to come to terms with it. It’s crazy, really.’’
Shocked Clury set to live dream

It's nobody's fault, but we have to have a quiet word with her about that guernsey... :p

Seriously though, how good is it to have all these proud mums pleased that their son is coming to Port Adelaide?

It's nobody's fault, but we have to have a quiet word with her about that guernsey... :p

Seriously though, how good is it to have all these proud mums pleased that their son is coming to Port Adelaide?

Anybody know if Brad Symes' horrible bitch of a mother ever joined our Facebook page?

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This always confuses me because every single time I see O'sheas name mentioned his height seems to be anywhere from 190-197cm.... Other than that I'm not that fussed about the pure height of the players but I would much rather see a solid unit of players built to work together. If your caught out 1v1 then height becomes an issue but if we get a good set up where our player help each other out then I think we are all set... In Nicks we trust........
To me height is not as much a factor today as it was 10 years ago,you don't get many true full forwards like you did in the old days the forwards of today are more mobile and have more strength.
We have been caught out in this department in the past by being pushed of the ball to easy,our drafting this year has addressed that in a better way and what i have seen of this lad he wont be pushed around easy:thumbsu:

Anybody know if Brad Symes' horrible bitch of a mother ever joined our Facebook page?

She was too busy playing Farmville, with the '97 grand final playing in the background.

I reckon it has something to do with hinkley. He's selling the club and the future very well

He is such an impressive football communicator. And I think Keith Thomas who is rebuilding the professional reputation of the club also deserves credit.

Wouldn't you fall over yourself to have these two build a McLean/Williams relationship?

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
a McLean/Anyone relationship would be great

PAFCsince1870

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
I think that article highlights the difference between drafting Vic Country and Vic Metro kids.

‘‘It’s frightening a bit because you have to move away, but even being two or three hours away from Melbourne, I knew if I wanted to play AFL I had to move away, so I was expecting that.’’

A reassuring perspective compared to the mentality of Ben 'I cried myself to sleep every night for two years' Jacobs.

cj_09

Premiership Player
Oct 14, 2012
Probably out prospecting for gold.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle United
I think that article highlights the difference between drafting Vic Country and Vic Metro kids.

‘‘It’s frightening a bit because you have to move away, but even being two or three hours away from Melbourne, I knew if I wanted to play AFL I had to move away, so I was expecting that.’’

A reassuring perspective compared to the mentality of Ben 'I cried myself to sleep every night for two years' Jacobs.

I reckon Clurey will turn out to be a very tidy player for us.

The future is definitely looking bright.

Can't hear that song/saying without thinking of the crows marketing campaign back in the early 90s (maybe even their first one).

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond

You are spot on . Brisbane has had a preference for Vic Country kids for some time . Being in the TAC the country kids are forced to travel large distances to train and often not with the comfort of their mothers breast . Likewise if they play state footy they are forced to travel to Melbourne .
The city kids in comparison are often taken by mummy , who sits on the boundary line trying to turn on coaches , dressed like a two dollar hooker , and then once princess has finished training he instantly returns to the comfort of mummies breast .
Naturally when they are forced to get to training by themselves and walk more than 5 mtrs , to and from the change rooms without mummy holding their hand they are going to get scared and want mummy .
You've done well in this years draft , your first two selections have been my favoured first and second rounders and from a long way out .

Back