Pick #30 (2012) - Mason Shaw

Remove this Banner Ad

You look for your big blokes to stand up and want to win games of football for your team, you want them to take the game by the scruff of the neck and wrestle back the assendency when they need to. You want your big men to be like Peter Siddle and Warren Tredrea, when the tank has nothing and the game is on the line, they want the ball in their hands! Westhoff is laconic and comes across soft and wanting, sure if he was 183cm's he would be seen similar to Danyle Pearce, but unfortunatly for him he is 200cm's and the bad traits stick out like dogs balls!

You look for your big blokes to stand up and want to win games of football for your team, you want them to take the game by the scruff of the neck and wrestle back the assendency when they need to. You want your big men to be like Peter Siddle and Warren Tredrea, when the tank has nothing and the game is on the line, they want the ball in their hands! Westhoff is laconic and comes across soft and wanting, sure if he was 183cm's he would be seen similar to Danyle Pearce, but unfortunatly for him he is 200cm's and the bad traits stick out like dogs balls!

YES!! westoff needs to play at HIS highest level more often and for longer periods in matches, every game.

Westhoff is fine, very underrated by all and even our own board. Much more consistent last year, gets to way more contests than he used to and finished top 5 in our b&f which typically rewards consistency above all else- this contradicts the general perception that the gap between his best and worst is huge, it may have once been but this has narrowed significantly.

One of our only senior players who has shown constant signs of improvement rather than stagnating or going backwards, these guys are rare as hen's teeth in our side at the moment. Credit to the guy as he was picked at 70something, has worked hard at his deficiencies and has forged a pretty decent career for himself.

Shaw is naturally bigger built, more talented and more aggressive and if he works anywhere near as hard as the Hoff has to become an AFL player he'll forge out a fine career.

Westhoff is fine, very underrated by all and even our own board. Much more consistent last year, gets to way more contests than he used to and finished top 5 in our b&f which typically rewards consistency above all else- this contradicts the general perception that the gap between his best and worst is huge, it may have once been but this has narrowed significantly.

One of our only senior players who has shown constant signs of improvement rather than stagnating or going backwards, these guys are rare as hen's teeth in our side at the moment. Credit to the guy as he was picked at 70something, has worked hard at his deficiencies and has forged a pretty decent career for himself.

Shaw is naturally bigger built, more talented and more aggressive and if he works anywhere near as hard as the Hoff has to become an AFL player he'll forge out a fine career.

This bit I can't agree with. Having only seen highlights of Shaw I may be mistaken but the hoff is one of our most talented players. Its his consistency that lets him down.

This bit I can't agree with. Having only seen highlights of Shaw I may be mistaken but the hoff is one of our most talented players. Its his consistency that lets him down.

Talent is in a lot of ways a misleading and very subjective term, but in this sense my intention was to reflect Shaw's overall superior natural attributes (strength, kicking, competitiveness, goal sense, marking) which lead to him being rated as the 2nd or 3rd best KPF in the draft and not on the verge of not getting drafted at all like Westhoff was.

If Shaw can work on developing his game he has the potential to be a go-to key forward whereas Westhoff's natural abilities are better suited to being a third tall or a floating wingman/utility like he is currently being used.

Just watched the PTV Raw video.. Learn to throw a punch Mason :p

Blocking one might have been more of an issue for him earlier this year. ;)

I just went to the afl website to copy and paste a new article on Mason Shaw but it seems to have disappeared.

It said that since he has been on our list, he has put on 20 kgs! From 77 kgs since he started to 97 kgs currently. He also mentioned that he hasn't noticed the extra weight stating that he is much fitter now than when he first arrived. Burgess was quoted talking about the need to have care with bulking players too much and too quickly and that he feels that Shaw is just right at the moment and wouldn't want him to put on anymore...

Wow, just wow... Maybe he's not as far away from an AFL call up as I thought.

Keep playing well at SANFL level son and you could be playing in an AFL finals series!!

Edit: Apologies - I see it's been posted in the "Reserves Player" thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow. Opened the thread to read about our next big white hope and all I get is osme of the most ridiculous assessments of Westhoff I have ever read.

Over the last 2 years, Beardswater has regulalry won and saved games for us with his contested marking all over the ground. Chris Dawes isn't half the footballer Westhoff is...

** EDIT. Just realised they were old posts re Westhoff from 2012 (and probabaly more justified back then). Carry on.

Last edited:
The idea that Dawes is a better player than Westhoff is lunacy.

Dawes is big and strong, fine.

Westhoff reads the play and marks at an elite level. He's incredibly agile for his size and is an elite runner. His skills are far superior to Dawes.

Garry Hocking reviews the form of his Magpies following their tough slog against Woodville-West Torrens in the wet...

Mason Shaw.....This was by far his best performance up forward for us for the year. He worked really well with Butcher and Shaw and presented up well for us but, as importantly, he worked hard back inside 50 and took some really important marks. Going forward he must bring this effort and approach to every game.

Really enjoyed reading that article but I don't want to get too excited until he recommits to the club, I doubt he'd leave after just his first contract but Freo are circling both him & Hogan from Melbourne looking to throw big money at a long term KPF.

I hope he signs on because he could have a big impact for us next year onwards.

Would love to see him get 1 game this year just for a taste and inspire him for next season, and who knows he may thrive at AFL level.

This.. has been done with many players.. give them a crack. Teaches what it takes to make it in the big time. shows the pace the aggression thats needed...
Look at the hoon, gave him 1 or 2 and he looked out of place.. then boom he adjusts and plays 2 finals!

If there's nothing on the game could leave a dozen players home and just rest them up for the first final. Am hoping it's a nothing game for both us and Freo bruise free and just a run for the players on both sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back