News Riley Bonner departs for St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion for our 1st pick in the draft:

RILEY BONNER

Tall defender with penetrating left foot and is very efficient on his non-preferred side. Breaks the lines with his rebound from defence. Can play tall or small. Progressed from U18s to senior level with West Adelaide this year. Impressed at the NAB AFL U18 Championships, winning All-Australian U18 honours.

383093.jpg

Last edited:

So I see Riley Bonner pulled a Wingard and told all other teams not to bother drafting him, as he would always come back to Port.
Luckily he did or he would surely go top 5.

Last edited:
I can't believe he fell to 32 given we would have picked him #1 if we had it. Embodies Judd, Franklin and gav in a 183cm back flanker. Welcome to the club.
Thought I'd save the trouble of posting in an hour.

Callum Ah Chee "allegedly" reported for snorting unknown substance and drink driving.

Slides to 26 and Port Adelaide selects him.

Allegations proved false.

pls.

looks like we will have to wait two years before AhChee gets his wish to play at Port

I am not sure that an underweight third-tall was really what we needed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like it was very surprising he was still there! Good news. Not sure we need more defenders who can play tall and small, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Only issue with this pick is that the Crows are sure to go hard at him, with Brent gone they need to replenish their 'players named Riley/Reilly' quota. If we draft a Rory with our next pick then 2017 will be a wild trade week.

From Knightmare's phantom:

34. Riley Bonner (SA – UTIL)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 07/03/1997
Recruited from: West Adelaide
Reminds me of: Poor man’s Matthew Broadbent
Brief bio: Bonner is one of the best kicks in this draft class. He has a 60m kick on him and can kick on both sides comfortably. He displays excellent composure in general play and also show excellent vision and decision making ability which in addition to his precision but damaging footskills makes him someone you want the ball in the hands of. At times Bonner’s kicks can miss targets, sometimes trying to do too much, other times a kick may not be as pin point as it could be, but generally speaking he will do great damage and really get the ball moving meaningfully. Bonner while being best suited to playing off a back flank has versatility and can push up onto a wing or forward flank. He is at times a threat to take intercept marks reading the flight well and at times getting to the drop of the ball, but it’s not something he does at a high frequency. He also at times shows a willingness to take on the game with some run and carry but while he moves well and is a willing runner for someone 190cm+ he is not a linebreaking threat by AFL standards. Where Bonner is weakest is in his contested ball winning ability as someone who looks very much set to remain an outside type. He also is not a particularly good defensive player needing to work further on his defensive running as well as his 1v1 work down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back