b0ydman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I bat for my own team
About this kid, I do feel he is our x factor pick. Fierce tackler and quick. His closing speed is incredible. Could be our best pick. With a bit of training he could be special. My tip right now for our next cult hero. I'm gettin' in early
Cult hero? Big call. Sam Gray has that one I reckon

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Rd1?

Pfft. Think bigger my friend. Premiership 2016 is on the radar.

Bring it on!

Sorry B-man... I probably should have quoted Sincs post rather than yours - I do like your thinking though #whycantwehavebothgif

Power freak 2008

Premiers 2004, 2020 Covid Premiers
Nov 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys/New York Yankees
Btw guys. We know that SincMagic is a St. Kilda supporter. We don't want him to forsake the club that he barracks for but a very close family member has just joined our club. We would love to have him here on the Port Adelaide site and maybe on day we will educate him on the dark side. His first cousin will experience some amazing times if he can get into the side. We will be able to get around Aidyn as some of us go to the Magpies games and will be able to give him an account of how he is going in the SANFL.

We are Port Adelaide so SincMagic, I'm afraid we are your buddies now. Watch out for a few of our cranky members but their bark is much worst than their bite. They are passionate supporters that embodies all that is Port Adelaide (you know who you are).

We will give you an idea of what he will have to support him to become a great player. I believe our fitness staff would have had a say in this selection. The recruiters would have done their due diligence but Burgo would have seen some of his tackling feats and smiled. His closing speed would have reminded burgo of some of soccer's greatest players.

Finally, if you need to come to Adelaide to see a game we would all be behind you. Again, Welcome to the club and may this relationship bring us multiple Brownlows and good times ahead.

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
Also, I am crazy old.
Its kind of nice to realise that every future draft will consist pretty much entirely of players that can't recall a time where Port Adelaide wasn't around.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
2qmntqw.png

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
At 22 seconds, has a chance for a snap, miscues by 15m and luckily it falls in a teammates lap.
1:20 has a snap and again goes short by 20m. - tough snap but still not close.
3:10 breaks the 50m line has a ping and shanks it as he did 50% of the kicks he has in the video.

OR, the glass half full opinion would be...

22secs, clean pick up puts the ball onto the outside of his boot and laces out his team mate... if his team mate let it go it probably would have dribbled through for a goal.

1:20, contested situation, slips then recovers getting the ball onto his non preferred boot and with great vision and instinct kicks it to the advantage of his forward resulting in a goal - assuming the player which marked the ball has half the sublime kicking skill as AJ!!!

3:10, laces out his leading forward with a 50m pass

Also I counted 12 kicks shown in the highlights package and all 12 kicks would have been credited as effective disposals as they all either were marked by his team mates or were goals.

I guess I am more of an optimist than pessimist...

Kicks both sides of his body, balanced, looks reasonably quick and very competitive. Congrats to Aidyn, its up to you now. When you get your chance, take it by the balls and make yourself a legend of a very successful and proud football club!

Nice pick up and welcome.....

Hang on.

HugeJohnson gets banned before the draft.
Aidyn Johnson gets drafted.

Aidyn is HugeJohnson. He got banned to adhere to the unwritten rule of not reading social media as a player.

Welcome Hugejohnson.

_VXV

Jesus Horne-Francis
Oct 12, 2014
etHELLton
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The gangly explains the injuries. Hasn't grown into his body yet. Plays a little above what his body can handle. Looks like he will develop into a powerful kid though. That burst of speed will be cultivated at our club.
Remember J Westhoff before he grew into his body?

Oh yeah.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 7, 2014
reynella
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC , Boston Red Sox/celtics
No wonder he has had injuries he plays tough and fast and is built like a twig , he has a great attitude and loves a tackle and makes them stick as well, was worried before i had a good look at him , 2 pre seasons without much injuries and you have a great AFL player for the future defiantly

From The Age

Aidyn Johnson (31/10/1997. 184cm, 75kg. Bendigo Pioneers)

Medium forward/midfielder

AFL biography: Medium forward with explosive pace and agility which allows him to find space in congested areas. Member of the NAB AFL Academy whose season has been marred by injury. Mixes his football between Scotch College and the Bendigo Pioneers.

"Aidyn's an elusive, smart sort of player. He has some good lateral movement and he's pretty dangerous in front of goal. He's got a bit to learn about how professional he needs to be off the field - how he's got to live the life 100 per cent of the time - but he can run and carry and break the lines. There aren't too many with his leg speed, so that might get him a chance."

Michael Ablett, AFL national talent football manager

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...m-forwards-20151008-gk48or.html#ixzz3sPhjvUBR

A story on the Bendigo Pioneers website - speed and endurance. ;) recording the fourth-best time (8.15s) behind Tasmania’s Kieran Lovell (7.90s) and proved his endurance running capabilities by reaching level 14.4 in the beep test

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/club_...ID=56105&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=36869141
Aidyn Johnson was scared – “very scared” – about the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine.

The 17-year-old Bendigo Pioneers speedster played in just the first TAC Cup match for 2015 before sustaining a nasty long-term quad injury shortly after that kept him out of action for the remainder of the season. Johnson learned some hard lessons in mental toughness over the subsequent months, before finally ramping up the strength and conditioning work for his legs around two months ago. But that wasn’t enough to remove the lingering fear that his quad muscle might fail him again in front of AFL recruiters at Etihad Stadium.

“I’m pretty nervous but I am testing, so I’m pretty excited,” Johnson said at the Combine, before the physical tests had commenced. “I was on the MCG playing against the Northern Blues with the AFL Academy (in April) and I picked the ball up, took a bounce and it (the quad) just went. “I was devastated when it happened and it’s been a long road back to recovery. “I definitely got a lot of resilience out of being on the sidelines for so long – it was very tough. “(I learnt to develop) the mental toughness to get through it, and to just have patience and trust in the process of recovery that you’ll be right to come back.”

Johnson certainly showed he was back at the Combine, recording the fourth-best time (8.15s) behind Tasmania’s Kieran Lovell (7.90s) in perhaps the biggest examination for his rehabilitated quad, the agility test. He also proved his endurance running capabilities by reaching level 14.4 in the beep test and finishing not far behind star Combine performers and North Ballarat Rebels teammates Daniel Rioli and Darcy Tucker in his 3km time trial heat. But despite his fine Combine results, the AFL Academy member said he was “not too sure” about whether he’d shown enough in nine TAC Cup games in 2014 to convince recruiters to draft him.

Johnson averaged 13 disposals and four tackles per game as a 16-year-old at Bendigo last year, including a four-goal effort in a rare win against eventual top-four team the Geelong Falcons in June. “I had a pretty inconsistent year last year,” Johnson said. “I had some good patches, but I’m pretty nervous (about my draft prospects); I hope it works out for me. “I reckon my speed and evasive skills (are my biggest footballing strengths) and I think I’m pretty competitive, so hopefully that gets me there.”

The rangy 184cm half-forward/wingman pointed to a couple of multiple-premiership-winning Hawthorn stars when asked which AFL players he likes to model parts of his game on. “I think everyone loves Cyril Rioli and the way he impacts the game with every touch... Quality touches – that’s what I want to model myself on,” Johnson said. “Also like a Brad Hill, streaming down a wing with so much pace and a very good aerobic capacity.” Like Rioli and Hill, Echuca product Johnson has indigenous heritage and took the chance during his enforced lay-off to expand his knowledge of Australian history while boarding as a student at Scotch College. “I guess there was a positive out of the injury – I started focusing on school a bit more and started going well at school,” Johnson said. “I do Australian history at the moment, and thinking about it, if you didn’t do that subject, you wouldn’t know much about early colonisation.

I want to do indigenous studies – that really interests me and I’d look to go down that path (in future).” Whichever new path Aidyn Johnson’s life takes following November’s AFL Draft, he’s already learnt plenty along the journey so far.
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/club_...ID=56105&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=36869141

Last edited:
Before the draft I said I'd like us to draft someone with blistering speed and an AFL statistical average kick for his position as I figured you dont get blistering speed + great kick at a pick in 30's which our first pick was. From his Inside Football profile I think we scored a bulls-eye on my dart board.

Aidyn Johnson Bendigo Pioneers 31/10/97 Ht 184cms Wt 75 kgs:
"Aidyn played only one game because of a recurring quad injury but his agility is up there with the best. A real excitement machine who can play one-out forward and really have an impact but can also play on a wing. He has great pace, great skills and detests being beaten as is super competitive." Bendigo Pioneers coach Brett Henderson.

From post #1 by Macca
Medium forward with explosive pace and agility which allows him to find space in congested areas.

Post #19 Ant Bear
Has a nice sidestep,

Post #30 Sincmagic
You might have seen on almost football legends Aidyn took an absolute screamer playing for Scotch.

Post #90 Ford
"Aidyn's an elusive, smart sort of player. He has some good lateral movement and he's pretty dangerous in front of goal.

Snoop Dog's Phantom draft
# 34 North Melbourne - Aidyn Johnson (Bendigo / 184cm / 75kg)
Another who has had a shocking year with injuries and it’s a little hard to place him in the draft. An AIS kid who has speed though and clubs are desperate for it so he should go earlier than later. At his best he is a very slick moving wing / HF who has speed, leap, good hands in the marking contest and the lateral movement to really work his way through traffic and put himself and others in space. His ball use is clean and he is a good kick so there is a lot to like. Interesting to see how his interviews go.

All this reminds me of Impey and what Ken said to him in the Rd 10 game v the Hawks at Adelaide Oval in 2014. As I wrote in the Impster building nicely thread after the Geelong game this year

What Ken asked him to do last year in this pre game chat video between 0:40 and 1.30 before the Rd 10 v Hawks game last year "...and you get the ball and you run, because they cant tackle you, they wont. You know you've got that sideways movement that not a lot of blokes can do at high speed..." is exactly what we saw last night.

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leeds United, Portland Trailblazers
welcome aboard Aidyn, I'm sure Ollie will show you the ropes around the PAFC.

I am very excited by this pick, the consensus seems to be that he has genuine x factor and is the only pure wingman in the draft. Ken would be the perfect type of coach to harness this young fella's talent.

Another indigenous lad too - Freo's joint holding with the PAFC of x7 indigenous players within the one side looks to be on very shaky ground indeed!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back