Toast Pick 45 - Mitch Harvey

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Harvey will be an excellent replacement for Schultz - He smashes packs and is a terrific kick. He was our best pick up last draft.

I think Harvey will be an excellent replacement for Schultz - He smashes packs and is a terrific kick. He was our best pick up last draft.

I've got high hopes for Byrne-Jones he has some real upside IMO.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I was excited about Harvey when we drafted him and nothing has changed in what i've seen. Port supporter, fantastic size, seemingly a natural key forward, knows how to lead, can take a grab, and can bomb them in from anywhere inside 60. He'll probably take time like all KPFs do, but if Burgess can get him into the perfect shape and build his engine up, i'm really excited to see what he can do. I really need to try to get to a Maggies game soon to see how he moves.

Last edited:
He is doing very well with the Maggies. High chance of being our next gorilla forward.

Would like to see him become our Tom Hawkins type.

Kenny wants a gorilla forward, he knows how dangerous they can be, especially with our game plan.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Would like to see him become our Tom Hawkins type.

Kenny wants a gorilla forward, he knows how dangerous they can be, especially with our game plan.
Sorry but Kern will need to take a backseat on this one as we've been wanting to recruit a big fat kid for well over 10 years.
Now we have Ollie and Harvey. :hearts::)

Has improved everyone of the 4 games I have seen him play. Starting to get a little excited about him. Not at the Macca levels yet.

Honeyboy Wilson

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I honestly don't see how anyone can say he's our best SANFL key forward at the moment. Butcher may annoy with his shots on goal, but he's definitely been better than Harvey this year.

Another preseason to build up his top half, tone up his bottom half and increase his endurance and Harvey may start to really dominate. He's got nice skills, but still disappears for long stretches of the game and unfortunately has to be used in the ruck a bit too often to help his development as a key forward.

Harvey has impressed and he's consistently got his 10 disposals, 3-5 marks and 2 goals a game, but Butcher has definitely been our best forward in the SANFL this year.

Harvey still got a long way to go. His defensive pressure is minimal and he goes missing for 30-40 minutes at a time. Maybe next year, but the only way we will see him this year is if Schulz, Westhoff, Trengove, Butcher & Shaw go down with parvo virus in the one week.

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
These big big kids just take longer to be AFL ready then other players. Butcher's been with us how long? I'm certainly happy with what Mitch Harvey's done for us this year.

The_Sheek

Senior List
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If it came down to selection with Shaw and Harvey, I would still go Harvey. Shaw has had an extra year in the system yes, but his career has been riddled with injury and hasn't strung together enough good form yet.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Harvey does have a long way to go to make it at AFL level, but he has now scored 18 goals in 9 senior SANFL games, ( Shaw has 6 in 9 games ), as a comparison Butch has scored 56 goals in 30 games, so there is only a gnat's appendage in it.

Harvey also spends time in ruck, plus it pays to remember he is still 18, he will be 19 not a real long time before Butch turns 23.
He should also develop a much bigger body than Butch, who is long and angular, while Harvs has a frame that could possibly take up to another 10 kg of muscle.

The best case scenario would be that all 3 can eventually push for AFL selection, but if only one makes the big time on a regular basis, that is about the law of averages, two would be a bonus, and all 3 would be sublime.

Jason K

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
Henley Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Harvey does have a long way to go to make it at AFL level, but he has now scored 18 goals in 9 senior SANFL games, ( Shaw has 6 in 9 games ), as a comparison Butch has scored 56 goals in 30 games, so there is only a gnat's appendage in it.

Harvey also spends time in ruck, plus it pays to remember he is still 18, he will be 19 not a real long time before Butch turns 23.
He should also develop a much bigger body than Butch, who is long and angular, while Harvs has a frame that could possibly take up to another 10 kg of muscle.

The best case scenario would be that all 3 can eventually push for AFL selection, but if only one makes the big time on a regular basis, that is about the law of averages, two would be a bonus, and all 3 would be sublime.

Has Shaw really played 9 games? Thought he just came off the injury list (long term?)?

Does he have the endurance to not be a liability? especially in a team like port with high running required. IMO a year off AFL standard.

Surely he should be fine sitting up fwd for 3 quarters.

BrockBlitz

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I don't think so. His running capacity is very poor for now. He doesn't have much of a defensive game as stated above. I don't think this is because of his attitude, I think its because of his inability to get to contests and chase. He is a 1st and maybe 2nd effort type of guy at the moment and that's due to fitness.

Nobody sits up forward for three quarters in modern footy. Every player is expected run up and down the ground playing defensive football. He would simply blow up after a quarter.

He's not ready, I can't see why people want throw him into it yet.

He should also develop a much bigger body than Butch, who is long and angular, while Harvs has a frame that could possibly take up to another 10 kg of muscle .....
I think you hit on the key point that Harvey and Butch are different types of players. So if an opportunity arises which one gets the call-up will depend on what we have to cover. Personally I'd weight selection towards Butcher, when on song he is fast and useful further up the ground as in the last Showdown. But Harvey will get a call up before the end of 2015 and I look forward to it.

Nobody sits up forward for three quarters in modern footy. Every player is expected run up and down the ground playing defensive football. He would simply blow up after a quarter.

He's not ready, I can't see why people want throw him into it yet.

Yeah he'll get there.

It's a fine line between running these kids ragged to get their tanks up, while maintaining adequate muscle mass and expecting them to eat up to 6 meals a day - good meals, not the easy option of delicious delicious garbage - to fuel the extraordinary amounts of calories they're burning.

By around this time next year he should be cherry ripe if he can progress with his form.

cj_09

Premiership Player
Oct 14, 2012
Probably out prospecting for gold.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle United
I was definitely happy when we picked him up, as you could just see he had something to offer.

Another pre season or two and he'll be starting to push for a spot in the seniors.

Back