List Mgmt. Pick 56 - Dougal Howard 199cm KPF (err KPD) ... maybe KPF

As I wrote in the chairman Koch thread - Sunrise or the Kochie family annual country camper van trip will soon be appearing in Wagga and Canberra I suspect.

#PH408

Last edited:
"Mum even received a phone call off one of the other player's mums," he said. "It just seems to be an unreal place to be apart of.

I reckon its one of Mrs Boak, Mrs Ebert or Mrs Wines.

#PH408

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Having just watched most of the first half action from the rd4 and rd 10 Nth Ballarat vs Murray matches this year, the thing that stood out about Howard is his pace, agility and clean hands below his knees. He seemed to be used as a roaming tall forward and 2nd/3rd ruck option, rather than the key forward. I can't say I saw him take any contested marks or overhead marks on the lead, but it was noticeable that he has good second efforts and is bloody quick at latching onto the loose ground ball and running away from similarly sized opponents. His ruckwork was pretty ordinary but he was going up against bigger opponents in the vision I saw. He is certainly more like Westhoff in his physique, speed and agility than I had expected.

Sep 8, 2014
Look behind you!
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings, Oakland Raiders

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
"Mum even received a phone call off one of the other player's mums," he said. "It just seems to be an unreal place to be apart of.

I reckon its one of Mrs Boak, Mrs Ebert or Mrs Wines.

#PH408
Hasn't Broady's mum been quoted as one of the "active" mums as well in the past?

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
B Jason Wild (cwood) Brad Seymour (SS) Matt Suckling (H)
HB Paul Hawke (cwood,SS) Jason Mooney (SS,G) Brett Scott (SS)
C Greg Smith (SS) David Murphy (SS) John Pitura (SM/fitz)
HF Neville Miller (SS) Wayne Carey (NM) Harry Lampe (SM)
F Cam Mooney (G) Bill Mohr (STK) Geoff Kingston (SA)
R Orren Stephenson (G) Paul Kelly (SS) C Colin Hounsell (SS)
IC James Byrne (A) Bryce Campbell (A) Matthew Lloyd (SS)

The most obvious of this lot would be Matt Suckling, Wayne Carey, Geoff Kingston(although not AFL), Paul Kelly and Matthew Lloyd. Although I get the idea that you were asking a rhetorical question, particularly as your name is theDuckFarmer.
I am sure Ford would remember Geoff Kingston,very good footballer in his day i think played with West Torrens?

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
Cripps comments are significant. Howard is 199cm not 195cm and we recruited him as a project player to play second ruck / key forward. I think we are trying to develop a ruckman.

Selection No.56 – Dougal Howard (Murray Bushrangers)

Jason Cripps says: He's 199cm, he's got speed, he's quite aggressive in the way he plays and he can get off his man. He's a project player, but he's shown that he can potentially play a second ruck/key forward role.
Where is this quote from?

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Last edited:
I am sure Ford would remember Geoff Kingston,very good footballer in his day i think played with West Torrens?

He's a bit before my time but yes he played full forward for West Torrens and SA - was an All Australian in 1961 and topped the sanfl goalkicking that year. Probably never quite recaptured that form due to injury but still had a successful career of 130 games and over 300 goals.

Went on to become a well-known journalist with the Advertiser.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
It does make a world of difference whether he is 199cm or 195cm. I hope Cripps and Inside Football are right.

Elite speed at that height makes for a very exciting package and raises an interesting issue. Reece McKenzie is 198cm I think and did the 20m sprint a fraction quicker than Dougal. McKenzie has a better football CV. But Dougal is an elite 100 m runner.

My point is, the 20m sprint was important when leading forwards wanted to get space between them and their opponent or when midfielders wanted to burst from packs but now when the spread is the most important aspect of attack, it's more important to be quick at 100 m than quick at 20m. The 20m test is outdated.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Got a nice leg on him judging by the highlights package, can give them a roost, that's what i like to see from a key forward.

His combine height is listed as 198.8 so its good to know he's a bit taller than expected.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
10523863_10152609174593882_8670732807519475505_n.jpg

Back