Toast Pick 56 - Welcome to Hawthorn, James Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

Good selection. 3 players who could be forward/outside mids. Club putting their faith in Wanganeen and Hallahan then to earn a spot in the engine room.

JAMES SICILY

James-Sicily.jpg

Height: 185cms
Weight: 76kgs
Team/Club: Vic Country/Western Jets/Keilor JFC
Position: Winger/Midfielder/Utility
Player Comparison: Nat Fyfe
Draft Range: 20-30
Strengths

Strong hands, elite mark, great goal sense, big engine, very evasive, offers x-factor, low centre of gravity, good footy brain, reads the ball well, can play a variety of roles, two-way runner, athletic, ball winner, knows his running patters, elite kick.
Weaknesses

Very slight bodied, very much in the mould of Nat Fyfe when drafted. Will need to add some muscle to his frame.
http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-james-sicily/

Good selection. 3 players who could be forward/outside mids. Club putting their faith in Wanganeen and Hallahan then to earn a spot in the engine room.

Do you mean Woodward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A late pick in a weak draft is always going to be a gamble I guess, but if you watch the highlights package the kid can sure take a grab. Welcome to the club and good luck.

This is a good get. Strong mark, evasive and a good football brain. The only thing he needs is to bulk up. That being said, I don't think we're exactly recruiting for players to have an instant impact next year (except maybe for Garlett). If he works hard at it. I think Sicily could be a real find and could surprise a few in a couple of years. :thumbsu:

“We were after midfielders, so two of them certainly filled that need but James at a high half forward was all about talent – we just though he was the most talented player at that pick.” - Graham Wright

This is a good get. Strong mark, evasive and a good football brain. The only thing he needs is to bulk up. That being said, I don't think we're exactly recruiting for players to have an instant impact next year (except maybe for Garlett). If he works hard at it. I think Sicily could be a real find and could surprise a few in a couple of years. :thumbsu:
I did not pay too much attention before he was picked, but his clip is very impressive. He can take really strong marks. He looks like Bruest II, Garlett, rioli II, I take it they can take turns swapping between midfield and fwd line. I was expecting Tsitas, Templeton, Bourne (people saying he is our next captain, similaries with Hodge, don't think he even got picked up), but his clips is very impressive, mark after mark.

While he is 18 going 19 he looks like a pup. Plenty of time for him to grow into his 186cm. I recon he will add an inch or two and end up very useful when he fills out. From the clip I saw he reads the ball in the air very well, takes one grab marks and is a decent kick. He may need to work on his left foot if he is to play in our team!

I did not pay too much attention before he was picked, but his clip is very impressive. He can take really strong marks. He looks like Bruest II, Garlett, rioli II, I take it they can take turns swapping between midfield and fwd line. I was expecting Tsitas, Templeton, Bourne (people saying he is our next captain, similaries with Hodge, don't think he even got picked up), but his clips is very impressive, mark after mark.

Totally agree with the bolded bit. Contested marks have been a weakness of ours in the past. McEvoy can really clunk some big contested marks and this young Sicily can also. Happy we got 3 really quick guys who can find the ball and deliver well. Congrats to Wrighty. Setting us up for the future.

The Hawks were also delighted - and a little surprised - to be able to secure midfielder Billy Hartung with their first selection at pick 24 after he had been touted to go earlier.

It had considered James Sicily with pick 38 used on Garlett, but was pleased he was still available at pick 56.

"We were rapt with Billy Hartung with pick 24. (He) has such a big engine, he is quick and he uses the ball well," Wright said.

"We think he will complement our group well. We rated James (Sicily) highly. He is an exciting football talent, is very strong overhead and plays that high half forward role."

Interesting comment. Implies that even had we gambled and left Garlett for #56 they would have gone with Sicily at #38.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back