Toast Pick 56 - Welcome to Hawthorn, James Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I keep wondering too. I don;t know whether you need a traditional CHF any more though - you just pick a game plan around what you have.

Would love to see Sicily and Gunner stand across half forward together with Rough, Rioli and Breust all in the forward 50 too.

At 186cm he's way too short for a traditional CHF role. Half forward line might look like Sicly, Gunston, Breust.

Think he might be closer to 190cm now. He just turned 20 so is still growing....Way too light at this stage to even contemplate him holding down a key forward post, much in the same vein as O'Brien.

Played 20 senior games for Box Hill last year for a return of 20 goals, which is a superb effort for a 19 year old kid & highlights his resilience already.....Looks the goods & has a Great set of dukes on him....Be nice to see the kid surprise & break into the 22 this year....Why not!

Bump. Biggish call, but from the glimpses I've seen I reckon he'll be in the 22 by the end of the season.

As much as I rate him and want him to succeed, precisely who could Sicily push out of the best 22 by the end of the season? Gunston? Roughead??

At 186cm he's way too short for a traditional CHF role. Half forward line might look like Sicly, Gunston, Breust.

He's a lot taller than that. Saw him next to O'Brien who is listed as 193 cm and looks only marginally shorter.

As much as I rate him and want him to succeed, precisely who could Sicily push out of the best 22 by the end of the season? Gunston? Roughead??

My question about him being CHF was a long term thing, but on pushing into the 22 at this stage, I'm not sure it has to be like for like. As an athletic mobile flanker, third tall, perhaps he changes up the dynamic a bit, Breust spends more time in the guts and a midfielder gets squeezed out of the side.

Sorry, I know that doesn't come up with a specific name that he replaces, and I know it is a speculative call that he'll push into the 22. In this particular scenario the player he replaces is a mid that has a form slump.

My question about him being CHF was a long term thing, but on pushing into the 22 at this stage, I'm not sure it has to be like for like. As an athletic mobile flanker, third tall, perhaps he changes up the dynamic a bit, Breust spends more time in the guts and a midfielder gets squeezed out of the side.

Sorry, I know that doesn't come up with a specific name that he replaces, and I know it is a speculative call that he'll push into the 22. In this particular scenario the player he replaces is a mid that has a form slump.

Fair point. I am guilty of looking at the current forward 6 and being unimaginative about all the other possibilities out there.

Your suggestion perhaps puts him in the frame with guys like Whitey, Duryea, Anderson, Poppy, Suckers... Outside the best 15 or so, but having an important role or pushing for one. Development pending of course! Seems fair enough.

Fair point. I am guilty of looking at the current forward 6 and being unimaginative about all the other possibilities out there.

Your suggestion perhaps puts him in the frame with guys like Whitey, Duryea, Anderson, Poppy, Suckers... Outside the best 15 or so, but having an important role or pushing for one. Development pending of course! Seems fair enough.

Yeah when looking at the team at the moment I'm concious that history shows there is always turnover and change, hence why I feel the Hartungs and Sicilys might well be regulars by seasons end. But then for that to be the case you start throwing around scenarios where dual premiership players are the ones making way and it just seems a strange proposition. Great times for our club and the depth we have. Hope I'm not overestimating it.

He's a lot taller than that. Saw him next to O'Brien who is listed as 193 cm and looks only marginally shorter.

Spot on.. He has grown significantly in the last 18 months, I reckon we will get a kid who is 194sh by the time he matures. Love him!

Saw him very close at the Family day and yeah, he is taller than Isaac who is 188! This kid gonna be something IMO. As for CHF, well Hawks played without one last year and we rotate players within a 40 meter arc when defending so that when we break quickly , the wide Hf's run inside out into 50 and be a more central target, hence our accuracy improving out of sight the past two years! Think more along the lines of Soccer! So we don't really need lumps covering the CHF position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah when looking at the team at the moment I'm concious that history shows there is always turnover and change, hence why I feel the Hartungs and Sicilys might well be regulars by seasons end. But then for that to be the case you start throwing around scenarios where dual premiership players are the ones making way and it just seems a strange proposition. Great times for our club and the depth we have. Hope I'm not overestimating it.

You have a good point there. Maybe trade to other clubs for top 10 draft picks. We may even get to a stage where we have a lot more single-premiership players so that as club we have a longer period of contending for the title as opposed to just being in the finals. Easier said than done, I suppose.

Those injured or out of form. If he is travelling better than a big name player, then he gets a game. Reputation only gets you so far at the HFC... or it should.

Hope they don't totally discourage it. If he puts on a bit of bulk and strength, he will be at the forefront of unsociable Hawks (once again!):).

He batted well above his weight for his size last year.

The kid wears his heart on his sleeve. Have read elsewhere that when playing TAC cup he'd take losses quite personally, and it was somewhat concerning for recruiters and scouts the level of emotion that he showed at times.

Sicily is your floating marking HF - can see him cutting across packs like Peter Curran, Hird, Derm, R O'Keefe used to do.
Clarko likes to have his spare ruckman at CHF so that spot is covered the next few years with Hale/Cegs/BB.
Doubt he will be in out finals side but should be first in if any forwards are out and play 5 - 10 games.

Sicily is your floating marking HF - can see him cutting across packs like Peter Curran, Hird, Derm, R O'Keefe used to do.
Clarko likes to have his spare ruckman at CHF so that spot is covered the next few years with Hale/Cegs/BB.
Doubt he will be in out finals side but should be first in if any forwards are out and play 5 - 10 games.

Do you think he could make the move to midfield eventually, similar to Fyfe.

Sounds like he shares a lot of the same qualities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back