Matthew Scharenberg

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still has a way to go yet. Is avoiding kicking on the leg that had the knee reco still.
But getting a little more confident & a little more involved with each outing.

He looked to be conscious of his knee still when watching him Sunday.

Usually young guys are pretty quick to state their allegiance to their clubs when discussing contracts, a bit concerning that he was vague when asked.

He looked to be conscious of his knee still when watching him Sunday.

Usually young guys are pretty quick to state their allegiance to their clubs when discussing contracts, a bit concerning that he was vague when asked.
Yeah, even a "Im loving my time in Melbourne" wouldn't of gone a stray.

Its not a great sign. Making me nervous...

We would have to assume that the club has tried to start negotiations with him. I would think that all required out of contract players would have had some discussions with the club. To answer a direct question about his contract with the below is a worry. After using pick 6 and then having to invest in him for 2 years to get him right, to have him decide to leave would be a pretty low act.

"To be honest it's been well in the back of my mind," he says.

"It's all been about getting my knee right and now that I've finally done that I'm just excited to be back playing and hopefully (I can) play senior footy and go from there."

We would have to assume that the club has tried to start negotiations with him. I would think that all required out of contract players would have had some discussions with the club. To answer a direct question about his contract with the below is a worry. After using pick 6 and then having to invest in him for 2 years to get him right, to have him decide to leave would be a pretty low act.

Manager would be the one advising on waiting to get maximum deal.

Manager would be the one advising on waiting to get maximum deal.
I'm jaded as I've been burnt before....

please sign Matthew

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe just maybe Shazza is a realist and knows his career right now is in no man's land so there is no point discussing contracts until he finds his feet, no pun intended.

Early days mate only just the start of the footy year, he is a pretty focused individual going by all the interviews and comments from his team mates.
I'd actaully take his comments as genuine.
He has needed to firstly get back on field and then to be playing some consistant footy before he can worry about getting a contract extension that they don't need to get sorted for a few months yet.

There is nothing indicating that he is unhappy at Collingwood other then working through 18 months of injury.
I think he will stay and repay the clubs faith in him.

Was an article in the Hun a while back saying that Pies were committed to offering him another contract but that he/his manager had put off discussions until after he started playing again. Seems like they still haven't started. I feel like he'd have said something positive by now if he were thinking of staying.

Was an article in the Hun a while back saying that Pies were committed to offering him another contract but that he/his manager had put off discussions until after he started playing again. Seems like they still haven't started. I feel like he'd have said something positive by now if he were thinking of staying.

Do you think it would be in his best interest when at the time he was rehabbing his knee and dollar wise would be bargaining from a low base or wait till he had got his career back on track and had some exposure to bargain with?

There are rumours the Crows have offered him and Aish decent deals so maybe im wrong but I het the feeling he will stay a pie long term.

Last edited:
You could be concerned about him not signing a new contract but wouldn't the same concern apply to Freeman, but because he's Victorian it doesn't really make you uneasy.

Fair chance both players want to play some footy, to be able to negotiate a better deal. It's as likely as he's considering heading to SA.

some people just always post negative things :rolleyes::rolleyes:

From what I am seeing at VFL level there is a lot to be excited about, but he is also a long way off senior football.

He is off the pace and trailing his man in, and his trademark composure with the ball isn't entirely there yet.

But his marking is good and he can definitely kick a footy. He just doesn't look match fit Nd far from his top pace. That's to be expected after 2 very serious injuries. I'm pleased with his progression.

Obviously I am also nervous about him signing, but I also agree that he should keep working on playing more footy before negotiating a contract. It's not the right time to do it right now.

Everyone says he is an absolute gun, probably he is but maybe he isn't
Screen%20Shot%202014-01-06%20at%202.52.00%20PM.png

After using pick 6 and then having to invest in him for 2 years to get him right, to have him decide to leave would be a pretty low act.

It would not be a low act. He had no choice in being recruited by us and has every right to decide whether he stays with us. The club made its choice and has protected its investment by getting him fit. That is in our interest as it will maximise any compensation we get in any trade.

I would be disappointed if he leaves, but I would not consider it a low act. To me the low act is treating players like slaves to be purchased and sold through a draft and trade system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back