Toast Pick #60: Welcome to Carlton Clem Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah probably not meant in the fact hes a carbon copy, so much what he brings to the table in his own right. Hes going to make opposition jumpy and perceived pressure means hacked disposals which means turnovers. What Eddie did in our forward line hes going to do probably around the backline. MM had success with Leon Davis in that role and I dont think Mick has changed so much that we cant expect him to play a similar role.

Not sure how much we'll see of Smith in the defensive half, at least early on in his career.

He did spend a fair bit of time down back in junior football but I think we're more likely to see him play predominantly in the forward half.

With Eddie and Jeffy departing the club over the past few years we've gone from having a whole range of crumbing options to now having a real scarcity in that position.

Tutt will fill the void to an extent but he's more a high half forward capable of pushing into the midfield rather than a crumbing forward in the traditional sense.

Other than Tutt our options are few and far between with Clem probably the next best option as that forward pocket capable of really putting a lot of pressure on opposition defenses.

Not sure how much we'll see of Smith in the defensive half, at least early on in his career.

He did spend a fair bit of time down back in junior football but I think we're more likely to see him play predominantly in the forward half.

With Eddie and Jeffy departing the club over the past few years we've gone from having a whole range of crumbing options to now having a real scarcity in that position.

Tutt will fill the void to an extent but he's more a high half forward capable of pushing into the midfield rather than a crumbing forward in the traditional sense.

Other than Tutt our options are few and far between with Clem probably the next best option as that forward pocket capable of really putting a lot of pressure on opposition defenses.
I dunno man, MM never really played that out and out crumbing type in the forward line that I can recall. No doubt game plans change, but I cant think of a dedicated forward pocket like and Eddie or Garlett that MM may have used at Collingwood unless im wrong. I know he used Leon Davis back because they persisted with him forward and it didnt work and even playing back people were critical of his output but MM defended him saying he was doing his job. Probably Krakeour is the only forward pocket type but also rotated through the middle. Will be very interested to see how we play him. Wont be until 2016 im thinking. He might get 4 or 5 games this year if I was to hazard a guess.

Btw, Menzel id say is a good crumbing option. We want more out of him and he will start to spend some time rotating through the middle, but we only need another half a player for that role. Maybe Tutt is that other half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back