Toast Pick #60: Welcome to Carlton Clem Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Just had another watch of his highlights ... not as good a kick as I thought!

Sprayed a few
That's why he got to us.

He had a great underage year. Hopefully his kicking is fixable. Hitting a target is fast becoming a non negotiable.

That said I'm stoked to get him. Love the hardness at the ball.

Really like the look of Smith who appears to be uncompromising in his attack on the ball.

We've lost a fair bit recently by way of attack on the contest and that may continue in the coming years so it's important we replenish our stocks with younger players who can take over in that regard.

Smith appears to have flexibility in his game which could allow him to play a role at either end of the park.

From memory he's been playing senior football for a while already so may be able to make the step up to senior AFL level quicker than many drafted last night. Wouldn't surprise to see him feature at senior level next year with the side needing to add some pace and excitement.

For more information about Clem head over to his newly created player thread:

Clem Smith

This could turn out a bit like Eddie slipping through the draft and on to the PSD because of fitness issues.

Looks a rough diamond with plenty of sparkle. Sure is as hard as one. with a bit of a polish could have a priceless jewel here.

Wow what prose. Tom Winton eat your heart out.

Very similar player to Byron.
Really surprised he slipped all the way to us.

I remember around champs time there was a lot of hype around him (probably based on his 2013) but his champs (apart from the last game) was a real let down. The attention was on Smith & Pickett whilst Garlett was going under the radar (not by you or me :p). Sounds like teams were scared off by this & his poor conditioning. But clearly the talent is there if he made AA in 2013 as 17 yr old and how can you not love him in that interview.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Byron is one of my favourite non Carlton players of all time
Jesus could that guy hit
Put the fear in grown men I am sure
And could run too
*ing gun

I remember around champs time there was a lot of hype around him (probably based on his 2013) but his champs (apart from the last game) was a real let down. The attention was on Smith & Pickett whilst Garlett was going under the radar (not by you or me :p). Sounds like teams were scared off by this & his poor conditioning. But clearly the talent is there if he made AA in 2013 as 17 yr old and how can you not love him in that interview.

There was a time earlier in the year when both Smith and Pickett were being talked about as top 15 selections.
Obviously i'm biased, but I really believe we have one of the steals of the draft on our hands here.

This could turn out a bit like Eddie slipping through the draft and on to the PSD because of fitness issues.

Looks a rough diamond with plenty of sparkle. Sure is as hard as one. with a bit of a polish could have a priceless jewel here.

Wow what prose. Tom Winton eat your heart out.
Both wrong. It's Tim.

There was a time earlier in the year when both Smith and Pickett were being talked about as top 15 selections.
Obviously i'm biased, but I really believe we have one of the steals of the draft on our hands here.

Can't talk for Rogers but I'd say he was buoyed for Smith being left behind to this pick.
He looked as though he wanted to read the name out before his turn.

Guys may have known that Boekhorst & DVR were going to be there for selection but maybe weren't ready for Clem.

I think he'll look a million times better in the navy blue then he ever could in the red and black.

It's a given.

Only people who look good in sashes are mayors and the guys who used to sell tonics from the back of a wagon...

Welcome Clem Smith.

Check out this article Emma Quayle wrote about Clem.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...und-a-place-to-call-home-20141123-11s6k4.html

This bloke looks like a great get for us. I am looking forward to seeing Clem play for us next year.

Wow - thanks for the link.
I have just realized that I know the family, although I haven't seen them since the mid part of the 00's -hence I didn't know about the link between them and Clem.
Mick is a dyed in the wool Roos man, as you can see by the pics. Mick's dad Ted is a Carlton man through and through.
Mick is staunch and is a no nonsense type of guy. We both grew up in hard areas back in the '80's.
I have no doubt that Clem will work his arse off for his chance at an AFL career.
I never thought that he would have dropped so far down the order. Maybe some clubs were scared off by his upbringing? Who knows?
I have no doubt that it will work to his advantage.
Welcome to the Carlton Football Club Clem.
We have picked up a beauty!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back