Toast Pick #60: Welcome to Carlton Clem Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

"One day I just hit someone....and really liked it."

What a quote. :thumbsu:

I think we need to be careful with his development here.

I feel he needs probably 5 or 6 games in the Northern Blues hitting people before he moves into the seniors.

Start off slowly - hit a couple of small guys first and maybe a runner or two and then change it up to a few of the key position players.

How on earth did Clem Smith fall to pick 60? Jesus... awesome pick up by you blokes. I was positive he'd be gone in the top 30 picks.

How on earth did Clem Smith fall to pick 60? Jesus... awesome pick up by you blokes. I was positive he'd be gone in the top 30 picks.

Your comment appeals to me, but please don't ever bring that avatar around here again.

Is creepy...

With Mitch Robinson leaving, having Smith fall to our pick is a godsend. Will add some match needed physicality. We've lost a few guys lately who can impact a game with just a few acts or possessions in Robinson, Waite, Garlett and Betts. Smith is a similar player in that regard, could see him playing small forward for us similar to the match winning role he played against Vic Country in the final U18 champs game this year.

Just caught up with the videos of him tonight.
I like his confidence and he looks like he can play.
In fact I watched all of the videos of these four new draftees.
I must say despite Smith being picked 60 I am most confident in him. He off the 4 guys on first viewing, impresses me the most as likely to make it.
The others have some attributes to like but I don't feel like I seen or heard enough from them to be super confident.

This guy looks the goods. Both physically capable and skills to match. Losing Robbo and Waitey they both liked the physical contact of the game, we need someone like this guy fill a bit of that loss.
The best part for me is he played WAFL this past season so I suspect he could play seniors with a really good pre-season.

What even is a Clem?!

Many moons ago, my year 10 English teacher used to throw random words at us and ask us to put it in a sentence.

One day the word was inclement. My mate came up with 'oh my darling, oh my darling, oh my darling Inclementine'.

Teacher's reaction suggested he hadn't nailed that one...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like he gives away a couple frees per match on average. As long as they are targeted and not momentum killers I can live with that.

Clem could end up a beauty, came into this year and underwhelmed a little at national champs but had a solid sarson in the WAFL, should be ready to play round 1 if we can get him fit. I hope we have him living with someone who sets a good example for him and eats and does everything right off the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back