Toast Pick #63: Welcome to Carlton Jayden Foster

Remove this Banner Ad

If we take Keitel as a rookie I think we have genuine reason to start getting excited about our young KPP stocks.
Another year in the VFL for Watson to finish of his conversion to a KPF... and then he can fight it out with Jones for the third tall forward job. KJ to recover from his ankle stress spot injury and generally take things easy next year with the intention of him coming good the year after and taking over from Jamo as our FB. And then we have Foster and Keitel slowly developing in the Bullants line up as KPP.

I would be happy as Larry with that sort of development work and our KPP stocks.

Any insight into why the Dogs did not F-S him?

Was kicking a lot of goals in the under 18s as an overage player this year. That foot injury last year really cost him unfortunately. Other than that he's a bit undersized and one-dimensional. Worth a crack as a late pick though, if he is a bust then it's no real disaster.

We didn't want to commit to him and thought he'd be available in the rookie draft.

Welcome to the proud Navy Blues Jay can't wait to see you in action&here's hoping to some real great exciting times ahead:).

Suspected we'd pick a mature tall here and that's the way it panned out.

Can't say I know much of Jayden but it appears he had a very good year in 2014 averaging over 3 goals per game at TAC Cup level.

Has some really good size to him and reportedly likes to crash the packs and is a good kick so he'll immediately add some much needed depth to our tall stocks.

Wouldn't be expecting too much from him especially early on but he's certainly found his way to a club where he could be of some value at senior level as early as year one.

Surprised the Dogs didn't move on him last year or this year but he now has a wonderful opportunity to prove them wrong.

Welcome to Carlton :thumbsu:

To read more about Jayden make your way to his player thread:

Jayden Foster

Seems the baggers have got a penchant for Doggy discards at the moment! Wish him and Carlton all the best. Seems like a sort of Brisbane style trade/draft period when Voss took over at Carlton this year, a lot of mature agers, etc.

Is there a consensus about what sort of time frame you guys are playing at regarding a premiership window?

I really wanted to rookie Jayden but wouldn't have wanted to use pick 46, for some reason people are bagging us for not doing it, when in reality each pick between 47-63 could have gotten him cheaper then us. If we made a mistake all these other clubs made a bigger one!

Seems the baggers have got a penchant for Doggy discards at the moment! Wish him and Carlton all the best. Seems like a sort of Brisbane style trade/draft period when Voss took over at Carlton this year, a lot of mature agers, etc.

This D&T period we've picked up the following players:

Kristian Jaksch
Mark Whiley
Liam Jones
Blaine Boekhorst
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow
Clem Smith
Jayden Foster
Jason Tutt

During that D&T period, Brisbane picked up the following players:

Andrew Raines
Brent Staker
Amon Buchanan
Xavier Clarke
Brendan Fevola
Callum Bartlett
Ryan Harwood
Jesse O'Brien
Bryce Retzlaff
Matt Maguire

What we've done is not in the same ball-park as what Brisbane did that year. Brisbane were going for immediate premiership glory, no doubt about it. We've seen an issue with the age profile of our list and gone about rectifying that in a much smarter way.

Lots of AFL clubs believe the Dogs will regret not nominating him for father son.

Boyd and his team of midget$ will bring the Doggies their cup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This D&T period we've picked up the following players:

Kristian Jaksch
Mark Whiley
Liam Jones
Blaine Boekhorst
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow
Clem Smith
Jayden Foster
Jason Tutt

During that D&T period, Brisbane picked up the following players:

Andrew Raines
Brent Staker
Amon Buchanan
Xavier Clarke
Brendan Fevola
Callum Bartlett
Ryan Harwood
Jesse O'Brien
Bryce Retzlaff
Matt Maguire

What we've done is not in the same ball-park as what Brisbane did that year. Brisbane were going for immediate premiership glory, no doubt about it. We've seen an issue with the age profile of our list and gone about rectifying that in a much smarter way.

Yeh fair play, but you sort of get where I am coming from.

Freo would've taken him with their next pick.

Welcome back Clay, we missed your stalking.

hey was just a question. Still interesting that you say other AFL clubs believe we'll regret not picking him, yet he went for a pick in the 60s to Carlton and might have been picked up by another club after them, still in the 60s.

I'm sure you can see the fault in your logic

Rogers said he'll play a Jack Gunston role for us.

Runs a 3 flat which for 196cm player - impressive.

Again there were 62 people taken in front of him. It will not only be the Dogs who will be kicking themselves if he turns out a star.

hey was just a question. Still interesting that you say other AFL clubs believe we'll regret not picking him, yet he went for a pick in the 60s to Carlton and might have been picked up by another club after them, still in the 60s.

I'm sure you can see the fault in your logic

The regret part is likely due to the fact that outside of the messiah, you're a little bereft of quality KPPs (I like Roughead though). So teams believe are you really in the position to be turning away good KPP prospects.

Again there were 62 people taken in front of him. It will not only be the Dogs who will be kicking themselves if he turns out a star.

Don't shoot the messenger :p

But in trying to think of why they would believe that I'd say it's to do with the fact you could have got him far cheaper and outside of Boyd & Roughead, you wouldn't exactly be raving about any other of your KPPs.

The regret part is likely due to the fact that outside of the messiah, you're a little bereft of quality KPPs (I like Roughead though). So teams believe are you really in the position to be turning away good KPP prospects.

The operating word there is good KPP prospects. We didn't rate Foster. Clearly nobody really did, pick 63 is stab in the dark sort of territory. Foster would be no better prospect than Jack Redpath - who was right up there in the VFL goalkicking for us this year and is already on our list.

I'm sensing a bit of hostility from you towards the Bulldogs and Boyd. I'll stop now just so you can chill and enjoy your Frothy :)

The operating word there is good KPP prospects. We didn't rate Foster. Clearly nobody really did, pick 63 is stab in the dark sort of territory. Foster would be no better prospect than Jack Redpath - who was right up there in the VFL goalkicking for us this year and is already on our list.

I'm sensing a bit of hostility from you towards the Bulldogs and Boyd. I'll stop now just so you can chill and enjoy your Frothy :)

Go through my post history and you'll see I believe not getting Boyd is a blessing in disguise and you'll only understand why in 12 months time. Promise to come back so we can finish this chat? :)

But I will say now - if you think Redpath & Foster are similar players in terms of style, then I'm not too concerned about your senses.

Yeh fair play, but you sort of get where I am coming from.

Not really as the situations are completely different.

Voss and Brisbane were after immediate glory and seemed to lose sight of the potential long-term ramifications of their activity.

Carlton identified an age imbalance and went about starting to correct that. Each and every player we've picked up could be around for a long time - the same could not be said for Brisbane's recruits of that year.

You recruited a bunch of castaways that were not wanted at their current club

Let's not re-write history.

Not one of the players we recruited from another club this off-season was "not wanted at their current club".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back