Remove this Banner Ad

7_gault-corey-2011a.jpg

• Former club:Swan Districts/Mazenod Junior
  • DOB:28/10/1992
  • Height:198cm
  • Weight:87kg
  • Position:Ruckman
Player assessment

Represented WA at the NAB AFL U18 Championships. He played in three games, averaging 10 hit-outs, after injury had restricted his availability. He is a naturally a very athletic player who is still developing his craft in the ruck.

I like this pick and he can play the L Brown Role

Re: Welcome to Collingwood Corey Gault

Too many ruckman? Or do you think it's just in case our other ruckman turn out to be failures?

Too many ruckman? Or do you think it's just in case our other ruckman turn out to be failures?

198cm I am thinking more of a 2nd Ruckman who can Play Key Postion

Corey Gault- Goes forward, plays ruck and doesn't play too dissimilar to Jim Stynes. What Derek hine said about him.

Does the fact we're picking a ruckman tell you the club doesn't have a lot of faith in the current crop? Seems like we're taking a shotgun approach with ceglar/wood/witts/gault, hoping one will come good by the time Jolly is past it.

More forward then ruck hopefully

Looks pretty mobile and strong over head. Good things!

could just be me, but my first thought when i saw the photo was that he reminds me of this guy

__Guy_Richards_135px.jpg

thoughts? on second look i could be wrong...

EDIT: could just be the adam's apple

I'm pretty surprised we went with another ruckman!

Apparently plays his best footy as a full forward then as a ruckman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At 198cm you would think he's more of the second ruck type long term, and will spend most of his development time up forward in the VFL.

You can never have enough height IMO, because plenty of KP prospects don't work out anyway.

Welcome to Collingwood Corey, wonder whether he was around the Swan Districts system when Krak was there, might help him settle in a bit, and we also have Ugle from SD.

We love our WA boys, always have.:thumbsu:

Good luck trying to get ruck minutes for Witts, Ceglar, Macnamara, maybe Keeffe, and now Gault in the VFL...

Is it just me, or did we just recruit an undersized ruckman?

He looks very athletic in that video. I'm not complaining just a bit surprised.

Thats good to hear though.

Looking at his bio and his write up in Inside Football I'm thinking the club is looking at him in the Leigh Brown role.

Inside Footy has the coach saying he pinch hits in the ruck and that he's come on this year quiet significantly. I'd say this is a bit of a project player pick with the club primarily taking him for his athletic potential.

Hope you're right opti! Grabbing two players of roughly ruckman size within 2 picks with 4 ruckmen already at the club (exluding Keefe) doesn't sit well with me, especially when a bloke like Horsley was still available.

Gault just screams Tobias Thoolen to me i.e not quite big enough to be a first choice ruckman, but also not quite suited to a KPF post. However good luck to the kid and I genuinely hope he can go somewhere near what Dave is claiming him to be (the replacement for Brown).

He's not undersized if he can time his leap; he's essentially Jolly's height. Actually looks pretty decent in that clip and if you can ignore the facial resemblance to Guy Richards then I think there's plenty of reason to be positive. I like the idea of having a bunch of ruck prospects on the list, so we can have our own Magpie rucking Fight Club. May the best man win.

Good luck trying to get ruck minutes for Witts, Ceglar, Macnamara, maybe Keeffe, and now Gault in the VFL...

Is it just me, or did we just recruit an undersized ruckman?

Witts - 1st ruck, or FF if Wood is in VFL
Ceglar - CHF is where he spends most of his time, bit of a run in the ruck but not much
Macnamara - wing or off the flanks for Shae-Mac
Keefe - CHB, isn't a ruck
Gault - FF from the sound of things

He's not undersized if he can time his leap; he's essentially Jolly's height. Actually looks pretty decent in that clip and if you can ignore the facial resemblance to Guy Richards then I think there's plenty of reason to be positive. I like the idea of having a bunch of ruck prospects on the list, so we can have our own Magpie rucking Fight Club. May the best man win.

I suppose it does also depend as much on wingspan as height and I especially don't want to seem critical of the kid.

I'm just more of the opinion that our list is fairly well balanced atm so I'd have gone best available. Whether or not he was best available is up in the air, my opinion is that he wasn't, however that's why its in Hine we trust not in Scodog we trust :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back