Pick 65: Corey Gault. Welcome to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim Allen or Ben Moloney over him.
When we played Casey, Hogan had 4 on him at half time & was dominating him. Tim Allen went to Hogan after half time & shut him down. Kept him goaless if i remember correctly. I know which player I would rookie.

Do we just reuse this thread when we rookie him o_O

God no.
Dave gets to start a new thread titled, "Welcome to the Collingwood Rookie list Corey Gault."

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
When we played Casey, Hogan had 4 on him at half time & was dominating him. Tim Allen went to Hogan after half time & shut him down. Kept him goaless if i remember correctly. I know which player I would rookie.
Id be ok with Tim the tool man getting a rookie spot.

Number 10

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Beast in the midfield as well. A really good player to watch when he is on.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Harsh. Gault has played all his junior footy as a midfielder / forward and was only thrown into defence due to a lack of alternatives. Certainly wasn't his best game but Hogan is elite and has had the better of a lot more highly credentialed apponents than Gault this year. I wouldn't mind Allan getting an opportunity but still consider Gault has a lot of upside. Time will tell.

Harsh. Gault has played all his junior footy as a midfielder / forward and was only thrown into defence due to a lack of alternatives. Certainly wasn't his best game but Hogan is elite and has had the better of a lot more highly credentialed apponents than Gault this year. I wouldn't mind Allan getting an opportunity but still consider Gault has a lot of upside. Time will tell.

You're entitled to your opinion. I just haven't seen anything from him at either end that suggests he will make the big step up to AFL. In my opinion he is still struggling at VFL level. He will need a hell of a lot of upside to progress to AFL ranks. The fact he has lost his place on the senior list doesn't bode well for him. Just my opinion. Not being harsh because I wish him well. I just don't like his chances of becoming a regular AFL player. I do go to a lot of VFL games. Sometimes prefer going than to the AFL games.

Wooljay

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2009
Omicron Persei 8
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
Conlon would be a good steal, the injuries he's had have mostly been 'freak' ones, not the kind you can imagine reoccurring. He's a good player and would be rated a lot higher if it weren't for having missed so much footy the last couple years.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
You're entitled to your opinion. I just haven't seen anything from him at either end that suggests he will make the big step up to AFL. In my opinion he is still struggling at VFL level. He will need a hell of a lot of upside to progress to AFL ranks. The fact he has lost his place on the senior list doesn't bode well for him. Just my opinion. Not being harsh because I wish him well. I just don't like his chances of becoming a regular AFL player. I do go to a lot of VFL games. Sometimes prefer going than to the AFL games.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I got to about 6-7 VFL games this year and while I agree with most posters that Gault didn't progress as expected in 2013 after showing some good signs in 2012, the kid is a 198cm mobile utility. He apparently grew 10cms in his final year of Colts footy so not even fully used to the frame he carries around.

Add to that that he seemed to play out of position a lot, primarily to cover the unavailability of prefered KPD types like Frost and Riddle, and that he apparently had some nasty niggling injuries that he carried throughout 2013, and I think he gets an opportunity at rookie level to justify his retention.

Conlon would be a good steal, the injuries he's had have mostly been 'freak' ones, not the kind you can imagine reoccurring. He's a good player and would be rated a lot higher if it weren't for having missed so much footy the last couple years.
I find it hard to believe he'll still be there at #65, but some of the draft pundits have him going through unclaimed so perhaps it's not as far-fetched as it seems?

Wooljay

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2009
Omicron Persei 8
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
I find it hard to believe he'll still be there at #65, but some of the draft pundits have him going through unclaimed so perhaps it's not as far-fetched as it seems?

Agreed, but if he is there at 65 and we grab him then it's daylight robbery. The kid can really play and he's had the shittest of luck with dumb injuries - iirc he dislocated his knee or shoulder playing basketball at school? Absolute rubbish luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 65 Goodbye Corey Gault

Hello Cameron Conlon

# 65 Collingwood
Cameron Conlon - Northern Knights / 198cm / 90kg / '95
I am very keen to see where he lands this year as I think the range could be high (ie 40 onwards). At his best he is unbeatable in the marking contest and has really good hands as he showed last year when he burst on the TAC scene as a bottom ager. He projects as a Kurt Tippett type who can go into the ruck but will mostly spend time fwd. His body work and positioning is good and he has no problems finishing. It is harder for these big blokes but at times I wonder if he isnt a bit inconsistent but that’s a bit harsh as the only form we really have is as a bottom ager so that’s pretty hard. Reason we haven’t seen much of him since is that he has had ongoing shoulder issues since mid last year and whilst all seems to be better now we haven’t seen him for a long time. That coupled with his injury prone shoulders will either see him go late ND, in the rookie or maybe even go back to TAC for a year.

Why and who else? I think the Pies will want a KPF or a ruck at some stage. I don’t rate the rucks this year and if Nankervis is gone then I would hold off for another year. Conlon is the best KPF prospect left and whilst injury concerns lets face it …its pick #65. Have a crack. Hourigan could be here and Spencer or Pearce could be to. Others would go are Wilson, Gibbons or Jacka. If Dayle Gartlett is available they would take him here.

It's no Guarantee we Pick Colon. Missing 2 years of footy would make it a Massive Risk to take.

I still think we will pass that Pick and use the Pick in the Rookie Draft

Aug 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's no Guarantee we Pick Colon. Missing 2 years of footy would make it a Massive Risk to take.

I still think we will pass that Pick and use the Pick in the Rookie Draft

We need to select someone with the 3rd pick, otherwise there would only be 37 players on the senior list. Also if the club is rookie listing Gault it would make no sense to delist him.

We need to select someone with the 3rd pick, otherwise there would only be 37 players on the senior list. Also if the club is rookie listing Gault it would make no sense to delist him.

Well we did that last season we had 36 Players on the Senior List. As long as you get to 38 Players before RD 1 of the Regular Season

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back