Pick 65: Corey Gault. Welcome to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Be interested to hear what you see in him that is AFL quality?

Didn't have a great 2013 but in 2012, of all the tall forwards we played, and there were a heap of them, Gault looked the most natural footballer of the lot, even more so than Ceglar. His ruckwork needed work but playing forward he instinctively did things and generally as you'd anticipate a midfielder would rather than a KP prospect, lead to the right spots and made good position, contested body work was generally good, could take a pack mark, disposal was efficient, agility was good.

Not saying he'll be an AFL star, just think he showed enough to generate optimism.

I keep harping back to firstly the 10cm growth spurt as a 17yo, and secondly, the reported injury niggles he played with/through in 2013. Still don't think he's mastered the transition from 188cm midfielder to 198cm key position prospect. And we'll never know the reality of the injuries he endured and the impact upon his 2013 performance.

I'd be more worried about his father managing half our list :eek:

I'd be even more worried if he takes over from Ed soon and I was the one who made the decision not to rookie list Jake.:cool:

Didn't have a great 2013 but in 2012, of all the tall forwards we played, and there were a heap of them, Gault looked the most natural footballer of the lot, even more so than Ceglar. His ruckwork needed work but playing forward he instinctively did things and generally as you'd anticipate a midfielder would rather than a KP prospect, lead to the right spots and made good position, contested body work was generally good, could take a pack mark, disposal was efficient, agility was good.

Not saying he'll be an AFL star, just think he showed enough to generate optimism.

I keep harping back to firstly the 10cm growth spurt as a 17yo, and secondly, the reported injury niggles he played with/through in 2013. Still don't think he's mastered the transition from 188cm midfielder to 198cm key position prospect. And we'll never know the reality of the injuries he endured and the impact upon his 2013 performance.

Fair enough.

Imo when I've watched in 2013, I thought his body positioning was horrid when going for marks or attempting a spoil, quite often found himself out of position and led to the ball. Didn't know about any injuries so maybe the club think he was restricted.

Collingwood's crammed rookie list has forced the club to overlook Jake Kelly, the teenage son of 1990 premiership defender and potential future president Craig Kelly.

The Magpies will make just one selection at Wednesday's rookie draft, redrafting the contracted Corey Gault after delisting him earlier this month to make room for an extra pick in the national draft.

The club had nominated Kelly as a possible father-son rookie at the start of October, and could have added the young midfield prospect automatically to its rookie list after he made it through last week's national draft had it wished to.

However, the club had already retained four rookies and will take a 39-player primary list into season 2014, meaning it has room only for one extra rookie, Gault.
Advertisement

Kelly was considered a borderline draft prospect before he was overlooked last week; he has played 10 games for the Oakleigh Chargers. But after improving throughout last season and testing well at last month's draft combine, he is a chance to be rookie-listed by another club at Wednesday's final draft meeting.

The 18-year-old played three games for Collingwood's VFL team towards the end of last season, including in an elimination final, and ran the third best three-kilometre time trial at the combine behind drafted midfielders Josh Kelly (GWS) and Nick Robertson (Brisbane Lions).

Kelly's father played 122 games for the club in an eight-year career and is the co-founder and chief executive of powerful management company Elite Sports Properties. The 47-year-old has been touted as a future club president.

Fremantle has similarly decided against prelisting Ryan Lester-Smith, the son of former East Fremantle goalkicker Neil, as a rookie, after he too was overlooked in the national draft. The Dockers have told the 21-year-old half-forward they will not automatically list him, but the club is open to selecting him with one of its two or three selections.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/magpies-pass-over-jake-kelly-in-rookie-draft-20131126-2y874.html#ixzz2ll6oI343

Hine obviously can't publicly commit to Gault before the draft, so all we have at this stage is rumour. Leaves open the prospect that Collingwood hasn't promised Gault anything and there might be another player at the top of Hine's rookie list. Which might look something like this;

Player X
Gault
Kelly

Can we draft Gault in PSD and Rookie Kelly?

No room, we have to choose to either take someone in the PSD or the rookie draft, we only have one spot left in total.

Gault will be selected in the rookie draft, even though it's a mistake to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No room, we have to choose to either take someone in the PSD or the rookie draft, we only have one spot left in total.

Gault will be selected in the rookie draft, even though it's a mistake to do so.

Thanks mate, that's a bummer, I did like watching Kelly's vfl games.

120411_gault600.jpg

Come on big fella, prove the doubters wrong!!!

C'mon TradeDraft we need a new thread titled "Welcome to the Collingwood Rookie List Corey Gault".;)

Make it so.:thumbsu:

Thobias Thoolen and Ben Kinnear are very much the same players the club is determined to keep drafting them and giving them a LONG time to come on.

Agreed, however I think we will see an end to this practice next year and Gault amongst others may make way for the new crop of draftees in 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back