Pick 65: Corey Gault. Welcome to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been quietly hoping & praying for Gault to recover & get back into the side asap. He was showing some good signs before he broke his collarbone. I think he is natural forward & should be left there permanently. Really hope this kid makes something out of himself.

didn't he play about 1 quarter of footy before he broke his collarbone?

If there was ever a certainty for a kid to be delisted Corey is it, he really has very little talent.

Late speculative pick who didn't make it

didn't he play about 1 quarter of footy before he broke his collarbone?

If there was ever a certainty for a kid to be delisted Corey is it, he really has very little talent.

Late speculative pick who didn't make it
Think one of the issues with him was that he did not adjust to life as a defender. Let's wait and see if he can deliver being a forward.

He is an interesting one in that he is a big bloke who looked way too raw and unready, was tried down back and didn't offer much but, did shows some signs when moved back forward. He is a big lump of a lad and as some have pointed out with Ceglar, they can take a lot of time to come good. I think he is at least worth re-rookie-ing if nothing obviously better is available.

Perhaps it's just a selective memory of the month of solid footy he'd put in prior to the Essendon match? He moved the best he's looked since 2012 in that stretch and the injury couldn't have come at a worse time.

If he has similar impact upon his return I wouldn't be against keeping him on the rookie list for a second season.

He is an interesting one in that he is a big bloke who looked way too raw and unready, was tried down back and didn't offer much but, did shows some signs when moved back forward. He is a big lump of a lad and as some have pointed out with Ceglar, they can take a lot of time to come good. I think he is at least worth re-rookie-ing if nothing obviously better is available.

The difference being Ceglar was performing well in the VFL and he wasn't delisted due to lack of talent or not thinking he would make it

Perhaps it's just a selective memory of the month of solid footy he'd put in prior to the Essendon match? He moved the best he's looked since 2012 in that stretch and the injury couldn't have come at a worse time.

If he has similar impact upon his return I wouldn't be against keeping him on the rookie list for a second season.
Yep, had OP up until this year the poor kid. they have a lot of faith in him. I think it will be line-ball whether he goes this year or not.

Gault is back?

That's awesome, once we started playing him forward (his natural position) he was looking very good.

The difference being Ceglar was performing well in the VFL and he wasn't delisted due to lack of talent or not thinking he would make it

Ceglar was really coming on in the VFL when he got the Ass

Gault is back?

That's awesome, once we started playing him forward (his natural position) he was looking very good.

He was looking better but I would not call it very good

Nah he was looking good. I suggest everyone hold off judgement until after a couple of matches at least. I agree most likely he will go, but no point making decisions about his form at this critical juncture for him. The next few weeks will be crucial, and probably very telling.

He was looking better but I would not call it very good
Leading well, taking marks, kicking straight....showing strength and play reading ability.

He's not one of your favs but he was doing very well as a forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corey was close to the only one who looked like he could run and breathe at the same time when we played Port earlier this year, he looked like he was too big and agile for them down back when we moved the ball quickly.

He started off well in that Essendon game too. He'll be lucky to get another year, but he hasn't had a great run at it and we don't have a surplus of talks on our list.

Leading well, taking marks, kicking straight....showing strength and play reading ability.

So is there potential for him to become a 40+ goal kicking a year forward at AFL level in the next couple of years? Is that realistic?

So is there potential for him to become a 40+ goal kicking a year forward at AFL level in the next couple of years? Is that realistic?
It's too early to make any prediction like that, but he looks too have the smarts to play as a serviceable key forward

We do not need another Thoolen, Kinnear type who gets a 5-10 year stint for showing sweet fa bar being of KPP height.

He had a good game vs Port Melb but his opponent came up to his shoulder.

If he comes on it will be a fair form turn around as prior to going down back he was played as a fwd and stunk it up hence the reason he was shifted back in the first place. He was not reading the play or the flight of the ball well back then even remotely. This is not to say he has not learnt to do so and maybe going back has vastly improved his forward play.

He only kicked 2 goals even in what was considered his best game and people are asking whether he is capable of kicking 40+ at AFL level?

Last edited:

He looks okay Forward as Down back he was Utterly Useless.

Still might get the 2nd Year on the Rookie List

Will be interesting to see how he teams up with Karnezis. Would I be right in saying that they have not played in the same side? I think they will both thrive.

Hopefully the ins over the next few weeks gets the VFL team back on track.

Will be interesting to see how he teams up with Karnezis. Would I be right in saying that they have not played in the same side? I think they will both thrive.

Hopefully the ins over the next few weeks gets the VFL team back on track.

I'm reasonably confident v Coburg they played together. That was PK's return match and Gault injured himself the week after (that's from memory though) :thumbsu:

A month of having two targets I50 will do wonders for the VFL team with Reid a chance to return during that period!

I'm reasonably confident v Coburg they played together. That was PK's return match and Gault injured himself the week after (that's from memory though) :thumbsu:

A month of having two targets I50 will do wonders for the VFL team with Reid a chance to return during that period!
And Freeman and Scharenberg and Oxley and whoever goes out of the side for Goldsack and Maxwell and... okay I am getting ahead of myself! Exciting times for the VFL team. Can't wait for the next Vic Park game.

And Freeman and Scharenberg and Oxley and whoever goes out of the side for Goldsack and Maxwell and... okay I am getting ahead of myself! Exciting times for the VFL team. Can't wait for the next Vic Park game.

5 to return at VFL level this week alone (two outs for Steele and Goldy plus PK, Gault and Sinclair) has me just about on board depending on where the game is (Preston maybe?).

5 to return at VFL level this week alone (two outs for Steele and Goldy plus PK, Gault and Sinclair) has me just about on board depending on where the game is (Preston maybe?).

Morwell this week, Preston next

Remove this Banner Ad

Back