List Mgmt. Pick 69 - Logan Austin 197cm KPD

Remove this Banner Ad

A bio on Austin of Skippos' I just came across. Let the Jake Lever comparisons begin!

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/skipposs-final-2014-phantom-draft.1070460/#post-34113798

Logan Austin (NSW - Athletic KPD)

196cm, 88kg, 7/8/96
Range: Rookie-undrafted
Style: Dustin Fletcher
Comparison: Lachie Plowman

The cousin of St Kilda player Sean Dempster, Logan Austin is an athletic utility who's found a home in defence. Aligned to the GWS academy, he's slid under the radar but his talent is undoubted. He possesses a really natural read of the game and has an excellent intercept game. He also picks the right times to zone off his opponent. At 196cm his athleticism is excellent and by foot he's reliable. He has a natural tendency to attack the play. When forward he's capable of kicking goals and has spent time through the middle too. A hard worker, Austin is someone who's going to work to get the best out of himself and having claimed victims like Nick Salter and Tom Boyd this year, his continual improvement should see him drafted. He reminds me a bit of Dustin Fletcher in the way he plays, but he's also similar to fellow draft prospect Jake Lever in many ways.

A bio on Austin of Skippos' I just came across. Let the Jake Lever comparisons begin!

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/skipposs-final-2014-phantom-draft.1070460/#post-34113798

Logan Austin (NSW - Athletic KPD)

196cm, 88kg, 7/8/96
Range: Rookie-undrafted
Style: Dustin Fletcher
Comparison: Lachie Plowman

The cousin of St Kilda player Sean Dempster, Logan Austin is an athletic utility who's found a home in defence. Aligned to the GWS academy, he's slid under the radar but his talent is undoubted. He possesses a really natural read of the game and has an excellent intercept game. He also picks the right times to zone off his opponent. At 196cm his athleticism is excellent and by foot he's reliable. He has a natural tendency to attack the play. When forward he's capable of kicking goals and has spent time through the middle too. A hard worker, Austin is someone who's going to work to get the best out of himself and having claimed victims like Nick Salter and Tom Boyd this year, his continual improvement should see him drafted. He reminds me a bit of Dustin Fletcher in the way he plays, but he's also similar to fellow draft prospect Jake Lever in many ways.
Just as I thought. This is why I had him rated in my top 3 players at the draft:rolleyes:.

In reality though he does have some talent for us to work with so hopefully can show us some good form in that reserves comp we have(sanlolfl). And who the hell names these kids now-a-days?

His profiles and various highlight videos remind me of Justin Clarke.

From Emma Quayle's profile:

Logan Austin (Belconnen)

Born 8.7.1995, 194cm, 86kg

AFL biography: Developing player that has recently transitioned to centre half-back after starting as a key forward and pinch hitting ruckman. Has excellent closing speed and backs himself regularly to take the mark and win the ball back for his team. Is a good kick of the footy and generally selects the right option when rebounding from defence. Took nine marks in two games for NSW/ACT at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships

Jason Saddington, NSW/ACT Rams: "Logan's a key position player I think is best suited to defence. His closing speed is really good and he has good aerial skills. The next stage of his development would be strength in one on one contests. He's a Canberra boy, a really nice, down to earth kid who would do anything to succeed in his footy."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...harvester-tall-defenders-20141002-10piwd.html
I like what I'm reading here

Yes I'm thinking in the bank for three years or so. Looking forward to just getting a chance to see him have a run around in a preseason game. Like Redden did before this season started where he just did a few things that had you thinking that the club had made a good call.

Some pics from the Combine:
352114.jpg
352106.jpg

Logan+Austin+AFL+Draft+Combine+hzH6gHgb7VZl.jpg

BzABBEfCQAAMQC_.jpg:large

His profiles and various highlight videos remind me of Justin Clarke.
Watching the highlights video, remind me of Jarrad Waite. Hopefully he has the same athleticism and football ability but not the attitude and injury problems.

I know that photo's can be deceptive but Frampton, Howard and Austin look almost the same height so the 200cm, 199cm and 197cm in Inside Football are probably more accurate than the 199,195,194 readings we have been given by other sources.

Some pics from the Combine:

Logan+Austin+AFL+Draft+Combine+hzH6gHgb7VZl.jpg

I don't know whats going on on this board recently, but all this talk of the next big Port star is missing one key player.
Sure, Karl Amon is fit and Bill Framptom is tall. But can any of them do the vertical splits??
I mean, even Yoey Wagner's thread has more recent posts than Stone Cold Austin.
The only explanation is we've already accepted his rise to stardom, but fear not. I won't let you be the one who forgets him, only to have egg on your face when breaks into first 22 in 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know whats going on on this board recently, but all this talk of the next big Port star is missing one key player.
Sure, Karl Amon is fit and Bill Framptom is tall. But can any of them do the vertical splits??
I mean, even Yoey Wagner's thread has more recent posts than Stone Cold Austin.
The only explanation is we've already accepted his rise to stardom, but fear not. I won't let you be the one who forgets him, only to have egg on your face when breaks into first 22 in 2015.
Gold star for you!
:p

Is he the first player from the ACT to come to Alberton?

First one I remember is Robert Whatman in the mid-1970s who IIRC originally played at Manuka, then had 34 games at Geelong 1972-74 before shifting to Port in 1975. Whatman was a 185cm midfielder/half forward who had a distinctive rugby running style, tucking the ball the ball under his arm as he sprinted upfield.
He even played occasionally at full forward and kicked 7 goals in a reserves game.

Funny how youngsters taken with extremely late picks don't seem to have worked out as well as the ones that were passed on and then taken in the pre season draft. Or at least it seems that way but I haven't really checked.
I am thinking of Surjan and Calquahoon, although the Hoon still has some ways to go before we can say he made it.

Funny how youngsters taken with extremely late picks don't seem to have worked out as well as the ones that were passed on and then taken in the pre season draft. Or at least it seems that way but I haven't really checked.
I am thinking of Surjan and Calquahoon, although the Hoon still has some ways to go before we can say he made it.

Tommy Jonas.

But then a lot of rookies don't make it - in Jonas's year there was Callum Hay, Jarrad Irons and Mitch Curnow.

Tommy Jonas.

But then a lot of rookies don't make it - in Jonas's year there was Callum Hay, Jarrad Irons and Mitch Curnow.
Yeah I left rookies out.

Tommy Jonas.

Just to explain where I was coming from, pre season draft picks are different to rookie picks as they could have been used in the draft proper.
One thing saving them for out of contract players, although FA has changed that somewhat, but passing in the draft to the use them later on for the "best of the rest" doesn't necessarily make that much sense, in particular when you pass as early as we did in 2012.

Is there a difference in the minimum wage that a draftee gets based on when he was drafted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back