Opinion Pick your Round 1 side

Well, we've now seen some actual footy so I'm already starting to look ahead to Round 1 on Easter Monday.

I expect to chop and change my views on this after the next two NAB games but I'll give it a go now anyway.

The winner today for mine was Lang who should now be knocking on the door for more senior games. He has versatility, class and poise in his favour. Seems to be more in the frame than others like Hartman, Jansen, etc.

Here goes:

B: Bews Lonergan Rivers
HB: Enright Taylor Mackie
C: Motlop Caddy Duncan
HF: Kersten Clark Murdoch*
F: Stokes Hawkins Bartel
R: McIntosh Johnson Selwood
Int: Kelly Guthrie Blicavs Lang

*I can't find a spot (yet) for Smedts or GHS but another game like today's from Murdoch will have one of them replace him in my side.

WHY?
How about waiting for all the NAB games and seeing what eventuates?
BECAUSE...

It's a talking point. If you want to reserve your position until later, don't contribute.

Rainfall

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 10, 2013
Wolf Creek
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Zyzz ~ Forever mirin'
B: Bews Lonergan Rivers
HB: Enright Taylor Thurlow
C: Motlop Caddy Duncan
HF: Cockatoo Clark Murdoch*
F: Stokes Hawkins Bartel
R: McIntosh Johnson Selwood
Int: Kelly Guthrie Blicavs Lang

well JT if fit obviously

BECAUSE...

It's a talking point. If you want to reserve your position until later, don't contribute.
I know, it's in the air and you can't wait.
But stuff happens in preseason!

I know, it's in the air and you can't wait.
But stuff happens in preseason!
It does. I expect the thread will be dug out, chewed up and spat out many times before the official team for round one is named.

Last edited:
It does. I expect the thread will be dug out, chewed chewed up and spat out many times before the official team for round one is named.
Fair point.
As you say, I can NOT contribute, but will read with interest.

Mar 21, 2006
Near Kardinia Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Murdoch has played some good games against Hawthorn at the 'G so I won't be writing him off yet. He would obviously need to do a lot more than today.

B: Bews Lonergan Enright
HB: Blicavs Taylor Mackie
C: Duncan Selwood Stokes
HF: Kersten Clark Murdoch
F: Lang Hawkins Motlop
Foll: Simpson Caddy Bartel
Int: Kelly Guthrie GHS McIntosh

Murdoch has played some good games against Hawthorn at the 'G so I won't be writing him off yet. He would obviously need to do a lot more than today.

B: Bews Lonergan Enright
HB: Blicavs Taylor Mackie
C: Duncan Selwood Stokes
HF: Kersten Clark Murdoch
F: Lang Hawkins Motlop
Foll: Simpson Caddy Bartel
Int: Kelly Guthrie GHS McIntosh
No Johnson?

Rivers VFL?

BOTH Simpson and HMac?

lets pick someone for the specific purpose to tag mitchell
it isnt rocket science

he kills us everytime
Still amazes me they never try Kelly. He seems tailor made for it.

Mar 21, 2006
Near Kardinia Park
AFL Club
Geelong
No Johnson?

Rivers VFL?

BOTH Simpson and HMac?

I think Simpson and HMac did well v Hawthorn R5 last year - and if they are the ruck combo then I would play Blicavs in defense over Rivers. If we're going to get some experience into Blicavs and Kolo then we have to do it by rotating Rivers/Mackie/Lonergan, surely.

SJ - may not make R1/early rounds.

lets pick someone for the specific purpose to tag mitchell
it isnt rocket science

he kills us everytime
Who would you recommend?
Who has the smarts, the strength, the tank, the concentration, the ability to read his ball use? Nobody really. The guy is a dead set freak, and his handballing out of danger rivals GAJ.
Guthrie?
Bews?
Caddy?
But agree, a priority.

I think Simpson and HMac did well v Hawthorn R5 last year - and if they are the ruck combo then I would play Blicavs in defense over Rivers. If we're going to get some experience into Blicavs and Kolo then we have to do it by rotating Rivers/Mackie/Lonergan, surely.

SJ - may not make R1/early rounds.
Gee, I hope Johnson is there from the get go.

Yes, HMac and Simpson were good in the early game against Hawthorn last year. HMac basically played as the 2nd tall and did it well. Now with Clark I'm not sure that would work.

With Rivers can't see him kicking dew I'm the VFL early on when we need to be getting wins on the board. Agree though that we will need to rotate Blicavs and Kolo throughout the year.

Can't see it, but of course that could change if he plays a good one in the remaining two NABs. The question is: in what role? Most likely as 2nd ruck in which case Blicavs is either out or in defence. That latter scenario seems possible if Rivers doesn't come up but current indications are he is Ok (iirc).

Can you see him there fpm84?

Whit3y

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sheff Wed
Who would you recommend?
Who has the smarts, the strength, the tank, the concentration, the ability to read his ball use? Nobody really. The guy is a dead set freak, and his handballing out of danger rivals GAJ.
Guthrie?
Bews?
Caddy?
But agree, a priority.

id go bews, but its a big ask

only for the fact that bews hasnt as much attacking side to his game as the other two. guthrie or caddy could go ball/kick chasing where as bews could be more focused on the task at hand

wouldnt care if bews didnt get a kick just limit mitchell

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Can't see it, but of course that could change if he plays a good one in the remaining two NABs. The question is: in what role? Most likely as 2nd ruck in which case Blicavs is either out or in defence. That latter scenario seems possible if Rivers doesn't come up but current indications are he is Ok (iirc).

Can you see him there fpm84?

Yeah, if all our big guys are fit for round one (unlikely?) there will be some decisions to make.

Harry, Rivers and Lonergan are locks down back.
Hawkins and Clark locks up forward.

I see McIntosh and Simpson as fighting over the same spot.

Stanley best suited to a second ruck / part time forward role but has played number one ruck for St Kilda and could do it for us if need be.

I'm happy for Blicavs to play down back and think it would be a wise move with an eye to the future given Rivers and Lonergan are close to the end. But I can't see how he fits in there at the moment.

It seems there's no guarantee Stanley will play in the NAB Challenge which would likely rule him out of round one anyway IMO, so the hard calls may not need to be made right away.

Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Ok here we go:

B - Bews / Lonergan / Rivers
HB - Enright / Taylor / Mackie
C - Duncan / Caddy / Guthrie
HF - Kersten / Hawkins / Bartel
F - Lang / Clark / Murdoch

RUCKS - McIntosh / Selwood / Stevie J
INT - Blicavs / Kelly / Cockatoo / Stokes

If Thurlow was fit for Round1 I would have him on Wing.
If Murdoch doesn't improve over next 2 NAB games, Gregson in for Murdoch.
GHS very unlucky to miss out, only have Cockatoo over him because of the extra speed he brings.
Smedts unfortunate as well, would like to see him more in midfield at times as well as defence doesn't show us enough...
If McIntosh doesn't get in a NAB game before Round 1, but Stanley does, then Stanley in for McIntosh (Yes, my personal preference).
*Hope I haven't forgot anyone*

Aug 20, 2013
Ok here we go:

B - Bews / Lonergan / Rivers
HB - Enright / Taylor / Mackie
C - Duncan / Caddy / Guthrie
HF - Kersten / Hawkins / Bartel
F - Lang / Clark / Murdoch

RUCKS - McIntosh / Selwood / Stevie J
INT - Blicavs / Kelly / Cockatoo / Stokes

If Thurlow was fit for Round1 I would have him on Wing.
If Murdoch doesn't improve over next 2 NAB games, Gregson in for Murdoch.
GHS very unlucky to miss out, only have Cockatoo over him because of the extra speed he brings.
Smedts unfortunate as well, would like to see him more in midfield at times as well as defence doesn't show us enough...
If McIntosh doesn't get in a NAB game before Round 1, but Stanley does, then Stanley in for McIntosh (Yes, my personal preference).
*Hope I haven't forgot anyone*
Motlop...

Jimmy Yamazaki

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Very few did anything to lock in their spot. Lang took a positive step , and Cocaktoo did as well. A lot will depend on the next 2 games, Blease , Cowan , Jansen all still in with a chance.

Agree with this.

Outside of Clark, can't think of many new players from today's game at least that could come into the best 22 from what we had last year, maybe Stanley.

would really like to see some new faces pushing for round 1 selection over the next couple of games.

Still amazes me they never try Kelly. He seems tailor made for it.
Yep and the one opponent where pace isn't an issue. Just need to be strong and disciplined... Ling used to get him every time they met

Back