Traded Picks 14 + 35 (Geelong) for Picks 10 + 47 (Adelaide)

The first round of this draft must be extremely even

or Cats have quite a Few Players they Like that are Ranked 7-15 on there Board and they can get 1 of them at Pick 14

Dom Sheed like situation?

Not really - we turned a 5 pick downgrade into a new 2nd round pick

This is downgrading 4 spots in the 1st round to get a dozen later

In both situations I reckon the club getting the earliest pick wins.

Crows4Eva

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2010
Adelaide, SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Supposedly isnt much in it between pick 6 and pick 16 this year. Must have our eye on someone who we think will still be there at 14

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Adelaide trying to recover the pick in the 30's they downgraded for the Hawks castoffs.

Geelong trying to find an elite kid because they realise they need top end talent now. Plus they back Wells to find who he wants with 40's just as well as 35.

Seems like Adelaide, with a new coach, were looking to bring in plenty of picks as well as players. A bit of a mini clean out of the NQR's.

Given how even this draft is I'd say that's the redeeming feature of this trade. In most years I'd call this a bad trade from the Crows. Goddard, as a Geelong falcons boy who's slipped down the draft but still has some elite traits could be a bargain at pick 10. Long term replacement for Harry Taylor as an intercept mark and beautiful kick from half back, just needs a few years to develop.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is probably over analysing but from going from 10 to 14 Adelaide let these 4 clubs in ahead of them:
Geelong - who often take smokies early
West Coast - who like drafting WA kids
Richmond - who have shown the often have a real liking for a certain player (Valustin, Ellis, Conca)
Freo

Besides from the strengths of the draft, who they want and where they thing they'll be available, I wonder if part of the reason Adelaide rolled the dice was because looking at the teams they figured they are even more likely to get their guy.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
Geelong have moved ahead of West Coast and Fremantle in the pecking order. My guess is that we're going to select Jarrod Pickett.
Fair assumption, although probably more for West Coast rather than Freo. With a draft full of talls, our borad will melt if we pick up a mid with our first pick.

Longman

Debutant
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, Schalke
You can just about guarantee that this will result in one team getting a 200+ gamer and the other a dud. 5 years time and one set of supporters will be lamenting it.
It's a funny thing, our history of top ten draft picks is mediocre at best. The likes of Angwin, Sellar and Meesan come to mind. Yet our success in the 10-15 range is as good as any, Danger, Tahlia, Smith and Davis some of the more notables.

I doubt it's the case but you couldn't really blame our list management for not rating some picks as highly as others.

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair assumption, although probably more for West Coast rather than Freo. With a draft full of talls, our borad will melt if we pick up a mid with our first pick.

Suspect ours would melt if we pick up another tall.

With Christensen's unexpected exit, and Varcoe used to get Clark, Geelong could use a pacey, skilled mid who can play outside. I'd say they are after Pickett.

Longman

Debutant
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, Schalke
Suspect ours would melt if we pick up another tall.

With Christensen's unexpected exit, and Varcoe used to get Clark, Geelong could use a pacey, skilled mid who can play outside. I'd say they are after Pickett.
Strange enough, probably what we'd have used the pick for too, unless there was a KPD slider.

Back