Picola & District FL NW 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerilderie are holding their vote count tomorrow night, would be out of Purcell and Marshall just going on how they went in the league count. would have had the coach up there but i reckon he has lost are yard or two in pace, having recently seen him pipped at the post by the Pie Man:p

With the impending decision on whether Tocumwal will be accepted into the picola league nth wst Div (essentially a relegation) and rumours of at least one other MFL club discussing it options is it time to revisit the discussion as to whether a 3 tier Murray/Picola league should be considered.

Reaons for:
1 Essentially both leagues cover the same geographical area.
2 It would give Struggling/Dominant clubs in either division 1 or 2 a more streamlined process in which to move up/down a level, whilst giving the the clubs the struggle the most to compete the best chance of doing so in div 3

1. Below I have quickly put together an example of a possible initial set up, based on clubs ave finishing position (H&A) over the past 5 years, taking into account some other information such as demographics. This just an example there are many methods to work out it would look initially

2.Promotion/Relegation could be done by the folling methods
  • promotion relegation to happen automatically (based on yearly, bi-yearly or tri-yearly ave finishing postions)
  • Or by application/agreement to the league co-signed by a club in each division each wishing to promote/Relegate themselves (essentially a swap)

Division 1
Mulwala
Cobram
Deni
Moama
Finley
Echuca
Numurkah
Barooga
Congupna
Tongala

Division 2
Nathalia
Rumba
Toc
Shepp East
Tungamah
Rennie
Dookie
Waaia
Jerrilderie
Berrigan

Division 3
Strathy
Deni
Katty
Mathoura
Katunga
Blighty
Katandra
Yarroweyah
Picola

Thoughts?

Yarroweyah and Mathoura who finished 7th and 8th in the NW in 2013 finished 1st and 2nd in 2010, whilst I would suggest Katandra would be the most successful PDFNL club over the past 20 years , which indicates to me all clubs have the ability to compete .
Making it so all clubs can sustain that is what is important and should be the highest priority of THE LEAGUE .
The league still has some work to do continue to promote itself as the preferred option for players in the area .
The need to play MAJOR LEAGUE to gain greater opportunities is gone .
Through Rhys McCulloch (Sturt ) , Jack Yelland ( Coburg ) , Lachie Howe ( Geelong ) , Thomas Clurey ( Port Adelaide ) various elite junior reps including at state level and the possibility of another AFL draftee this year .
I have no doubt what so ever that there are things ( which shouldn't be discussed upon here ) THE LEAGUE can and should do to ensure ALL clubs are able to maintain and sustain competiveness at similar levels to what the higher placed senior sides achieved this year .
Relegation and delegation is generally based on one grade of one sport .
IIRC the PDFNL is 4 football grades and 7 netball grades , so therefore it is quite likely 10 of the 11 of a clubs sides would be would be disadvantaged by relegation / delegation .
IIRC 7 of the 8 clubs where represented within 2013 NW GF's , whilst Katandra who went through 2013 winless at senior level had 6 of 7 netball sides within the GF.
Success at senior level takes alot of recruitment time , whilst administration of clubs takes up a huge amount of time . Some clubs from time to time struggle with support staff and as a result time available to spend on recruiting is limited and those helping within clubs become worn out very quickly .
Stagnating and standing in the one position makes affiliates of a league ripe for the picking which unfortunately has happened for to long .
A quick look at populations show Tungamah is the smallest town within the PDFNL whilst Deni the largest .
Tunga won the SE 2013 senior flag whilst Deni has never won a senior flag .

Yarroweyah and Mathoura who finished 7th and 8th in the NW in 2013 finished 1st and 2nd in 2010, whilst I would suggest Katandra would be the most successful PDFNL club over the past 20 years , which indicates to me all clubs have the ability to compete .
Making it so all clubs can sustain that is what is important and should be the highest priority of THE LEAGUE .
The league still has some work to do continue to promote itself as the preferred option for players in the area .
The need to play MAJOR LEAGUE to gain greater opportunities is gone .
Through Rhys McCulloch (Sturt ) , Jack Yelland ( Coburg ) , Lachie Howe ( Geelong ) , Thomas Clurey ( Port Adelaide ) various elite junior reps including at state level and the possibility of another AFL draftee this year .
I have no doubt what so ever that there are things ( which shouldn't be discussed upon here ) THE LEAGUE can and should do to ensure ALL clubs are able to maintain and sustain competiveness at similar levels to what the higher placed senior sides achieved this year .
Relegation and delegation is generally based on one grade of one sport .
IIRC the PDFNL is 4 football grades and 7 netball grades , so therefore it is quite likely 10 of the 11 of a clubs sides would be would be disadvantaged by relegation / delegation .
IIRC 7 of the 8 clubs where represented within 2013 NW GF's , whilst Katandra who went through 2013 winless at senior level had 6 of 7 netball sides within the GF.
Success at senior level takes alot of recruitment time , whilst administration of clubs takes up a huge amount of time . Some clubs from time to time struggle with support staff and as a result time available to spend on recruiting is limited and those helping within clubs become worn out very quickly .
Stagnating and standing in the one position makes affiliates of a league ripe for the picking which unfortunately has happened for to long .
A quick look at populations show Tungamah is the smallest town within the PDFNL whilst Deni the largest .
Tunga won the SE 2013 senior flag whilst Deni has never won a senior flag .

As I stated in the original post this was only a very quick example of one way to rank teams, i:e past 5 years ave finishing position in the H&A away season for the senior football grade. I used this as it was the easiest information to access in a short amount of time. I would actually prefer to use a champion club ranking type system that would rates clubs entire performance and use a larger sample time i:e 10 years. But as I said it was only an example. Its always easy to pick small examples and exceptions out of a concept like this however I believe the idea has some very strong merits. Particualy for the survival of the most vunerable clubs!!!

Well it finally happened. Toc into the North West. I would like the congratulate the league for making the right decision for the future of our league. Toc will be a great inclusion. It also reshapes the draw into a better scenario. I would be assuming that there will be 18 rounds with each team playing 16 games. This gives every team 2 byes and everyone plays each other twice. Couldn't be fairer. I am also assuming there will be an interleague bye in there somewhere if we decide to continue down that path.

As a long time supporter , I was surprised at a few things that come out of Monday nights meeting .

I had heard picola had discussed going elsewhere and that Yarroweyah and Mathoura were struggling but thought it was just the normal football gossip .
Talk about Toc having lots of money and being able to raise alot of money and others not being able to compete financially .
Got a few questions I'd like to know the answer to if anyone in here was at the meeting and could help me ?
Was there any talk at the meeting Toc are broke ?
Do Picola get to vote on things to do with the league , even though they have stated they are looking to go elsewhere ?
Also Mathoura and Yarroweyah if they are going to fold ?
Was there any talk of what the league is going to do to the NW clubs who have been trying to get SE clubs to go to the NW ?
Did the league discuss what might happen with the league if picola piss off and the other two fold , will they force some of Waaia , Katunga , Katamatite, Rennie into the the NW or just go into the one league again ?
Did someone mention the money Strathmerton has been making year after year from holding the grand final and using to poach players from other pdfl clubs ?

Wish Toc had of gone into the SE , the SE could have started it's own league .

I am also a long time supporter of PDFNL. I don't attend meetings but I may be able to answer some of these.

Firstly, when the league was split it was done with the intention of giving clubs more of a chance to be competitive with the security that if clubs did fold the league could rejoin. This is why we shouldn't be advocating SE go off on their own!!
IIRC, if one side of the league falls below 8 clubs in its comp the league rejoins. That is the fall back position must have minimum of 8 each side of the league. Given the problems other leagues are having by having too many clubs in their league I would have thought we should be happy with our set-up and be looking to ensure its continuation.

Regarding Toc, my question to our clubs is would you like to be forced to go back to playing Tungamah, Shepp East etc ( not just talking competitive wise but travel wise as well thinking of juniors as well) OR welcome Toc in who fit us perfectly geographically/travel wise??? If you think Mathaz or Yarra may fold then you need to think about that carefully.

It is my understanding that Tocumwal's financial position was taken into account. I think our league is fortunate enough to have a couple of league execs with extensive accountancy experience coupled with football experience so I am comfortable they would have looked at that closely given the rumours flying around. In short I personally am more inclined to trust their decision not listen to gossip.

Picola, I hadn't heard of their desire to move so cant comment on that. That said, of course they can vote they haven't left the league yet.

I think any re Strathmerton and grand finals has been addressed with all finals, including the grand final, now on an 8 year rotation.

No club from the SE can move to the NW unless it is an agreed swap as the SE only has 8. So this talk of NW clubs trying to bring other clubs across from SE is fruitless and not an issue at this time. Clubs would be better off suggesting to the league which clubs outside our league we should target to join us. Be handy to have a couple more in to ensure the viability of a two league competition.

I will sum this up. IMO clubs should look at big picture and realise that it is in the interests of all clubs that we look to maintain a two league comp with minimum of 8 on each, maybe maximum of 10? It may mean taking risks, if you tend to listen to gossip, and bring in clubs like Toc. Do I think some of our clubs may fold, yes sadly but the league can only do so much, and if you really think about it over the past few years our league has done more than others to ensure the viability of its clubs.

As a long time supporter , I was surprised at a few things that come out of Monday nights meeting .

I had heard picola had discussed going elsewhere and that Yarroweyah and Mathoura were struggling but thought it was just the normal football gossip .
Talk about Toc having lots of money and being able to raise alot of money and others not being able to compete financially .
Got a few questions I'd like to know the answer to if anyone in here was at the meeting and could help me ?
Do Picola get to vote on things to do with the league , even though they have stated they are looking to go elsewhere ?
Was there any talk of what the league is going to do to the NW clubs who have been trying to get SE clubs to go to the NW ?
Did the league discuss what might happen with the league if picola piss off and the other two fold , will they force some of Waaia , Katunga , Katamatite, Rennie into the the NW or just go into the one league again ?
Did someone mention the money Strathmerton has been making year after year from holding the grand final and using to poach players from other pdfl clubs ?

Is this bit a gee up? Does the fact that the strathy recruits have family members or best mates playing at the club count for anything. Smart recruiting maybe? No mention of jerilderie form poaching coaches and players?

Was there any talk at the meeting Toc are broke ? NO nor should there have been , to my knowledge the board are the only ones who have seen their financial position, which I would suggest is pretty standard .
Do Picola get to vote on things to do with the league , even though they have stated they are looking to go elsewhere ?Cause they would , why wouldn't they ?
Also Mathoura and Yarroweyah if they are going to fold ?No clubs where named as going to fold to suggest otherwise is totally incorrect
Was there any talk of what the league is going to do to the NW clubs who have been trying to get SE clubs to go to the NW ?No but so can personally confirm any possible suitors who have been suggested as wanting to move from the SE where canvassed of such , before the board made there decision .
Did the league discuss what might happen with the league if picola piss off and the other two fold , will they force some of Waaia , Katunga , Katamatite, Rennie into the the NW or just go into the one league again ?no club has suggested they wish to go back to 1 division.
Did someone mention the money Strathmerton has been making year after year from holding the grand final and using to poach players from other pdfl clubs ? No they didn't and not should they , the board made the decision in where the grand finals where played . As for players changing clubs , who gives clacked has been happening for years if clubs are upset by another clubs advances to it's players they need to work it out with the club or personnel involved

I was at the meeting and have answered your question what believe to be correct .
Further more on this subject , which some may get nancy about me stating but so be it .
No SE contacted wants to go to the NW .
There is no further interest from any club within the NW area to join the NW league .
Clubs have been offered assistant both at Monday nights meeting and also at the prior delegates meeting, well before Tocumwal applied .
If no board member had prior motives or conflicts of interest , the board has done the necessary research , I am comfortable they have made the decision in the best interest of the league .
Points that interestingly, I don't think anyone has ever questioned.
Not so long ago some were pissing and moaning about the boards suggestion of the sub rule , many have since admitted they were wrong in their initial assessment .
Maybe everyone needs to appreciate that informed, non-conflicted people are well positioned to make good decisions .
When there is evidence they have made a mistake , failed to research , become dominated by individual personalities or acted despite conflicts of interest , by all means everyone can let fly until then...............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this bit a gee up? Does the fact that the strathy recruits have family members or best mates playing at the club count for anything. Smart recruiting maybe? No mention of jerilderie form poaching coaches and players?[/quote]

I think you will find Downie, Moodie, Wren, Makepeace, Hoggan, Daniels we all "POACHED" from other clubs. Most coaches are recruited from outside of the club.

Jerilderie got a new coach for next year by the sounds of it:confused: who have they signed :rolleyes:

I think you will find Downie, Moodie, Wren, Makepeace, Hoggan, Daniels we all "POACHED" from other clubs. Most coaches are recruited from outside of the club.
Charles Mac, Today at 9:44 AM Report

By the looks of what Charles Mac is saying Mairjimmy 321 Jerilderie have been real busy recruiting aka "poaching" coaches..... :eek::D :D

Charles Mac, Today at 9:44 AM Report

By the looks of what Charles Mac is saying Mairjimmy 321 Jerilderie have been real busy recruiting aka "poaching" coaches..... :eek::D :D
Fantastic coaches & Players they all are Wilty. would luv to have them all But iam strictly a one Coach sort of guy.;):D.

apparently they talking to a recently delisted afl player so mabe those grand finals have paid off

Yer my typo..

All those coaches were poached from other clubs. As for the new Jerilderie coach, maybe Mairjimmy should tell the old one his out before the new one comes in.....

I hear that Berrigan has appointed a new coach in Ty Russell?
I also hear there could be an exodus of upto 10 players from
last years side. Anyone able to confirm this?

Heard that one straight after the season.

Also heard Toc will be spending a fair bit of cash. Want to win it first year in and gain some respect back.

Heard that one straight after the season.

Also heard Toc will be spending a fair bit of cash. Want to win it first year in and gain some respect back.
Hmmm... I think they did that a few years back. Worked really really well for them to.....

Danny Kirchen from Mulwala to coach Toc in 2014 going by report in todays SRN. Plenty of experiance having coached at the Billabong Crows for 4 years and Mulwala 2nds the past 2 seasons.

Any clubs announce new recruits?? Yarra, Strathy, Berrigan??? Very quiet.
Strathy has resigned all there playing list and r goin hard at recruits signed someone from moroopna and two others out if shep way and r still goin hard money to burn out that way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back