Picola & District SE 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2007
home or work
AFL Club
Essendon
Roar just out of interest (& your honest opinion) how would Jerilderie or Strathy have gone up against Tungamah this year? Because just from my opinion knowing both leagues I believe Tungamah would have been the only side out of the entire PDFL that would have definitely made the KDFL Top 6 with the other 2 above mentioned sides fighting it out for a top 6 spot with Avenel & Lancaster....

But hey as I said that's not dissing either league that's just my opinion....

No roar I don't think the 2 leagues are of equal standard at all I believe the kdl are way better at this moment With the exeption of tunga
who are miles above the rest in the pfl they are and will continue to dominate the league until another club or two have a red hot dip and try to knock them
off their perch Where the kdl has at least 4 sides that are as good if not better than tunga I believe I am qualified to judge as I spent 7 years in the pfl before
crossing to the kdfl 3 years ago I had the chance this year to go and watch 4 games rennie twice dookie katty twice and the kats those sides in my
opinion would not have made the kdfl top 6 Maybe players that have played in both leagues can share their views
It is always easy to pot other leagues , but maybe you are underestimating how good of a side Tungamah in 2014 were and likewise other PDFNL sides .

Roar just out of interest (& your honest opinion) how would Jerilderie or Strathy have gone up against Tungamah this year? Because just from my opinion knowing both leagues I believe Tungamah would have been the only side out of the entire PDFL that would have definitely made the KDFL Top 6 with the other 2 above mentioned sides fighting it out for a top 6 spot with Avenel & Lancaster....

But hey as I said that's not dissing either league that's just my opinion....
I think it is dangerous to judge sides in one of the PDFNL comps and the other and I assume you understand why I am reluctant to do so. However, I will say that the two comps in type of footy played appear to be getting further apart which is not surprising due to grounds sizes , geographical locations.
To answer your question Tungamah and Jerilderie would have been a great clash from the games I seen during the year , I saw Waaia who didn't make the top 5 lead Tungamah at Tungamah, well after half time before incurring a few injuries, so I am not sure the sides in the SE should be questioned , maybe people just don't realise how resilient and good Tungamah 2014 really were .
I will admit I did not see a KDFL game in 2014 however that comp was coming from along way back from either PDFNL comp .
This is not intended to be defamatory toward the KDFL but it would appear clubs are placing a higher priority on recruiting whereas the PDFNL is placing a higher priority on developing their own .
Given the success of the shepp swans and benalla building their core from within and similar approach now seemingly being taken by otherGV clubs it will be interesting times over the next few years with increasing player payments and recruitment high upon afl vic country's agenda .

Played in senior finals in both PDFL (PDFL-SE) and KDFL in recent years and there is not a huge difference between the leagues. One point of difference would have to be the consistency of players within a team. PDFL teams tend to maintain a core group for longer (whole careers) and regularly throw up a surprise kid out of 3rds that makes an immediate impact. KDFL players tend to be closer to the age of 20 before really impacting on games and clubs will often bring in 6-8 quality players in one swoop to jump the rungs of the ladder, although some PDFL clubs have done this at times it is rare.

Two very different landscapes that both serve their communities well. Not sure if there is anything to be gained through potting the comps. I would however love to see the KDFL duplicate the PDFL/MFL 3rds/4ths model, but not a lot of support for it on this side of the Goulburn!

Played in senior finals in both PDFL (PDFL-SE) and KDFL in recent years and there is not a huge difference between the leagues. One point of difference would have to be the consistency of players within a team. PDFL teams tend to maintain a core group for longer (whole careers) and regularly throw up a surprise kid out of 3rds that makes an immediate impact. KDFL players tend to be closer to the age of 20 before really impacting on games and clubs will often bring in 6-8 quality players in one swoop to jump the rungs of the ladder, although some PDFL clubs have done this at times it is rare.

Two very different landscapes that both serve their communities well. Not sure if there is anything to be gained through potting the comps. I would however love to see the KDFL duplicate the PDFL/MFL 3rds/4ths model, but not a lot of support for it on this side of the Goulburn!
Best return to where they do support the 3rds/4ths model you like then GrassKat ;):D

Best return to where they do support the 3rds/4ths model you like then GrassKat ;):D
Now your trying to poach players back to the PDFL Roar? Things aren't that bad are they?? :D:D

Nah I must admit Roar, you did a very very good job at establishing a stable up bringing program for the 4th's & 3rd's, & when I had the privilege to help run the program you started I realised then how important it was to give these kids some real early exposure to being the best person they can not only on the field but off it.... That is still the main thing I miss out of the PDFL.... :thumbsu:

Not alot happening on here has anyone got any predictions at this early stage Premiers, Runner UP biggest improver and biggest slider ladder predictions.

Premier: Tungamah
R/U : Waaia
Improver: Waaia
Slide: Rennie
Ladder
Tungamah
Waaia
Katandra
Katamatite
Shepp East
Katunga
Dookie
Rennie

What about any new recruits or departures at clubs. Tungamah have lost 5 and signed 5 Jeremy O'Brien coach from Yarrawonga, Ritchie Handreck key Position player Yarrawonga, Craig Whinray tough onballer flanker Yarrawonga all premiership players with Yarra and they are still in talks with another one. Mark Betson Ruckmen from Tally, Nathyn Cook good senior player from Mulwala.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this thread as boring as the comp this year?
Only close game for the Bears was Waai and they had 18 more scoring shots or something. Shouldn't have even been that close.

This Comp must be crying out for a points and Salary cap to come into effect.

Is this thread as boring as the comp this year?
Only close game for the Bears was Waai and they had 18 more scoring shots or something. Shouldn't have even been that close.

This Comp must be crying out for a points and Salary cap to come into effect.
Enlighten us how a points and salary cap system is going to have an affect in curbing the strength of clubs with the strongest junior numbers and player retention numbers ?

Salary cap and points system isn't going to bridge the gap at all. Hard for all clubs to keep the young locals around with the majority deciding to head off to uni. Some like to come back some don't. Also hard to beat some clubs who seem to have an unlimited bank account. Salary cap means clubs have to declare that they are paying people. Doesn't and will never happen. But yes people in this side of the comp have not exactly been excited to much this year. Como was decided after the final GF siren last year. Katty were the second best side last year and couldn't get near them. Waaia the second best side this year and couldn't get near them.

Yes, a football club could declare they only pay John Doe $300 dollars a game, (but not declare they also pay him $300 dollars a week to be the clubs chief hydration officer) But if anything went pear shaped between club and player, the player would obviously go to the league and scold his now ex club.
I would assume penalties for such infringement would involve "on field point system" points being decreased the following year. Or even the clubs salary cap for the following year.
So from a club point of view, the risk of doing things under the table is not worth it. Nor would I like my club to be labelled "that club" opposition clubs would be sure to remind you of your reputation.

I think the system will work

Yes, a football club could declare they only pay John Doe $300 dollars a game, (but not declare they also pay him $300 dollars a week to be the clubs chief hydration officer) But if anything went pear shaped between club and player, the player would obviously go to the league and scold his now ex club.
I would assume penalties for such infringement would involve "on field point system" points being decreased the following year. Or even the clubs salary cap for the following year.
So from a club point of view, the risk of doing things under the table is not worth it. Nor would I like my club to be labelled "that club" opposition clubs would be sure to remind you of your reputation.

I think the system will work

Umm if things go pear shaped the player would be in as much s**t as the club probs more.
For the player That money will then become fully taxable (something I think majority don't declare) add to that if he has kids could effect family tax payments and the like, he has very good reason to keep his mouth shut. Remember club paperwork will show player x paid and contracted at $300 his wife a netballer paid $300 and money paid to her or whatever arrangement is agreed. The rest is hearsay and the act of a disgruntled player if he whistle blows. How is his reputation gunna go with other players and prospective clubs.
Do you think clubs that do these deals actually care what it does to their reputation. Hell no they couldn't give a rats.
The system is designed to make small clubs think they will benefit but it may be the very thing to bring them to their knees when it is played out and player numbers are still an issue.
Personally I wouldn't put myself in that position as a club exec but to think others wouldn't would be naive on my part if considering this proposal on behalf of my club.

I agree to the fact that there is flaws in the system, but with a little more research and planning, my opinion is it will work.
There is a threshold for tax free income generated from a hobby (I am not sure the exact amount)

If everything is ran by the books, no problem. The risks for under the table agreements would be no different to getting paid Cash in the real world (employers get crucified compared to employee's, if caught. no different to the Clubs paying Players) so the risks are by far greater for the Club than they are for the player. Most companies are smart enough to not risk it.

If your at a good club, of course the club would care about their reputation.

Is this system really the issue?
Or is the real issue Clubs and Players not wanting to pay tax?
Or is it Clubs not wanting this to be in place due to someone (CLUBS!) will have to pay administration costs eventually?
Or Clubs wanting to spend as much as they like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back