News Pie Scharenberg already up and running

Remove this Banner Ad

AH YES... your single digit draft pick who has a shattered leg and has missed an entire year must have gone UP in value....
Hopefully some VFL games at the end of the year. Wouldn't think anything more than what you said is his value. Although I would doubt he would leave at the end of the year so you'd be better of targeting Aish. Although I wouldn't suggest you go to the Brisbane board and ask them they tend to be a bit touchy on that subject.

AH YES... your single digit draft pick who has a shattered leg and has missed an entire year must have gone UP in value....
It would be more worthwhile to us to keep him and develop him as he's still a very good chance to be a player.

Not saying he's not worth a 12-15 pick should he get a few games and show something in those games in the second half of the season, but we'd be better off sticking it out and seeing what comes about in the long run I reckon. By all reports he's a great guy and leader to boot, much more than just a talent. Worth keeping around in my opinion, especially considering the picks we've had the last three or four years.

3204840swsw.gif

I stumbled onto quite an interesting article re ACL's while board last night.

It's a long read, but it might go some way towards helping people further understand the difficulties that Scharanberg is going through with his "shattered leg".

http://grantland.com/features/derrick-rose-rob-gronkowski-rise-acl-tears/

The insights into Adrian Peterson's efforts to return (worth noting that AD injured his at a similar point in the season to Caff and Schaz) are quite eye opening. Also the surgery that Kaya Turski undertook is not one that I've heard mentioned previously (it sounds like a blend of LARS and traditional), but is probably more a last shot type thing.

I stumbled onto quite an interesting article re ACL's while board last night.

It's a long read, but it might go some way towards helping people further understand the difficulties that Scharanberg is going through with his "shattered leg".

http://grantland.com/features/derrick-rose-rob-gronkowski-rise-acl-tears/

The insights into Adrian Peterson's efforts to return (worth noting that AD injured his at a similar point in the season to Caff and Schaz) are quite eye opening. Also the surgery that Kaya Turski undertook is not one that I've heard mentioned previously (it sounds like a blend of LARS and traditional), but is probably more a last shot type thing.

Great read Scodog. Thanks for sharing. Let's hope for a Peterson like recovery.

Great read Scodog. Thanks for sharing. Let's hope for a Peterson like recovery.

So we better get in touch with Charter then as Peterson more likely then not had some "assistance", PED or Roid like most the rest of the NFL and American sports.
It is rife in that country from pro sports to their Olympic athletes.

Get on the Juice Shaz and your recovery will be a breeze.:p

So we better get in touch with Charter then as Peterson more likely then not had some "assistance", PED or Roid like most the rest of the NFL and American sports.

I'd imagine there'd be a whole collection of PEDs that would be banned during competition - but athletes could and would be prescribed when going through surgery or rehab.

I'd imagine there'd be a whole collection of PEDs that would be banned during competition - but athletes could and would be prescribed when going through surgery or rehab.

They might be banned but that doesn't stop the widespread use and subsequent getting away with it.

Look how long it took the olympics to catch Johnson, Marion Jones or Cycling half the sport see Armstrong.

For every test they create to detect their is a pharmacy creating a new drug to be undetectable.

Already hard enough to detect certain ones now.

They might be banned but that doesn't stop the widespread use and subsequent getting away with it.

Look how long it took the olympics to catch Johnson, Marion Jones or Cycling half the sport see Armstrong.

For every test they create to detect their is a pharmacy creating a new drug to be undetectable.

Already hard enough to detect certain ones now.

Using banned PEDs during competition is one thing;

Using PEDs that are banned in competition but OK in surgery / rehab for surgery / rehab, and then having them out of your system long before returning to competition is something else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really want this kid to stand up and make an impact at the greatest. Club in the land.
But I'm so gunshy after thevBeams incident I'm looking to cut our losses.
Really don't want to put our resouses into someone who may spit in our face further down the track.

If we want to continue to be the greatest club in the land then we have to put every resource possible into every player on our list.

That'll also help build loyalty.

There'll always be a Dayne Beams or Dale Thomas or Lance Franklin or Gary Ablett Jnr or Taylor Adams or Luke Ball who'll leave their club for greener pastures.

We can just be thankful that we haven't been bitten badly by free agency yet. If Beams had left as a free agent we would have probably only received pick 10 rather than pick 5 + (effectively Greenwood) + Crisp.

Last edited:
Using banned PEDs during competition is one thing;

Using PEDs that are banned in competition but OK in surgery / rehab for surgery / rehab, and then having them out of your system long before returning to competition is something else.

Talking about genuine steroids and HGH more so.

Also studies are proving that Roids are still working in an athletes system up to 10 years later. May not be peaking but your muscles still produce the protein at higher rates.

#whateverittakes

It's a personal thing, but I don't have an issue with PED's to aid recovery out of competition.

If heavily regulated and undertaken in the strictest of circumstances I think it would be good to provide professional athletes the opportunity to reduce recovery periods.

It obviously raises a number of moral and ethical questions, but I think we've come far enough as a society to be able to deal with them effectively.

It's a personal thing, but I don't have an issue with PED's to aid recovery out of competition.

If heavily regulated and undertaken in the strictest of circumstances I think it would be good to provide professional athletes the opportunity to reduce recovery periods.

Agree with this

It obviously raises a number of moral and ethical questions, but I think we've come far enough as a society to be able to deal with them effectively.

Hmm, not so sure about that one. There'll still be some stigma associated with it.

Only yesterday I saw a car advertising "peptides direct" (presumably for anti-ageing) and I felt uncomfortable and confronted about it.

It would be more worthwhile to us to keep him and develop him as he's still a very good chance to be a player.

Not saying he's not worth a 12-15 pick should he get a few games and show something in those games in the second half of the season, but we'd be better off sticking it out and seeing what comes about in the long run I reckon. By all reports he's a great guy and leader to boot, much more than just a talent. Worth keeping around in my opinion, especially considering the picks we've had the last three or four years.

and I can’t see him Leaving.

Agree - Rather keep him then taking a Pick in the 12-15 range. Scharanberg could still be a Better Player then a Player you pick in that Range.

Don’t give up on him yet

and I can’t see him Leaving.

Agree - Rather keep him then taking a Pick in the 12-15 range. Scharanberg could still be a Better Player then a Player you pick in that Range.

Don’t give up on him yet
He would still command a top 10 pick if he went into the draft, so you wouldn't accept 12-15 for him.

ACL means nothing. Plenty of players have forged excellent careers after ACL surgery, Shazz will still be a gun.

He would still command a top 10 pick if he went into the draft, so you wouldn't accept 12-15 for him.

ACL means nothing. Plenty of players have forged excellent careers after ACL surgery, Shazz will still be a gun.
This.

Heard before this years draft that he'd go top 5 if he was in this years draft, even with the injury.

I wasn't just referring to PEDs though these can also help with more then recovery.

I wasn't just referring to PEDs though these can also help with more then recovery.

I don't think anyone would discount that. I'm no pharmacologist, but I imagine there are substances that can have short term effects and won't linger in the body so it is these forms of PED's that I would allow.

Much of the recovery period for an ACL is due to wastage of the leg muscles in general (many on here have commented on the ever shrinking physique of Scharanberg). With the aid of PED's under a heavily restricted program such wastage could be prevented allowing the player returning from the injury to be re-building their leg muscles at a faster rate within weeks of surgery.

That re-training period is then avoided and I imagine cuts the overall recovery time down by a number of months. Perhaps it could even negate some of the mental demons associated with the injury which according to the earlier article I referenced is the chief reason for the low success rate of players returning (in US sport anyway).

Agree with this

Hmm, not so sure about that one. There'll still be some stigma associated with it.

Only yesterday I saw a car advertising "peptides direct" (presumably for anti-ageing) and I felt uncomfortable and confronted about it.

I think that is where the discretion of a club physician needs to come into it. If you're local GP starts diagnosing PED's for every Tom, Dick and Harry recovering from surgery we've gone too far, but I think society could handle a professional athlete making use of them. Having said that though stem cells aren't yet in wide spread use so maybe there is still work to be done.

Out of interest 24 months ago would you have had the same aversion to that advertisement?

Out of interest 24 months ago would you have had the same aversion to that advertisement?

No.

But that's the point. We get hammered into us that these things are bad. We see athletes and footy clubs mercilessly pilloried on here for it - Essendon is a very different footy club now , Essendon is a very different brand now, Essendon supporters are a very different bunch of supporters now. We see Lance Armstrong falling from grace. We see the general cynism people develop about the road cycle racing industry. We see Ben Johnson top of the world, and then come crashing down.

To then say "weeeeeelll, some of these PEDs are OK under certain circumstances" ... I'm not convinced society would easily accept that.

A hypothetical, If it became public that a Carlton athlete legally took TB4 during our-of-competition recovery ... How many of our supporters would leave that one alone?

The "medical marijuana" debate is similar - it's a hugely divisive debate in the US. You have people with certain diseases who can't be treated because unfortunately the particular drug that will make them better is tainted with the reputation of being a recreational drug.

I think Peds and Steroids need to be separated here.

Steroids will recover you a million times faster then anything on this planet, but that isn't all it will do and also come with some nasty sides. Although this depends on each individual and abuse.

Also I think people either are naive in the belief of US athletes not having been on Anivar, Test, HGH at some point in their rise to stardom, hell they are even doing it in High school and College prior to drafting!

I have watched a mate tear his hammy that badly that his entire back of his leg was black then be in the gym doing Squats on it a week later, same bloke broke his hand swollen and again black 3 days later bench pressing 140kg on and it not even a wince.

It is an amazing drug in what it does to the human body in terms of recovery, strength, speed and mass gaining. Makes you superman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back