Pieman Results

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to have you back DW :thumbsu: , the suspense is killing me already for Rd 21 & 22. The Geelong game is going to be an interesting one. Grant 3 and a sprinkling to the rest.

Gia out next week could be decisive.

OK Dougy, this one's for you. ROUND 21...

Pieman Player of the Week with a record score for the season (I think) was Dylan Addison with 72. Not that DFA's effort will impress anyone in the Pieman race as he was unwanted. I mean seriously, who would have expected DFA to be kicking bags of 4 this season, or any season for that matter. (Aside: Are we allowed to call him DFA any more, now that he's one of our best defenders AND one of our best forwards?) Jason Johannisen did well with 30 points, but is also unloved in the Pieman comp.

The Perfect Pieman Team has changed a bit. Dickson (176) is now well out in front for the season with Higgins (133) in second. However Addison (126) has shot up to third and then follow Picken (112) and Cordy (96) who makes it back into the best 5. These five give a perfect possible score of 643.

Normal service is resumed on the Team front. The weekly top 4 are also the season top 4: josh the gent and Dancing Dougy shared the honours with 44 each. dogwatch had 36 and then Griff's Revenge on 26.

This means josh the gent (580) is getting out to a nearly unbeatable lead on the season leaderboard. dogwatch is 81 points behind on 499 and then Dancing Dougy who has snuck into fourth with 481, just ahead of Griff's Revenge (479). Snake Livermore (up to 5th, 384) and doggy3 (up to 6th, 373) have pushed Sights (372) back to 7th. Werewolf (141) was scoreless this week and has lost ground in trying to evade the wooden pie-dish.

Full results have now been updated at the usual link.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...6dFAwLUpKNTFxYnZibF9KZzVtd29jS0E&pli=1#gid=22

Werewolf (141) was scoreless this week and has lost ground in trying to evade the wooden pie-dish.
Dammit! :mad: At least I think I scored OK this week. Got Howard and Skinner in my team from memory :thumbsu:

Liam Jones has let me down massively this season :thumbsdown:

OK, here's the final update prior to the Brisbane game.

Round 22 (v Geelong)

Good to see us kick at least 11 goals for three weeks in a row. There was a run of seven weeks there where we kicked no more than 8 goals, except the week we played Carlton (12 goals). I think I'd rather get spanked by a big margin and have us score at least 70-80 points than get thrashed and struggle to kick 6 goals. At least there's something to cheer about once in a while. And of course, it means there's more action on the Pieman front ...

So the Pieman Player of the week against Geelong was Christian Howard (32) closely followed by Lin Jong (30), each getting on the score sheet for the first time this year. Jong was understandably not in anyone's Pieman team, but Howard featured in 3 teams. More on that shortly.

The Perfect Pieman Team is unchanged, with Higgins the only one to improve his score. Dickson (176) is still a clear leader from Higgins (140) and then Addison (126), Picken (112) and Cordy (96). That means the perfect score after Round 22 would be 650. So unless Higgins kicks at least 6 goals, Addison at least 3 or Picken at least 5 this week, it looks like Tory will be our Pieman Player of the Year.

Now here's a result that calls for a swab ... our Weekly Pieman Team winner is Werewolf who was languishing in last until he picked up 47 points through goals to Howard, Skinner and Griffen. Also benefiting from Howard's goals were Dogs 13 (44) and doggies ftw (35).

Leaderboard
With one round to go josh the gent (590) looks pretty safe for the first Pieman of the year award. dogwatch (517) gained slightly this week but would still need a huge result to challenge josh. The battle for third is tight, with Griff's Revenge (476) wresting back the spot by 2 points from Dancing Dougy (474). Snake Livermore (384) is a long way off in 5th place.

Due to his late season run, Werewolf (188) has moved off the bottom of the table, leaving Bodicifer (164) staring at the wooden pie-dish. Fitzwah (181) might also be a bit nervous in 2nd last place.

Scenarios in the final week
This week the detailed results show which players our top 4 teams have going for them. I'm assuming Cordy, Gia and Dahl won't be picked due to injury (although I haven't got a final report on Gia yet). So basically for dogwatch to win, Campbell and Skinner need to outscore josh's Picken by 74 points. Sounds like a huge ask but Campbell has a handicap of 25 so an unlikely three goals from him might be all that's needed. I'm just hoping he and Zeph get picked in the side for a start, and then Picken plays in defence. (Please, Macca!)

Idle fantasy: Wouldn't it be delicious if Picken, running into goal in time-on in the last quarter, decided not to kick but handballed over the top to Campbell waiting in the goalsquare to boot his third!

For third spot, Dancing Dougy needs Dickson and Minson to outscore GR's Higgins and Boyd by 3 points. There is also an outside chance that one or both of them could overtake dogwatch for second.

Full details and leaderboard now posted:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnEAbyKBCYU6dFAwLUpKNTFxYnZibF9KZzVtd29jS0E#gid=23

Injury riddled and choking at wrong time of year, my team is bulldogs through and through ;) c'mon Boydy give me a captains knock for the final round and Hanley and Drummond look very dangerous off half back better send Picken to one of them as a defensive forward!

Scenarios in the final week
This week the detailed results show which players our top 4 teams have going for them. I'm assuming Cordy, Gia and Dahl won't be picked due to injury (although I haven't got a final report on Gia yet). So basically for dogwatch to win, Campbell and Skinner need to outscore josh's Picken by 74 points. Sounds like a huge ask but Campbell has a handicap of 25 so an unlikely three goals from him might be all that's needed. I'm just hoping he and Zeph get picked in the side for a start, and then Picken plays in defence. (Please, Macca!)

Idle fantasy: Wouldn't it be delicious if Picken, running into goal in time-on in the last quarter, decided not to kick but handballed over the top to Campbell waiting in the goalsquare to boot his third!

For third spot, Dancing Dougy needs Dickson and Minson to outscore GR's Higgins and Boyd by 3 points. There is also an outside chance that one or both of them could overtake dogwatch for second.

Full details and leaderboard now posted:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnEAbyKBCYU6dFAwLUpKNTFxYnZibF9KZzVtd29jS0E#gid=23

Have to say, this is one of the better run competitions I've had the pleasure of participating in - awesome work dogwatch...

Best of luck to you (and Tommy C)!

Well it's all over folks. This sad, Mad Monday it is my pleasure to congratulate

josh the gent

on taking out the inaugural Pieman Team of the Year award!

Josh finished on 626 points, coasting home by 62 points over dogwatch (564) and Griff's Revenge (514).
Bodicifer wins the wooden pie dish with 174 points.

A small consolation for Bodicifer, refelecting the fact that he went with some high handicap players, is that he had the highest number of points per goal (10.88). He just didn't kick enough of them!

The weekly top three was the same as the season result, although it was dogwatch (47) winning from Griff's Revenge (38) with josh the gent (36) close up in third.

On the player front, Tom Campbell (25) was the weekly winner (but he needed to kick another 3 for dogwatch to get up ... curse you, TC!)

The Pieman Player of the Year was well-earned by Tory Dickson (184) from Shaun Higgins (154) then Dylan Addison and Liam Picken (126 each). Mitch Wallis (105) rounded out the Perfect Pieman Team (those five would have been worth 695 in total).

Full and final results have now been posted:

Thanks everyone who participated and for your kind words of support along the way.
It's been fun and we'll do it again bigger and better next year... and hopefully a lot more goals to celebrate!

Fantastic efforts dogwatch, this competition has been one of the few highlights of our season.

josh the gent as the winner as promised at the start of the competition, i'll organise getting you 12 months BFSC membership.

Edit : oops

Fantastic efforts dogwatch, this competition has been one of the few highlights of our season.

josh the gent as the winner as promised at the start of the competition, i'll organise getting you 12 months BFSC membership.
I think you mean dogwatch there Ant... haha.

But yes, thanks a lot dw. Very well run, and enjoyable (even though I went terrible :()

Congrats jtg.

edit: The world shall forever know your shame, Ant :p

I think you mean dogwatch there Ant... haha.

But yes, thanks a lot dw. Very well run, and enjoyable (even though I went terrible :()

Congrats jtg.

Yeah realised my mistake, I would've got away with my ninja edit if not for your quote. :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogwatch, huge congrats for such a fantastic competition. The Pieman has been the one thing I've looked forward to on BF each and every week. Although we have struggled on the field, the Pieman has been great entertainment off it. :thumbsu:

Hopefully the Pieman 2.0 arrives in 2013.

Congrats to Josh for being Top Dog!

Wow - thanks Dogwatch - awesome competition all season. The only gripe I have is the number of goals that the Doggies kicked this year meant the high scores weren't that high!

Thanks to Ant too for setting up the BFSC access - I didn't know there was a prize at all and was just rapt to be 'The Pieman' for 2012 :)

Wow - thanks Dogwatch - awesome competition all season. The only gripe I have is the number of goals that the Doggies kicked this year meant the high scores weren't that high!

Thanks to Ant too for setting up the BFSC access - I didn't know there was a prize at all and was just rapt to be 'The Pieman' for 2012 :)

I might see about getting a badge for your profile as well..admin dependent.

Some miscellaneous facts and figures from the Pieman season:
Most weekly wins:
5 - dogwatch :)
4 - Griff's Revenge
3 - josh the gent

Highest weekly score:
76 - Syrah (round 1!)
63 - dogwatch :D
62 - Griff's Revenge

Lowest team handicap (with their final competition ranking in brackets):
23 - GetDimmaBack (29th), granny (42nd)
24 - Buckingham (25th), Running Dog (40th)

Highest team handicap:
63 - dogwatch (2nd)
58 - Bodicifer (54th and last)
56 - cecil (43rd)

Highest weekly score by a player:
72 - Addison
60 - Williams
56 - Smith

Most popular selections:
36 - Minson
34 - Dahlhaus
25 - Giansiracusa

Biggest competition disappointments (index is determined by comparing handicaps with performance and weighted by the number of times they were picked):
-2736 - Minson
-1155 - Jones
-1020 - Griffen

Most popular overperformers (using same index as above):
+924 - Dickson
+810 - Higgins
+208 - Picken

Players picked who failed to kick a goal:
Panos - selected in six entries, handicap of 6
Hill - selected in one, handicap 20
(Hmmmm ... I must check to see if those persistently calling for Panos to get a game were advocating his case out of self-interest)

Players whose goalscoring exceeded their handicap rating: I can explain how this is calculated if you want, but it's easier just to roll with it. Basically it means how many goals did they kick above or below what the handicapper expected.
+10.50 Dickson
+ 7.71 Higgins
+ 1.86 Picken
+ 1.44 Addison
+ 0.33 Wallis
Every other player on the list was negative on this index. Not surprising, considering how few goals the side kicked. However the handicapping system is naturally skewed a bit toward the optimistic end of the scale.

Players whose goalscoring was worst against their handicap rating:
-17.00 Griffen (i.e. expected 25, only kicked 8)
-16.67 Panos
-16.00 Sherman

Love the stats. :)

Where did Vez come up in your stats. :p
Ah, yes Vesz. Do you still wake up in cold sweats about having picked him?

He was 34th overall, out of 46 on the list, but at least he got a game or two. Would have expected about 9 goals from him so he underperformed by 8. TBH I thought he wasn't a bad pick at the start of the year but in the end it was only you and BorisDawg who went for him.

Another bit of miscellany for you:
There is a slightly negative correlation between being a mod and being able to pick Pieman winners:
Unotuchable 22nd, 331 pts​
Ant 23rd, 329 pts​
Igloo 36th, 272 pts​
Mike2009 38th, 271 pts​
Make of that what you will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back