Piers Flanagan

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations to Piers, he looks a good prospect and a Clayton special, skinny, athletic kid about 6'2'', with a ton of upside.

From what I have seen he looks a HFF/Wing prospect who plays a similar role to Murphy (bulldogs version). His kicking appears to be very good over short to medium distances although he does not have great penetration over long distances. He is fast and fairly agile, although his endurance needs to improve slightly, still reasonable though IMO. He plays a lead up role as a HFF, generally outside the forward 50 although he can kick multiple goals, though not a massive goal kicker. His marking is very good on the lead, however, he is average in contested situations, he gets pushed around a bit to much for my liking, lack of muscle?. He is very outside at this stage and needs to improve his tackling, which may come by putting on muscle. Another concern is he does not put up massive numbers of disposals averages in the mid to late teens from memory, and he probably needs to find more of the ball. At this stage he is probably an athlete with ok footy smarts although this should improve, on a side note he has a lot of potential, would have gone early to mid third round IMO.

Piers is one of those kids who were destined to play AFL since they were young. He was always a cut above the rest.
Played mostly with Geelong College this year. Looking forward to seeing how his career goes.

He is in year 11 at Geelong college this year, I was in year 12. I played a bit of footy with/against him. I can proudly say I kept him scoreless in house football when I was in year 8* :D. Really great bloke. I didn't have heaps to do with him, but he was unbelievably athletic, and was always good at whatever sport he did. Great guy though, and in comparison to the competition at school level, he was an absolute freak.
Best of luck with him, and to him, as he is a natural athlete, and puts in a fair amount of effort at all times. Good footy smarts, and good skills, but this may be an area he needs to pick up in. Experience will help.

*I was playing at CHF, he was at CHB

15_PiersFlanagan.jpg

DETAILS
JUMPER # 45
DOB 31/03/1992
HEIGHT 189cm
WEIGHT 74kg
FORMER CLUB Geelong Falcons, VIC

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/the-team/player-profiles/piers-flanagan/

A gifted utility from TAC Cup club Geelong Falcons, Piers Flanagan joined the GC SUNS as an underage priority pick at the beginning of 2010.

A natural athlete with a prodigious left foot who bears a striking similarity to St Kilda’s Brendon Goddard in both physical appearance and playing style, Flanagan is a silky disposer of the ball by hand and foot and a tenacious competitor.

He showed tremendous skill and poise as a tall midfielder during his junior playing days at Geelong College and in the Geelong Falcons junior development program. Although injury robbed Flanagan of the chance to play for Vic Country at the 2009 National Championships, his prodigious talent didn’t escape the eye of GC SUNS recruiters. Nor did they escape the eyes of AIS/AFL Academy selectors who invited Flanagan to join its tour of South Africa in April 2010.

Flanagan was used predominantly as a back flanker during the club’s inaugural VFL season.

The only time I saw Piers play this year was very briefly against Brisbane in the NAB Challenge match at Southport. He looks a good size and moves well - he ain't skinny any more - I can see the resemblance to Goddard. He didn't get much of the ball (probably because the Lions were hogging it all day) but his kicking looked to be pretty good. I've seen a few posts around suggesting he get de-listed but I would be hanging onto him if the comparisons to Goddard are anywhere near the mark. Maybe someone who is closer to the club and gets to see the Reserves play can fill us in.

Found out he's apparently got hip cartilage damage and is listed as indefinite.

AFL - Gold Coast Suns Rnd 15

Player Injury Onset Estimated Return
Josh Caddy foot stress fracture Rnd 4 Indefinite
Piers Flanagan hip cartilage injury Rnd 7 Indefinite
Tom Nicholls knee injury Rnd 10 Rnd 14
Brandon Matera groin strain Rnd 10 Rnd 15
Lewis Moss hamstring strain Rnd 10 Rnd 15
Michael Croad hamstring strain Rnd 7 Rnd 20
Corey Ah Chee shoulder injury Rnd 10 End of season
Corey Ah Chee shoulder injury Rnd 13 End of season

Jeez "Corey" Ah Chee's doing it tough - injured twice ;)

http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/afl.php?sport=AFL&team=Gold%20Coast&mascot=Suns

Bump.

Anyone seen him training in the open sessions? He'll be itching to get a game in 2012 you would think.

Seems he's still completing rehab for that hip. What a long recovery! Not sure how right he'll be for round 1 since he's not going back over to Arizona.

34001d9c563811e1b9f1123138140926_7.jpg

He's not that tall, is he? Assuming that's him in the middle.

BigFootySUNS
@jfraser17 Hey mate. Tried asking on Fvourite Suns but got no reply. What's the word on Piers? How's he tracking? Set for a game in 2012?

Josh Fraser
@BigFootySUNS he's up and running! Has some bad luck last year with injuries but looks set to play some footy this year. Moving well.

Played his best game to date for us a couple of weeks ago against Broadbeach. Played a lot in the midfield, where his agility was just a cut above the rest. How he can move so suddenly in random directions at that pace and not get muscle tears is beyond me, but he was dancing around them like hats.

Fitness slowly seems to be increasing, and certainly one to keep an eye on. With us getting so many injuries this year, I really wouldn't be surprised to see him debut at some point this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent! Good luck to Piers. Hope he really comes on and pushes again to get onto another AFL list.

Seems like a really switched on kid, so hopefully he's able to get another crack at it. Was he just victim of Suns extremely talented list and fact you had to cut so many players? Or more all his injuries and didnt really live upto his potential?

Seems like a really switched on kid, so hopefully he's able to get another crack at it. Was he just victim of Suns extremely talented list and fact you had to cut so many players? Or more all his injuries and didnt really live upto his potential?
The latter. He was just injured all the time. He spent most of his three season in rehab with quite serious problems. Every time he would try to get a run at it in the NEAFL, maybe 2-3 games in, he'd injure himself again. The only time he got any sort of continuity was right at the end of his time with us, and even then it wasn't a lot. We were forced to pick him for seniors with our own huge injury list at the time. If our injury list wasn't so bad he may never have player a senior game.

I'd say those injuries have robbed him of the talent/skills he once had, and he's starting quite a bit behind others considering he missed out on nearly 3 years of development. But if he keeps working hard, who knows?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back