Analysis Pies awesome Anzac Day win. Match review

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Grundy struggles to run games out at the moment, I'd bring Witts in for Gault next week against Carlton, we need to trial 2 real ruckmen before we run into some stronger teams.

Agree - Was in the Best in the 1st half but he does not have a big engine yet and dropped off a bit in the 2nd Half but was still good.

IF Witts plays a Full Game Tomorrow I would bring him in vs the Scum

Broomhead, Oxley & White only negatives out of todays game, all really poor. Broomhead & Oxley especially, consideringboth coming off quite good games

Yeah - Broomhead needs to get more of the Ball. Oxley Tired and Also White and Gault did not give much help to Cloke when Forward and Grundy in the Ruck

He pulled out of a few contests too which was a pretty bad look considering his size and the blokes he was up against (happened more than once). Here's hoping Witts comes in for White next week.
Noticed that, also took his eyes off the ball when he went up for a big grab in front of goal and dropped it, disappointing game. Might be a great athlete but not a natural footballer from what I've seen. Doesn't read the play well, isn't a good mark and doesn't use his size to advantage.

And on a side note. People calling Gault a spud, useless etc pull your fu***ing heads in. He has played 3 games of AFL and is playing one of the most difficult positions on the ground. Yes he had a poor game and he will have poor games and good games in the future. He is learning the game at this level so expect some inconsistent performances. Too many people on this board expect way too much from new players.
Better for Gault to learn the game in the VFL. Structural inclusion or not, there are more accomplished players available to play his role.

Incidentally, Dawes looked sharp for Melbourne last night and actually played the 2nd ruck role reasonably well. He was decidedly more useful than Gault and White combined.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noticed that, also took his eyes off the ball when he went up for a big grab in front of goal and dropped it, disappointing game. Might be a great athlete but not a natural footballer from what I've seen. Doesn't read the play well, isn't a good mark and doesn't use his size to advantage.
If you watch him you will notice that he consistently takes his eyes off the ball. Failing to do the most basic element of any ball sport. Keep your eyes on the ball. I have noticed it on many occasions. His hands will be up in the air and his eyes are looking forward and not at the ball.

If anyone wants to see Adams at his very best (Foxtel is ideal) record and rewind to when Adams chases down Goddard on the boundary, tackles him for holding the ball then gives it too him. I just love that by Adams, his grunt and his passion is something I admire, I don't mine if he turns it over a few times a game, the way he goes about it and his impact in contests is enough for me. Always in supporting a mate, going hard at the ball and giving it to the opposition. I thought we got shafted with the shaw trade but this years he's proving me wrong, he's the perfect luke ball replacement, he's a little bull. Was second best on ground today after Seedsman, much man love for Adams!

How hard must it be for the bombers to play without their injections? Take a bit of pity on em....yeah nah.

If anyone wants to see Adams at his very best (Foxtel is ideal) record and rewind to when Adams chases down Goddard on the boundary, tackles him for holding the ball then gives it too him. I just love that by Adams, his grunt and his passion is something I admire, I don't mine if he turns it over a few times a game, the way he goes about it and his impact in contests is enough for me. Always in supporting a mate, going hard at the ball and giving it to the opposition. I thought we got shafted with the shaw trade but this years he's proving me wrong, he's the perfect luke ball replacement, he's a little bull. Was second best on ground today after Seedsman, much man love for Adams!

Yep agreed.

He has been in the best 3 or 4 players in all matches he has played this year. He has taken the next step and has really filled the void at stoppages left by Ball and Beams.

Broomhead, Oxley & White only negatives out of todays game, all really poor. Broomhead & Oxley especially, consideringboth coming off quite good games
Very young and inexperienced, so there will be inconsistent performances and you'll see that might happen to our side some weeks as well. I still hold Broomhead in high regards and Oxley has done some nice things too which have impressed me.

Yeah there were a few instances like that today. Another one had Seedsman getting pushed around by Daniher near the boundary line..."the Bash Brothers (Marley and Frosty) arrived and quickly sat Daniher and another chirpy bomber on their pants and helped Seedy up...it was great watching our youngsters take it up to the arrogant bomber players. Crispy really got stuck into Heppell after half time too....he never takes a backward step our Crispo...what must the Lions be thinking now?

Very young and inexperienced, so there will be inconsistent performances and you'll see that might happen to our side some weeks as well. I still hold Broomhead in high regards and Oxley has done some nice things too which have impressed me.
And?

Im well aware of all this, but can only make comment on what was put in front of me today - they were disappointing in my eyes, clearly

Yeah there were a few instances like that today. Another one had Seedsman getting pushed around by Daniher near the boundary line..."the Bash Brothers (Marley and Frosty) arrived and quickly sat Daniher and another chirpy bomber on their pants and helped Seedy up...it was great watching our youngsters take it up to the arrogant bomber players. Crispy really got stuck into Heppell after half time too....he never takes a backward step our Crispo...what must the Lions be thinking now?
Saw that and loved it, somehow I knew Marley would be in there, he loved a scrap doesn't he ;) the whole side today was awesome and backed eachother, I loved it and I love how Buckley is raising this team.
Lions are thinking "oh s**t we f*****d up now" I think De Goey, Greenwood and Crisp for beams is a bargain!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back