News Pies keen on Aish

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these South Australian's sullen looking or what?

Broomhead looked like he'd killed someone when the boys got around his goal on Friday.

He's the only one I'm worried about returning home. Maybe because he's almost emotionless, I don't know.

* this s**t... some unsubstantiated rumour gets floated and then the glass half full guys loki04 run with it.

Unless there is at least an article for the glass half full crew to whine about, it could come from mark 'ben will miss a month' stevens and that might be enuff...

But if all it is is that some poster on a bulletin board has floated the idea of broomy leaving and thats all u got then ffs give it a rest....

**** this s**t... some unsubstantiated rumour gets floated and then the glass half full guys loki04 run with it.

Unless there is at least an article for the glass half full crew to whine about, it could come from mark 'ben will miss a month' stevens and that might be enuff...

But if all it is is that some poster on a bulletin board has floated the idea of broomy leaving and thats all u got then ffs give it a rest....

Hope you're right.

**** this s**t... some unsubstantiated rumour gets floated and then the glass half full guys loki04 run with it.

Never said he was off just said 'may' and when the same poster is undoubtedly a rello of said player being the one dropping hints it makes people wonder.

My whole point was dont gloat too soon when we have a player rumoured to be about the "money/job" not the "love" or playing for a big club fandom etc" and is from SA.

You can think what you want but I seen enough of these unsuibstantiated rumours turn out to be 100% on the money to be niave enough to just dismiss it without a second thought especially when it comes from a poster who has leaked correct info before. EVen then he never said he was off rather hinted at the fact it is a possiblilty.
So before you squeal that I and others are pissing in your cornflakes get it right, I am not saying HE will leave I am saying he is a CHANCE to leave and have my reservations. As I have stated repeatedly hopefully he stays and signs on for 3 years next time.

That same bus may stop past us when Broomheads contracts up.
Maybe, but we've cleared that hurdle once already now. Hopefully after 4 years in Melbourne he will be well and truly comfortable and happy here.
Not sure why it would be karma if he went though, it's not like we've wrestled any players away from Adelaide teams who were under contract....

I don't understand why everyone is so excited about this. He will cost a top a top 10 pick and I don't think he's shown anything at AFL level to suggest he's worth it. We'd be much better off using that pick in the draft which is something we know we're good at.

I don't understand why everyone is so excited about this. He will cost a top a top 10 pick and I don't think he's shown anything at AFL level to suggest he's worth it. We'd be much better off using that pick in the draft which is something we know we're good at.
Being so slenderly built he was always going to take time to see his best.

He was a top 10 pick, played 21 games in his first season, averaged nearly 18 disposals and was a favorite for rising star? What more would he need to do to warrant a top 10 pick in a trade??? :eek:

Yet we are excited out of our skins about Freeman and Shaz who have played a combined zero games.

I dont profess to be an expert on Aish but I assume he can play. The only question is whether there are better, equally (or more) available options.

It stands to reason that a top ten player will cost a top ten pick. More, considering they have had an extra preaseaosn and a year in the system.

I hope it's just S.A. water but a lot of the South Australian boys look like a bunch of slapped arses. Grundy, Broomhead, Scharenberg - they all look terribly miserable.

Not the best way to have our boys stay around the club.... Surely wouldn't feel nice knowing that the fan base would avoid having sex with them at all costs.
We should be more forgiving.... For the greater good and all.

Not the best way to have our boys stay around the club.... Surely wouldn't feel nice knowing that the fan base would avoid having sex with them at all costs.
We should be more forgiving.... For the greater good and all.

I'll play my part, will you too Wicksy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being so slenderly built he was always going to take time to see his best.
He was a top 10 pick, played 21 games in his first season, averaged nearly 18 disposals and was a favorite for rising star? What more would he need to do to warrant a top 10 pick in a trade??? :eek:
Yet we are excited out of our skins about Freeman and Shaz who have played a combined zero games.

I dont profess to be an expert on Aish but I assume he can play. The only question is whether there are better, equally (or more) available options.

It stands to reason that a top ten player will cost a top ten pick. More, considering they have had an extra preaseaosn and a year in the system.
From what I've seen he's slow, of slight build and has shaky hands under pressure. I don't see that much scope for improvement and think he's very one dimensional in that he can only as a wide midfielder - he will be worked out by top teams just like they worked out Gaff (although he's basically a not as talented version). Lastly, playing 20 h&a games for Brisbane is nothing to brag about, especially considering the way they used him. To recruit him we will likely have to be pay Brisbane above odds and pay him above odds. Overpaying for slightly above average players (if he is even that) is not the pathway to success imo.

Unless this draft is a total bust - and hopefully this doesn't become a Knightmare adoration thread given his downbeat view of Bontempelli amongst others - I reckon we might do best just to keep going into the draft and rebuilding. It will help us even out our list age profile and cap spend.

I reckon we need 24-26 year old champions or just return to the draft pool. It's going to cost a lot to prize contracted players out and I don't know that it's worthwhile. We should go for Dangerfield who is young and fits the profile with no draft hit, but otherwise maybe we just front end young player contracts so we have some space later to top up.

Geelong and Hawthorn never took in mid-age stars which would have kinked their salary cap and list. They took in late career champions who were cheap and topped up a solid list, as we did with Jolly and Ball.

Unless this draft is a total bust - and hopefully this doesn't become a Knightmare adoration thread given his downbeat view of Bontempelli amongst others - I reckon we might do best just to keep going into the draft and rebuilding. It will help us even out our list age profile and cap spend.

I dont consider that trading a first round pick for a third year player is anything BUT rebuilding. 18 year old, 20 year old....same same. I'm not suggesting we trade our pick away for somebody in their mid 20's or older.

This is obviously not a broomhead thread. But I would find it amazing if he was already thinking about leaving when he signed 6 months ago when he could.of left much earlier, especially when I believe he's in our best 22 hopefully the club does too and hopefully.he can back up his st kilda performance.

But reality is, he's from another state, it doesn't matter if QLD, SA, WA or NSW they will always been targeted by their home clubs, otherwise they wouldn't be doing their duedilligence. By the end of 2016, if we're playing good footy and back in finals I'm going to back in our environment to make him stay. Only reason people get nervy now is because we're not winning like we used too. When you win everything is rosey and positive.

I dont consider that trading a first round pick for a third year player is anything BUT rebuilding. 18 year old, 20 year old....same same. I'm not suggesting we trade our pick away for somebody in their mid 20's or older.

It's rebuilding Timmy, but what I have an issue with is the cost. Unless Aish nominates us as his destination of choice, we are likely to pay a premium in cap space or draft picks, probably both.

If we're patient we can get someone like that this year with our natural pick. A good team needs to spread the cap load across ages like a conveyor belt. You step in as a potential A grader, you get potential A grade money, then you move into pure A grade money as our aged A graders drop off the edge.

If we have too many players of quality at the same age then we get a bulge we can't satisfy. I'd prefer we wait and export talent than pay over the odds.

Yep cap management always an issue. Good problem to have if it means your list is on the improve. I dont think we should rule out picking up a potential 10 year jet though for the sake of a few dollars. A draftee might be cheaper but not for long if he is also a jet and puts his hand up for more money.

If we end up with a Geelong-like list that wins us three flags and all retire ten years later within 2-3 years of each other, are we really going to care? I'd be concerned if all our players were 29, but I'm not concerned if they are all 21. Happy to cross that bridge down the track.

Last edited:
From what I've seen he's slow, of slight build and has shaky hands under pressure. I don't see that much scope for improvement and think he's very one dimensional in that he can only as a wide midfielder - he will be worked out by top teams just like they worked out Gaff (although he's basically a not as talented version). Lastly, playing 20 h&a games for Brisbane is nothing to brag about, especially considering the way they used him. To recruit him we will likely have to be pay Brisbane above odds and pay him above odds. Overpaying for slightly above average players (if he is even that) is not the pathway to success imo.
I think you're very wrong about him, but you're welcome to your opinion.

I don't think we would have to pay Brisbane above the odds for him. If he nominates a club then Brisbane would have considerably less bargaining power than we did with Beams, given he's out of contract and can simply walk to the PSD. Brisbane had the same issue with their 'go home 5' and ended up with deals that weren't particularly great. I think they ended up with a late first rounder for Polec, who they'd used pick 5 on 2 years beforehand.

Their best case scenario is that they'll get what he's worth, worst case is they will get reamed. Highly unlikely that anyone will pay over the odds unless they are completely desperate (see Carlton), in which case, they're welcome to him.

Teams have worked out Gaff because West Coast's midfield is shitest in the AFL.

Yep cap management always an issue. Good problem to have of it means your list is on the improve. I dont think we should rule out picking up a potential 10 year jet though for the sake of a few dollars. A draftee might be cheaper but not for long if he is also a jet and puts his hand up for more money.

No-one can fit a bunch of A graders of the same age into a list.

If you have say 6 of the same age at their peak, then that's probably almost half the cap. If you have 2 entering their peak, 2 in their peak and 2 at the end, then that's a different equation.

This is obviously not a broomhead thread. But I would find it amazing if he was already thinking about leaving when he signed 6 months ago when he could.of left much earlier, especially when I believe he's in our best 22 hopefully the club does too and hopefully.he can back up his st kilda performance.

But reality is, he's from another state, it doesn't matter if QLD, SA, WA or NSW they will always been targeted by their home clubs, otherwise they wouldn't be doing their duedilligence. By the end of 2016, if we're playing good footy and back in finals I'm going to back in our environment to make him stay. Only reason people get nervy now is because we're not winning like we used too. When you win everything is rosey and positive.

I could understand someone wanting to leave Brisbane to go back to Adelaide, but leaving Melbourne to go back to Adelaide just doesn't make sense. :drunk:

Most former Adelaideans I speak to are glad they left. Especially the ones with no family. Not much going on there...

I don't think we should be getting hung up regarding Broomy. He's a good footballer but I'm sure we'll get adequate compensation should he return home. If players have their heart set on returning home than we should try and do what we can fairly as I don't see the benefits in keeping disgruntled players.

We should be working out ways to further improve retention and tbh, we are a powerful club with state of the art facilities but we are just missing that one thing that young players would kill for and that's playing in a competitive team if they aren't at home. Trouble is now Adelaide are entering a phase where they are able to provide a shot at a flag potentially in the next 3 years should they keep Dangerfield, Sloane, Tex and any others that haven't signed. Maybe Tex and Sloane have actually, I don't know.

We should have some form of internal review IMO looking at a range of on and off field departments and outputs over the next 12 months and really determine what is and what isn't working, because something is a miss IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back