Pies Keen on Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think you recruit these guys just for the sake of recruiting them. I think you need to get the right fit, someone who is worth the financial investment. You would want someone with some natural ball handling abilities and damn strong work ethic and drive. To go with the athletic qualities. This I think would be critical in bridging that gap as quickly as possible from someone with footy skills, and someone beginning with none.

Yeah, We have no Mention with him and North are Pushing Super Hard

Having a fellow Yank at their club to help mitigate the homesickness/culture shock helps...

Having a fellow Yank at their club to help mitigate the homesickness/culture shock helps...

We still have Shae who is out here playing Basketball still

I don't think you recruit these guys just for the sake of recruiting them. I think you need to get the right fit, someone who is worth the financial investment. You would want someone with some natural ball handling abilities and damn strong work ethic and drive. To go with the athletic qualities. This I think would be critical in bridging that gap as quickly as possible from someone with footy skills, and someone beginning with none.

Spot On and I dare say Hine would be very high on the Drive and Ethic that this kid could have

Next time I update my phantom draft thread I'll have a Mason Cox bio complete.

Thought I'd offer a little spoiler:
Mason Cox (USA – Ruck)
Height: 211cm, Weight: 105kg, DOB:
Recruited from: USA
Style: Dean Cox
Player comparison:
Range: Category 2 Rookie
Profile: Rare height, rare athlete, rare co-ordination. Cox has testing off the charts for a guy his height with his pace, agility, endurance and leaping ability all exceptional for someone at his height. Looking at his highlight tapes you can see how well he reads the ball in the air and his ability to leap and take the mark at the highest point which will be a weapon down the track when he starts doing it routinely. Also incredibly impressive is how clean he is picking up the ball from the ground, he picks it up cleanly and better than probably any ruckman in the competition off the deck. With his leap at his height he’ll also be able to get the ruck tap over anyone. Skills by hand and foot are a work in progress but they’ll eventually improve. He’s also not all that strongly build which is hardly surprising given his athletic traits and as a result of this body on body will lose lots of contests and lose many of the ruck taps if his guy can put a body on him. Lots to like!

*It doesn't take much footage to know what he can do. The basics are in looking at how he moves and his athletic traits, how easily and cleanly he picks it up off the deck and how he can take a grab overhead. For a free hit and as a category 2 rookie it's a no brainer to take the guy as he doesn't take up a list position. It's just that simple. Doesn't mean he's a guaranteed hit and he's not coming in year one and contributing. He'll need his time to develop so you probably take Cox and another guy as a more immediate depth option but in a league without this kind of height and with his midfielder like movement I can't help but like his chances.

Mason Cox (USA – Ruck)
Player comparison:
Profile: Rare height, rare athlete, rare co-ordination. Cox has testing off the charts for a guy his height with his pace, agility, endurance and leaping ability all exceptional for someone at his height. Looking at his highlight tapes you can see how well he reads the ball in the air and his ability to leap and take the mark at the highest point which will be a weapon down the track when he starts doing it routinely. Also incredibly impressive is how clean he is picking up the ball from the ground, he picks it up cleanly and better than probably any ruckman in the competition off the deck. With his leap at his height he’ll also be able to get the ruck tap over anyone. Skills by hand and foot are a work in progress but they’ll eventually improve. He’s also not all that strongly build which is hardly surprising given his athletic traits and as a result of this body on body will lose lots of contests and lose many of the ruck taps if his guy can put a body on him. Lots to like!

*It doesn't take much footage to know what he can do. The basics are in looking at how he moves and his athletic traits, how easily and cleanly he picks it up off the deck and how he can take a grab overhead. For a free hit and as a category 2 rookie it's a no brainer to take the guy as he doesn't take up a list position. It's just that simple. Doesn't mean he's a guaranteed hit and he's not coming in year one and contributing. He'll need his time to develop so you probably take Cox and another guy as a more immediate depth option but in a league without this kind of height and with his midfielder like movement I can't help but like his chances.

He is not in a Draft Prospect. Team can just Sign him when he wants to Sign

We still have Shae who is out here playing Basketball still

So what?

Wallace is around his club day in, day out. He'd be with Cox every day in their work environment, providing a fellow traveler shoulder to lean on as they go through the hard yards of trying to make a career in a foreign sport in a foreign land.

Shae, on the other hand, is just some Yank playing basketball in some minor league out in the suburbs who is no longer at our club. In a club setting, Cox would very much be on his own, especially if fellow international rookies in Clarke and Mooney are sent packing at the end of the year...

So what?

Wallace is around his club day in, day out. He'd be with Cox every day in their work environment, providing a fellow traveler shoulder to lean on as they go through the hard yards of trying to make a career in a foreign sport in a foreign land.

Shae, on the other hand, is just some Yank playing basketball in some minor league out in the suburbs who is no longer at our club. In a club setting, Cox would very much be on his own, especially if fellow international rookies in Clarke and Mooney are sent packing at the end of the year...

Well, in the interview from TAC Cup Future Stars he said he wants to go to the Club that gives him the best Chance of developing and we know where that is at.

Well Shae could tell him about his Experience at the Club

Well, in the interview from TAC Cup Future Stars he said he wants to go to the Club that gives him the best Chance of developing and we know where that is at.

Yes, Shae could maybe tell him what it was like at Collingwood (hope not, because that might put him off signing with us!:eek:). But during the long hard summers, going through grueling pre-seasons, having a fellow traveler a long way from home next to you on the training track or in the locker room, who can best empathize with what you're going through, might be an attractive coping mechanism.

I'm just saying, the bloke might have the best of intentions in saying he wants to go where he would get the best out of himself, but those good intentions are prone to introspective questioning and soul-searching at times. Emotion can sometimes overcome professionalism.

Anyway, I hope he does decide to sign with us. 211cm blokes who can move like he does don't exactly grow on trees. And as a Category B rookie, he takes up nothing besides a rookie salary and a high guernsey number in the 40s...

Yes, Shae could maybe tell him what it was like at Collingwood (hope not, because that might put him off signing with us!:eek:). But during the long hard summers, going through grueling pre-seasons, having a fellow traveler a long way from home next to you on the training track or in the locker room, who can best empathize with what you're going through, might be an attractive coping mechanism.

I'm just saying, the bloke might have the best of intentions in saying he wants to go where he would get the best out of himself, but those good intentions are prone to introspective questioning and soul-searching at times. Emotion can sometimes overcome professionalism.

Anyway, I hope he does decide to sign with us. 211cm blokes who can move like he does don't exactly grow on trees. And as a Category B rookie, he takes up nothing besides a rookie salary and a high guernsey number in the 40s...

Agree, Wallace for north is something that be a big advantage but hey he might also not get along with Wallace that well.

He might find someone who could be a Great Mate at another Club as well. Just does not have to be a Yank.

Also they would have to Match what his Job Offer is back in America

Mason Cox (USA – Ruck)
Player comparison:

Really? Throw the ball along the deck in open space and any AFL standard player wil gather it like you or I would a pen off the floor.

Put 360 degree pressure on him with the likes of Natanui and Mumford ready to nail him in a tackle and we'll see how it goes! I think you should wait to see him in competitive action at VFL or WAFL level v experienced footballers before forming that sort of opinion.

Don't get me wrong he has a number of desirable attributes I just don't think that is one that can be measured accurately unless under duress.

So what?

Offer him 10 grand a year more than Norf and then see how attractive being at the same club as a fellow Yank is ;)

Really? Throw the ball along the deck in open space and any AFL standard player wil gather it like you or I would a pen off the floor.

Put 360 degree pressure on him with the likes of Natanui and Mumford ready to nail him in a tackle and we'll see how it goes! I think you should wait to see him in competitive action at VFL or WAFL level v experienced footballers before forming that sort of opinion.

Don't get me wrong he has a number of desirable attributes I just don't think that is one that can be measured accurately unless under duress.

I agree. I think Knight is also overstating the athletic potential of Cox. Put 10-15 kilos on him (which he will need if he is to make AFL grade) and his testing numbers will come down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't pick a ruckman like Cox unless he showed an ability to both a) win hitouts consistently, and b) take contested marks. The athleticism and 'ability below his knees' is just icing.

It's the Josh Fraser syndrome. If he can't mark (which is the issue we are seeing with Witts and possibly Frundy right now) then his size is wasted. If his size is wasted, then you need to start comparing his athletic traits against those much shorter than him. If you start comparing his athletic traits against those much shorter than him, his athletic traits don't look all that good...

It is all well and good to say he can move better than those at his height (which incidentally is just Sandi and witts - he is a far poorer mover than someone like NicNat), but if he isn't strong overhead for someone of his height then there is no point.

Happy for us to draft him, but let's not kid ourselves - he has an extremely small chance of making it.

I agree. I think Knight is also overstating the athletic potential of Cox. Put 10-15 kilos on him (which he will need if he is to make AFL grade) and his testing numbers will come down.

He is already 105kgs, why do you need to put more muscle on him?

Where?

Not Collingwood, surely? :eek:

There'd be other clubs that he'd have a much better chance of getting a game at. And our history of developing ruckmen hasn't exactly been grand.

Would that be a good thing? I didn't think Shae was too happy about us when he left?

Are you for real? Have you seen his build? Just for comparison, Sandilands weighs 122kg and Witts weighs 113kg and is still building his frame I bet.

105kg at 211cm is skinny. He will be monstered by the stronger rucks at his current weight.

Because if he doesn't he'll snap in half, and the trainers will have to call for the sticky tape.

Got all the traits, but hasn't cracked it at basketball or soccer so I doubt him picking up a completely foreign game is going to yield much better results.

He is a free hit though so we have nothing to lose if he did choose us. I'd say Marsh is a more likely option though.

Take Majak Daw as an example. He is the weakest 100kg AFL footballer I have seen in some time. Guys that give away 10 kg push him off the ball regularly.

People that aren't born to the game just don't know how to use their body as well as imports. IMO, he'll need 15-20 kg's and 3-4 seasons before he's able to hold his own even against a guy like Grundy.

It leaves him with a pretty limited window, but giving yourself a chance is the first step.

Take Majak Daw as an example. He is the weakest 100kg AFL footballer I have seen in some time. Guys that give away 10 kg push him off the ball regularly.

People that aren't born to the game just don't know how to use their body as well as imports. IMO, he'll need 15-20 kg's and 3-4 seasons before he's able to hold his own even against a guy like Grundy.

It leaves him with a pretty limited window, but giving yourself a chance is the first step.

That's something I noticed with Witts. Despite being a man mountain and coming from a rugby background, I've seen him pushed off the ball far too easily!

That observation is a bit dated now. He seems to have improved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back