List Mgmt. Pies list changes for 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you rather keep Gault in 2016 or take a punt on a high risk high return "Abbott" type rookie with his rookie spot?

Maybe the club see something in Gault that we don't.

Yes it appears Abbott has been cut.

We'll all back the pros, but the point of this forum is for opinions
My thoughts are that he's 23 or 24, good size, has experience in the system and is the type of player we need to come on. Will he, no, not IMO but I'm happy enough to watch him go around again most likely in the VFL. I'm happy for the club to reward guys that show improvement both on and off the track and I'm confident enough that if he wasn't putting 100% in that he would be gone.

List lodgement 1 (Friday 30 October)

IN
Jeremy Howe (Melbourne)
Adam Treloar (GWS Giants)
James Aish (Brisbane Lions)
Darrean Wyatt (Category B rookie)

OUT
Patrick Karnezis (retired)
Clinton Young (retired)
Sam Dwyer (delisted)
Tony Armstrong (delisted)
Michael Manteit (delisted)
Brenden Abbott (delisted)
Paul Seedsman (traded to Adelaide)
Ben Kennedy (traded to Melbourne)
Nathan Freeman (traded to St Kilda)

Keeffe and Thomas off Senior List onto Rookie List

5 places to be filled
Assumes 3 in Draft and 2 Rookied

And how many years of him struggling in the VFL does he get exactly?

Hasn't yet had a season without debilitating injuries so I guess that buys him some time. I liked what I saw of him in his first season but he was such a skinny kid and played mostly as a tall HFFer. Lets not forget that he'd grown 10cm in his draft year which saw him change from a midfielder to a KPP prospect. Since then he's transformed his body and who can say what toll that has taken through that process.

Kid is reasonably quick and agile for his size, can clunk a good contested mark, can take a run in the ruck, and is a thinking footballer.

Ultimately he's costing us 3/5s of FA and provides useful depth. I'm not sure what the issue is with giving him another year on the rookie list. If he had to be promoted to the senior list then I'd think he may well have been cut.

BJ, I make it 6. Wyatt doesn't count as he's a Cat B.

Frost, Keeffe, Thomas changes cancel themselves out when you're looking at overall list numbers.

BJ, I make it 6. Wyatt doesn't count as he's a Cat B.

Frost, Keeffe, Thomas changes cancel themselves out when you're looking at overall list numbers.
As I understand it all rookies (whether Cat A or Cat B) count towards overall list size (47).
Cat B just add to the mix of the total number, in other words Cat B rookies are counted towards the total number of 47

At least that is how it is explained by the AFL record (page 380 under the heading List Size)

As I understand it all rookies (whether Cat A or Cat B) count towards overall list size (47).
Cat B just add to the mix of the total number, in other words Cat B rookies are counted towards the total number of 47

At least that is how it is explained by the AFL record (page 380 under the heading List Size)

Yep, that's correct. But we've lost 9 (excluding Frost, Keeffe and Thomas movement) and regained 3 from our list of 44 (excluding Cat B's). That makes 6 to get.

Not quite the luckiest I asked this in the stats forum

and got this reply
What about that ruckman that was on Hawthorns list, then made his debut and kicked 3 goals, was trade to Adelaide and i dont think hes played a game since?
2008 draftee i think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, thanks for that, much appreciated.
So how do we exclude Wyatt or is he one of the 6?
If so would that make 5 more to fill?

Wyatt becomes player 46 on the list of 47 you've listed including Cat B but it's players 39-44 we need. Cox is player 45.

Ok, thanks for that, much appreciated.
So how do we exclude Wyatt or is he one of the 6?
If so would that make 5 more to fill?
We must have a minimum of 44 on our list.
In addition to that we may (our choice), have up to 3 Cat B, hence the 47.
We currently have 35 on our senior list (including 3 new recruits + Frost upgrade).
We have 1 rookie (Gault) plus 2 more rookies to add (Keeffe & Thomas).
That brings our total to 38.
We are 6 short.
In addition to this we have Cox & Wyatt.
That will bring our list to 46 for season 2016.
We definitely must still bring in 6 more players.
Combination of Draft, maybe DFA & Rookie draft.
We may choose to go with senior list of 38 plus 6 Cat A rookies, plus 2 Cat B rookies.
Then upgrade 2 Cat A rookies in March 2016.

We must have a minimum of 44 on our list.
In addition to that we may (our choice), have up to 3 Cat B, hence the 47.
We currently have 35 on our senior list (including 3 new recruits + Frost upgrade).
We have 1 rookie (Gault) plus 2 more rookies to add (Keeffe & Thomas).
That brings our total to 38.
We are 6 short.
In addition to this we have Cox & Wyatt.
That will bring our list to 46 for season 2016.
We definitely must still bring in 6 more players.
Combination of Draft, maybe DFA & Rookie draft.
We may choose to go with senior list of 38 plus 6 Cat A rookies, plus 2 Cat B rookies.
Then upgrade 2 Cat A rookies in March 2016.
Nice summary.

In short, at least 3 more players have to be added to our senior list and 3 new rookies to our overall list.

It appears likely we are only going with a senior list of 38. There's isn't many really appealing DFA's, so perhaps we are hitting the draft with 3 newbies.

I prefer we opt for a DFA that only has a year on the senior list and just draft (hand 2 year deals) to a couple of draftees.

Flipside, could we draft 3 to the senior list, and look to move one or more to the rookie list in 2017, should they show little. Any rookie picks this year are likely to be massive longshots given the reports of the draft depth and unlikely to last past a year.

To steal from 1892's post earlier in the thread listing the changes and not suggesting like for like or direct replacements...

34 - Dwyer -> Howe
35 - Young -> Treloar
36 - Karnezis -> Aish
37 - Seedsman -> ???
38 - Kennedy -> ???
39 - Freeman -> ???
40 - Dwyer -> ???

Rookie 1 - Abbott - > ???
Rookie 2 - Armstrong -> ???
Rookie 3 - Manteit -> Thomas
Rookie 4 - Frost -> Keeffe

Rookie Category B 1 - Cox
Rookie Category B 2 - not used -> Wyatt
Rookie Category B 3 - not used

To steal from 1892's post earlier in the thread listing the changes and not suggesting like for like or direct replacements...

34 - Dwyer -> Howe
35 - Young -> Treloar
36 - Karnezis -> Aish
37 - Seedsman -> ???
38 - Kennedy -> ???
39 - Freeman -> ???
40 - Dwyer -> ???

Rookie 1 - Abbott - > ???
Rookie 2 - Armstrong -> ???
Rookie 3 - Manteit -> Thomas
Rookie 4 - Frost -> Keeffe

Rookie Category B 1 - Cox
Rookie Category B 2 - not used -> Wyatt
Rookie Category B 3 - not used
You could add Frost for Seedsman @ 37

You could add Frost for Seedsman @ 37

Yeah, but then you have to add Keeffe and Thomas of the senior list and reduce the senior list to 39 as we started 2015 with 39-5... it gets ugly and I was trying to keep it simple.

Yeah, but then you have to add Keeffe and Thomas of the senior list and reduce the senior list to 39 as we started 2015 with 39-5... it gets ugly and I was trying to keep it simple.
Imagine if someone else drafts Thomas and/or Keeffe!!

Imagine if someone else drafts Thomas and/or Keeffe!!

Could happen. While I think they both have senior potential, I wouldn't actually be too shattered if it did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back