Pies look at own stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Well you just reduced last years revenue by 11 mill now you are saying 8 mill of this years cash is the grant. You stuffed up there it was not a 19 million dollar grant
no that 11 million was included. 8 million of it spend with the rest to spend, that lot was added in to the pies profit!

Look at the chart. Every club has a green section except Port.

I would've thought Port made at least something (ticket sales, memberships, merch etc.) from their supporter base.

You clearly have no idea about the current situation with SMA SANFL and Adelaide oval do you? Half of those things you mentioned we don't get the cash flow.

Both SA clubs were top 4 for crowds and memberships. It was the joke of a stadium deal that saw us make a loss and the crows a tiny profit. Nothing to do with how our club ran.

Hence the review which is happening now.

read the report a bit more closely!
there is also a 10 million advance that westpac gave the pies as part of sponsorship deal! but i will need to find the article!
That $10m advance was from last gear when they had a trading profit of $13.8M but declared $3.8m profit. Unless people understand finance or a simple p&l they will not get a picture on how clubs fare. If you need to look for your clubs statements, 2014 financial statements are available on their website as all clubs will be, it's by law to have it accessible. The issue for the clubs that keep turning a profit is what to so with it. We have a salary cap, now a footy dept cap. .....

exactly the eagles are easily the richest team in the comp
followed by
Essendon
collingwood, pending on govgrantst grands & poker machine revenue
hawthorn, pending on winnings from the AFL & tassie governments, selling of home games & poke machines

The Eagles are a different case though. As a subsidiary of the WAFC they do not own themselves and retain their profits. Their money goes into WAFC coffers to fund WA football and some very long lunches.

The Eagles are a different case though. As a subsidiary of the WAFC they do not own themselves and retain their profits. Their money goes into WAFC coffers to fund WA football and some very long lunches.

The Eagles have over $40 million sitting in the bank.

The only way a AFL club can own and operate their own stadium is if more games were played each year, 11 home games will not cut it.

SO..... shorten the length of the game, extend the season or play games mid week etc in a different midweek comp which may not attract as many fans anyway.

Docklands make money from carparking. Many forum members will have sat an exam at a race course, footy stadium, showgrounds etc. Footy grounds often rent out their dining rooms etc for business presentations, conferences, parties etc. Docklands also hosts the AFL offices. The Geelong ground also hosts Geelong's training facilites and offices.

Fremantle are building a $107m training, community and admin facility in Cockburn. Now there is a lot of extra fields, gyms etc in that for the community. But if Geelong did not have their own ground, they would still have to get some sort of facility / office and spend some money on that. If Freo were to build their own football ground in Perth at a cost of $500m - the 'real' cost might be $400m in that they 'save' the $100m the would otherwise have spent on building an admin/training block.

If Collingwood did this (and they won't). You could imagine that they would receive some sort of government payment to leave Olympic Park, and that venue would be redeveloped as part of that sport precinct. Once they then think "we need to spend $100m on a new training / admin facility" it isn't that big a jump to think "let's build a footy ground on top of it".

read the report a bit more closely!
there is also a 10 million advance that westpac gave the pies as part of sponsorship deal! but i will need to find the article!

I have read the report you complete moron. Read the p&l, the grant was not included in the revenue line. Are you able to read a p&l or a basic balance sheet?

Last edited:
Of course the Pies are looking at their own stadium........:rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, what should happen is that the equalisation money, or extra profits or whatever, should go to renovating the Western Oval and Moorabbin for starters and schedule the Dogs and Saints games against interstate clubs at those venues. The SFL and WRFL could use the stadiums for finals. North have Tassie and Ballarat, Hawthorn have Tassie, which really only leaves Melbourne as a lower drawing club without a boutique venue. Let them "own" the MCG like they always have. The bigger clubs don't like Saturday afternoon footy anyway so schedule these boutique games on a Saturday arvo and let the smaller clubs have something they can own. How good would it be for a Dogs fan to catch the train out to Footscray on a Saturday arvo and watch his club play at home.

If you must have late Sunday games then schedule 2pm Perth matches. The Docklands late Sunday thing is bloody awful.
Let me know when you're done playing around with your time machine in the 1980's. We'll need to jump forwards and grab the Tattslotto numbers for the next 5 years to raise the capital you need. Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Geelong and Hawthorn are not going to agree with the AFL wasting the millions of dollars they've generated into funding the redevelopment of mini-stadiums for the Dogs and Saints. Why would they?

We've already got Etihad Stadium. What's wrong with that? It holds 50,000 and the Dogs and Saints can't even fill that arena, so there's hardly any need for them to move. Why do we need more footy grounds that will only be used 3 or 4 times a year and struggle to draw a crowd of 15,000? It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Did you even think this through before you posted?

Collingwood can entertain the idea of a new stadium because they'll have the means to pay for it and they can make it work. Unlike the Bulldogs or St Kilda… More likely Collingwood are just making noise in order to leverage themselves a better deal from the MCC.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

followed by
Essendon
hawthorn, pending on winnings from the AFL & tassie governments, selling of home games & poke machines

Shut up you flog, you are so full of s**t it is not funny. Face it Collingwood is the biggest club financially, your gaming revenue is hardly any lower than Collingwood's if you refer back to the graph it would only be about 1mill difference yet we rely on gaming. Also who cares if money comes from poker machines anyway?
Yes it is sad people develop addictions but people also get addicted to drinking clubs also sell beer what is the difference both have the potential to ruin your life.
Then if you look at the 2 posts from great posts from Hawkk is shows that in the last two years Collingwood's revenue has been higher than Essendon's buy $27 million and yet you put that down to an 11 million government grant. If you want to take that out the $11 million it still means our revenue is 16 million higher over the past two seasons.

Tell me, which football teams are actively promoting smoking to their members? Which football team rely on revenue from smoking addication to stay out of financial trouble?
It matters not, the point they raise is they see your avatar as condoning smoking but you you are taking the moral high ground on issues like poker machines that could be viewed as hypocritical.
Collingwood may own poker machines but they also own pub's serving alcohol serving beer and should we look down upon this because some patrons will be alcoholics? All clubs give a lot back to the community, Collingwood spends millions each year on it's charities so it is not like it is no give and all take.

followed by
Essendon

Are you for real?

Brisbane13 just stop you're just embarassing yourself (again) now...

I want this to happen.... turn Victoria Park into something like Emirates Stadium in Arsenal.

9 clubs into 2 stadiums... dumb dumb dumb
have you ever been to Victoria park??.......there is no space. AFL needs to build a stadium close to Tullamarine, easy access for interstate teams supporters as well as digs for the weekend.

have you ever been to Victoria park??.......there is no space. AFL needs to build a stadium close to Tullamarine, easy access for interstate teams supporters as well as digs for the weekend.

If I was a visitor to Melbourne I'd want to spend time in the CBD, not in the wastelends of the western suburbs. Proximity to Tullamarine is a nonsensical argument

you propose to b build at Vic Park as well ??

logistics have a huge say in dealings........space being one of them.

You talking to me? I dont propose anything. We have enough grounds.

But if one is build, it will be in the city, not the burbs. We made that mistake 40 years ago.

The money sits in the company that owns & operates the Eagles sub-licence has the money in the bank, not the WAFC.

The Eagles paid $6m+ last year into WAFC coffers, absolutely independent of the $40 mil sitting in the clubs bank account.

The Eagles prepaid rent on Subi a few years back as part of a 25 year agreement with the WAFC.

Has a level of transparency Albert, attached is a link of the doc required to be lodged by a public company
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx...0C8!2044&app=WordPdf&authkey=!AF0UPeGzO34U22I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back