Pies look at own stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how many houses they bought around Vic Park during maggie land, but if they managed to hold on to them, they would be worth a squillion by now.

Seems to be a lot of moern units around there now.

And of course the pubs fiasco, which has actually turned out alright.

Unfortunately we had to sell those to pay down debt or we were about to go bankrupt, and sold at fire sale prices.

Like the pubs.

Our history of buying high and selling low does not read well. And its worse than that, the pubs deal wasnt even a real estate transaction, we didnt even purchase the freehold only the leasehold.

The true amount burnt on the pubs is not something disclosed but it cant be less than about 5 million. It definitely did not end up alright.

Things change all the time why would we build a stadium of only 30k would be at least 60k if we built one. You need to look at the long game we are contracted to play our home games at the MCG for another 22 seasons so 2038 is the earliest we could have our own ground. 22 years ago no one would have believed you if you told them that in 20 year they will be paying North of 1 billion dollars for the tv rights

because if you were to build a 60k stadium you would need more than just 11 games a year to fund its maintenance and operation. Remember its not just the cost of building it, but adding new technology, upgrading seats, redoing the turf, upgrading the big screens, etc on an ongoing basis.

There is a reason I'd love you to do this, it would be a money pit of epic proportions

Off track but Optus Oval or whatever it is called now seems to me to be the ideal 3rd stadium.

It's actually not. It's only thought of as superior to the other old suburban grounds because it has the big (relatively) new stand that mad bastard Elliott built.

The rest of the place is/was a shithole, it's a bitch to get to, there's zero parking and s**t public transport.

The ******* AFL isn't big enough to build its own stadium.
Of course they are. hell the VFL built one. The AFL will own one built under it's contractual obligations.

$1b is probably half the next TV deal. Banks would line up to fund it.

Unfortunately, I think the boat has sailed for this.

When most clubs were leaving their suburban grounds, the league and clubs just weren't financially strong enough to redevelop and/or build boutique stadiums in the inner-city. Collingwood really should have looked at redeveloping Vic Park into a 40k+ seat stadium in the '90s, not now.

Any proposed new stadium for a single club would dictate a substantial amount of funding from the public purse and it just isn't justified.

That said, I would have love to have seen a Vic Park, Windy Hill, Moorabbin etc. with 21st century redevelopment.

Imagine if Punt Road Oval was redeveloped into a 35k+ stadium? The Tigers would be unbeatable there, really. Maybe it's too small though, but hopefully you get the point.

Won't ever happen.

Unfortunately, I think the boat has sailed for this.

When most clubs were leaving their suburban grounds, the league and clubs just weren't financially strong enough to redevelop and/or build boutique stadiums in the inner-city. Collingwood really should have looked at redeveloping Vic Park into a 40k+ seat stadium in the '90s, not now.

Any proposed new stadium for a single club would dictate a substantial amount of funding from the public purse and it just isn't justified.

That said, I would have love to have seen a Vic Park, Windy Hill, Moorabbin etc. with 21st century redevelopment.

Imagine if Punt Road Oval was redeveloped into a 35k+ stadium? The Tigers would be unbeatable there, really. Maybe it's too small though, but hopefully you get the point.

Won't ever happen.

What are these 40k stadiums going to do for the 350 days a year they don't host one of 10 AFL home games there?

because if you were to build a 60k stadium you would need more than just 11 games a year to fund its maintenance and operation. Remember its not just the cost of building it, but adding new technology, upgrading seats, redoing the turf, upgrading the big screens, etc on an ongoing basis.

There is a reason I'd love you to do this, it would be a money pit of epic proportions
But just think if we owned the site imagine the money it would pull in, parking, food sales, beer sales and corporate sponsorship and that is on top of the gate. some of the expenses like the turf well at the moment we are paying to maintain 2 grounds so we would save money there

Unfortunately we had to sell those to pay down debt or we were about to go bankrupt, and sold at fire sale prices.

Like the pubs.

Our history of buying high and selling low does not read well. And its worse than that, the pubs deal wasnt even a real estate transaction, we didnt even purchase the freehold only the leasehold.

The true amount burnt on the pubs is not something disclosed but it cant be less than about 5 million. It definitely did not end up alright.
We also owned the old school after it got sold I was told and in the 90s we use to train there over the summer before the cricketers moved out

But just think if we owned the site imagine the money it would pull in, parking, food sales, beer sales and corporate sponsorship and that is on top of the gate. some of the expenses like the turf well at the moment we are paying to maintain 2 grounds so we would save money there

theres a big difference between maintaining a training oval and a match day oval.

also where do you get the notion you will be raking in the money? You wont be paying for it with cash, so interest will be chewing up a massive proportion of your earnings. Also look at comparable stadiums:

Perth - only being built with Govt funding, AND it will host 22 AFL games a year

AO - 22 AFL games, plus cricket, and only done on the back of govt dollars

GABBA - 11 AFL games, plus the cricket

Etihad - 40-44 AFL games a year, plus football, plus T-20, plus rock concerts

You're proposing a 60k stadium with no govt funding, and only 11 games a year. If Carlton couldn't make it work with an established stadium on land they don't need to also buy, I don't know how you can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many games would we envisage Collingwood playing at its new stadium?

I cannot see Collingwood getting more than 7 or 8 games at its own stadium. The blockbusters would still be played at the MCG (Essendon, Hawthorn, and even Geelong & Carlton)

Last edited:
The only way a AFL club can own and operate their own stadium is if more games were played each year, 11 home games will not cut it.

SO..... shorten the length of the game, extend the season or play games mid week etc in a different midweek comp which may not attract as many fans anyway.

theres a big difference between maintaining a training oval and a match day oval.

also where do you get the notion you will be raking in the money? You wont be paying for it with cash, so interest will be chewing up a massive proportion of your earnings. Also look at comparable stadiums:

Perth - only being built with Govt funding, AND it will host 22 AFL games a year

AO - 22 AFL games, plus cricket, and only done on the back of govt dollars

GABBA - 11 AFL games, plus the cricket

Etihad - 40-44 AFL games a year, plus football, plus T-20, plus rock concerts

You're proposing a 60k stadium with no govt funding, and only 11 games a year. If Carlton couldn't make it work with an established stadium on land they don't need to also buy, I don't know how you can.
Their isn't really the surface on both need to be maintained to a high level, why would we not get government funding I mean the keep giving Geelong cash to build their ground? If we were to build the ground part of it would be government funded they may get part from the local government and then we would need to find a private partner to help
Carlton could not get it to work because the ground was to small and impossible to get to, also the fact they did not have lights hurt.

How many games would we envisage Collingwood playing at its new stadium?

I cannot see Collingwood getting more than 7 or 8 games at its own stadium. The blockbusters would still be played at the MCG (Essendon, Hawthorn, and even Geelong & Carlton)
All depends on the size of the ground. If we could get a 60-70k seats all of them if it was 40k like Geelong about the same as you guys host now

All depends on the size of the ground. If we could get a 60-70k seats all of them if it was 40k like Geelong about the same as you guys host now
Can you honestly see something like this happening? I can't see Collingwood doing it on its own, or without giving up the old Olympic Park facility.

Melbourne does need another ground, ground sharing is no good better off having our own ground. Why should Melbourne clubs play home games outside the city and alienate our fans

Mostly because they dont have enough support here. And if they do have enough support then theres plenty of room at Etihad

Their isn't really the surface on both need to be maintained to a high level, why would we not get government funding I mean the keep giving Geelong cash to build their ground? If we were to build the ground part of it would be government funded they may get part from the local government and then we would need to find a private partner to help
Carlton could not get it to work because the ground was to small and impossible to get to, also the fact they did not have lights hurt.

That is a ground in a regional centre, which is also used for other sports. the govt would say you have the G, use that.

why would any govt give hundreds of millions for a stadium in Melbourne that ONE club gets to use?

Can you honestly see something like this happening? I can't see Collingwood doing it on its own, or without giving up the old Olympic Park facility.
If they were to leave Olympic park it would have to be for something better, in the short term no but long term I think it will happen

They are not going to gain support in the country

We're deviating off topic so I wont repsond although Geelog or Ballarat is an ideal expansion option for the Dogs in my opinion.An hour from Melbourne is hardly the country, Frankston isnt much closer. We have enough grounds in Melbourne in my opinion with about 8 and a half teams sharing two grounds (when you exclude home games in Geelong, Hobart, Launceston, Cairns, NZ etc etc etc).

A new stadium would need to be paid for and would require a "stadium deal" that is the reason clubs want out of Etihad in teh first place.

That is a ground in a regional centre, which is also used for other sports. the govt would say you have the G, use that.

why would any govt give hundreds of millions for a stadium in Melbourne that ONE club gets to use?
Who else ever uses Geelongs ground? The Melbourne Rebels play 1 trail game there a year and Victory I think plays one game there. It is exclusively Geelongs ground

Who else ever uses Geelongs ground? The Melbourne Rebels play 1 trail game there a year and Victory I think plays one game there. It is exclusively Geelongs ground

cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back