News Pies overhaul fitness department.

Remove this Banner Ad

That just about says it all. We wait and see.

I was wondering if we should ditch the strength coach when we were recruiting hobbits.....and to ditch the club doctor when the fox article clearly shows that the Reid family has a history of quad injuries.... the question that I ask myself is "are we considering durability and strength when we recruit players?"...I think about the Sberg and his foot problems when we recruited him. Did we test Freeman for hamstring issues before we took him? It makes me wonder

Scharenberg has undergone the exact same procedure that J Thomas did 2 preseasons ago. It is a sesamoid problem that is relatively common condition and given the success of the treatment for Thomas I would assume the club expected (and achieved) similar results for Scharenberg. His ACL is another matter entirely.

I'll link some articles for those that wish to more.

This is from the club regarding Scharenberg.

This one gives some information about the condition.

What was wrong with the old doctor?

Could have had something to do with the soft tissue injury epidemic?

I'm not usually one for job titles, but I think the office of "club doctor" should be replaced by "Chief Medical Officer" to make their responsibility / authority a little more explicit.

Scharenberg has undergone the exact same procedure that J Thomas did 2 preseasons ago. It is a sesamoid problem that is relatively common condition and given the success of the treatment for Thomas I would assume the club expected (and achieved) similar results for Scharenberg. His ACL is another matter entirely.

I'll link some articles for those that wish to more.

This is from the club regarding Scharenberg.

This one gives some information about the condition.

I'm not saying his feet arent fixable. I'm saying that we recruited a player with a problem. I realise that teams have gained by taking these risks - judd, selwood...but I start to wonder when we recruit ben reid who has quad injuries which are apparently a family problem. I wonder if Hine likes to take risks with these things. Durability is an important thing these days. It was just a thought. As you said, the ACLs cant be anticipated.

Good news.

I remember seeing Reid doing his pre-game calf stretches incorrectly so his soft tissue injuries didn't come as a surprise for me.

We definitely need some reform in areas regarding the player's health, fitness and recovery. Don't like injuries at all, especially 5+ injuries at a time.
That's a real concern. Is this something coaches should pick up?would the Dr oversee that sought of stuff.

Good news.

I remember seeing Reid doing his pre-game calf stretches incorrectly so his soft tissue injuries didn't come as a surprise for me.

We definitely need some reform in areas regarding the player's health, fitness and recovery. Don't like injuries at all, especially 5+ injuries at a time.

This keeps coming up, and has been for several years and on several Pies fans forums. Not neccessarily with Reid specifically, but more in the way of (presumably) qualified people - physios etc - commenting on issues they have picked up when observing pre game warm ups, players being treated on the boundary during games, video footage of rehab programmes, strengthening exercises, etc. How could we possibly get this wrong? It is mind boggling. Or is it a difference of professional opinion?

Why are they cutting staff in an area that is so important?
Seems this club is more interested in cutting costs so they don't pay the new equalisation tax rather than winning premierships.

Why are they cutting staff in an area that is so important?
Seems this club is more interested in cutting costs so they don't pay the new equalisation tax rather than winning premierships.

A significant and vocal portion of the membership (who Eddie represents) have made it very very clear that they don't want their precious membership dollars going to prop up opposition clubs.

So I guess the club has responded by bringing themselves under the tax threshold.

So what is the club to do?

Personally I don't think this is a bad thing and I don't see that it's in conflict with our core objectives at all. Sometimes pruning gives the best results.

A significant and vocal portion of the membership (who Eddie represents) have made it very very clear that they don't want their precious membership dollars going to prop up opposition clubs.

So I guess the club has responded by bringing themselves under the tax threshold.

So what is the club to do?

Personally I don't think this is a bad thing and I don't see that it's in conflict with our core objectives at all. Sometimes pruning gives the best results.
Well said. If Hawks & Port are under the threshold than us going over would be suggestive that we are wasteful in areas and need to fix this up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would much rather pay a tax and utilise our resources in the best possible way to win a premiership.

I hope it's true, (nothing on the CFC website yet).
He's the guy who sent Max Rooke to Germany isn't he? If so, that's good 'cos he thinks outside the box.
Just as an aside, (not that I'm usually a media critique) that was a pretty crap article about our new Doctor.
Mentioned bugger all about him and focussed on the injuries.

In all fairness our doctor used a dead man's tendon for Krakouer's knee. Worked amazingly well. But 4 years of injuries indicates something is definitely not right, especially when it's so many repeat soft tissue injuries.

Peter Bacquie and Chris Bradshaw are colleagues at Olympic Park Sports Medicine, as are half the AFL doctors in Victoria, and almost every doc at Collingwood in the last 15 years. This is hardly a major change.

A psychiatrist might.

Why aren't our players seeing one every week? The top golfers all see a psychologist to help them deal with stress and minimise its effect on how they perform. Hell I struggle on a 1 metre putt when the result may cost me the first round at the clubhouse, those guys can lose millions.

I know we have a sports science department, do we have a psychologist at the club? Someone the players must talk to at least once a month. To be honest what they do and the pressure they are under to perform from the media, fans, themselves, teammates and coaching staff. Its a hell of a spot to be in when you are 22 yrs old and don't know your arse from your elbow.

I know we have a sports science department, do we have a psychologist at the club? Someone the players must talk to at least once a month. To be honest what they do and the pressure they are under to perform from the media, fans, themselves, teammates and coaching staff. Its a hell of a spot to be in when you are 22 yrs old and don't know your arse from your elbow.

David Stiff is the go-to-guy for all that stuff. Not a psych per-se but definitely closely involved with player welfare, performance-based thinking, etc. Not many people with a bad word about him.

Why aren't our players seeing one every week? The top golfers all see a psychologist to help them deal with stress and minimise its effect on how they perform. Hell I struggle on a 1 metre putt when the result may cost me the first round at the clubhouse, those guys can lose millions.

We probably had one...but Harry, Heater & Jolly sent him around the bend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back